Starting procedure RPM

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Have a LX2610 with 90 hr. When I first had it I started it a lowest rpm and it started. Lately at 35-40 f it has a hard time starting even with block heater turned on for 2 hours. When it does start it usually is with the throttle open 1/4. The owners manual does not explain the right rpm to start if there is a right rpm?

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
35-40 degrees isn't that cold. I believe two hours of block heating doesn't do much. Does your model allow you to entergize the glow plugs, prior to starting? I'd check the glow plugs. When you open the throttle to start you're putting excessive fuel into the cylinders which isn't good.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Who installed the block heater?

On some models when Block heaters are installed, the Glow Plug controller needs to have the temp input signal source changed through programming to reflect cold outside air temps and not warm block temps.
Unless changed, the GP controller thinks it is a warm day because it is sensing block temp which is artificially warmed and provides little to no GP on time. This creates hard starting situations in my experience which seems crazy unless you understand what is happening.

Dave.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: This creates hard starting situations in my experience which seems crazy unless you understand what is happening.

Makes perfect sense once you know 'how it works'.

The real crazy thing is the 'engineers' know it can be cold, so they add glowplugs and controller, should KNOW owners will add block heaters(it's an option ! ), so they should have added an 'ambient air temperature' sensor to the 'computer'. For less than a dollar (USA or CDN) the problem is solved.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
re: This creates hard starting situations in my experience which seems crazy unless you understand what is happening.

The real crazy thing is the 'engineers' know it can be cold, so they add glowplugs and controller, should KNOW owners will add block heaters(it's an option ! ), so they should have added an 'ambient air temperature' sensor to the 'computer'. For less than a dollar (USA or CDN) the problem is solved.
Jay, you're just being too logical.;) With the ability to see things like this in today's world you'll lead a frustrating life. I think when people come up with ideas, engineers confirm functions and operating conditions, and manufacturing begins the real fine details are left out. The consumer finds those! Things like this situation show up!

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Have a LX2610 with 90 hr. When I first had it I started it a lowest rpm and it started. Lately at 35-40 f it has a hard time starting even with block heater turned on for 2 hours. When it does start it usually is with the throttle open 1/4. The owners manual does not explain the right rpm to start if there is a right rpm?
I have a B2650 which is the predecessor of your LX2610. The owners manual does have a recommended throttle setting that is a bit above dead idle for starting. I don't have a block heater and have never felt like it needed one even in the dead of winter in Michigan. I do use the glow plugs for 5 to 10 seconds . On the 2650 the glow plugs seem to be entirely manual, they are on if the key switch is held against the spring.

If any of this sounds like it applies to your tractor, I suggest you put throttle above idle by a couple hundred rpm before you shut it off and use glow plugs for at least 5 seconds, and skip the block heater now that it is spring. See how that works, and let us know.

Just looked at your location,and it may not be spring yet. 10 seconds of glow if temps above 15F.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

The problem with that solution is….. if the tractor HAS been running….and shut off for a short while….an AIR temp sensor will provide the incorrect input.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
35-40 degrees isn't that cold. I believe two hours of block heating doesn't do much. Does your model allow you to entergize the glow plugs, prior to starting? I'd check the glow plugs. When you open the throttle to start you're putting excessive fuel into the cylinders which isn't good.
The dealer put in the heater I believe. They are in Anchorage, Alaska and should know what they are doing?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have a B2650 which is the predecessor of your LX2610. The owners manual does have a recommended throttle setting that is a bit above dead idle for starting. I don't have a block heater and have never felt like it needed one even in the dead of winter in Michigan. I do use the glow plugs for 5 to 10 seconds . On the 2650 the glow plugs seem to be entirely manual, they are on if the key switch is held against the spring.

If any of this sounds like it applies to your tractor, I suggest you put throttle above idle by a couple hundred rpm before you shut it off and use glow plugs for at least 5 seconds, and skip the block heater now that it is spring. See how that works, and let us know.

Just looked at your location,and it may not be spring yet. 10 seconds of glow if temps above 15F.
Yes, I was putting the GP's on for at least that amount. Seems it will only start after repeated tries. I think the head finally heats up and it starts at about 15 - 1800 rpm?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes, I was putting the GP's on for at least that amount. Seems it will only start after repeated tries. I think the head finally heats up and it starts at about 15 - 1800 rpm?
The only other thing I do is leave it on a battery tender when not in use. That makes a big difference to easy starting in cold weather since I don’t use my tractor every day.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make a video of you starting it, post it on You tube, then give us a link to see it.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Who installed the block heater?

On some models when Block heaters are installed, the Glow Plug controller needs to have the temp input signal source changed through programming to reflect cold outside air temps and not warm block temps.
Unless changed, the GP controller thinks it is a warm day because it is sensing block temp which is artificially warmed and provides little to no GP on time. This creates hard starting situations in my experience which seems crazy unless you understand what is happening.

Dave.
The LX2610 is a mechanical motor no computer for the engine or the tractor. Only the operator presence module but that only controls the fuel shut off solenoid to shut down the motor if you leave the seat without hitting the PTO enable button

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The LX2610 is a mechanical motor no computer for the engine or the tractor. Only the operator presence module but that only controls the fuel shut off solenoid to shut down the motor if you leave the seat without hitting the PTO enable button
Yes, but even some older models have a variable timer on the glow plugs. The timer uses a second coolant temp. sensor that causes the plugs to heat longer when the coolant is cold. The block heater can make the timer think the engine is warmed up, even though the intake isn't.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
From sheepfarmer, it sounds as though the LX is like the B2601: a manual stop between "on" and "stop" and count 1-2-3. If really cold, put the throttle at 1/2 and throttle back once smooth enough, and you might need more than 3 seconds (but likely not). Except for the manual stop, this is the same starting procedure I used on the 1983 Benz 240D we had for 25 years (it only ever took those 3 seconds of auto glow time). The 1973 Benz 220D had a manual stop for its really old, slow glow plugs.

Should not need to run the block heater for more than 20 minutes. Otherwise, you're pouring electrical energy into the heater and just releasing the heat through the radiator.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
My LX2610 starts reliably at dead idle regardless of ambient temp with 4-5 seconds of glow plugs. No block heater. Stored in a covered, unheated shed.

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
If my B2650 is being shut down and not started until cold again, I set the throttle for around 1250-1300 RPM BEFORE shutting it down warm. That way it's in a good start and warmup rpm range when I start it up dead cold. 5-10 seconds glow, then go.
The block heater WILL EASILY warm the engine coolant in 2 hours. Even one hour makes a huge difference in how easily it starts. There's not very much coolant in these little 1.3L 3-cylinder blocks.

Reactions: 1 user