square baler

budpat105

Equipment
L3800
Aug 13, 2013
Jacksonville,il
I'm thinking about getting a square baler to use with my L3800. Is that enough tractor to do small field? What balers should I stay away from? Thanks

hank2000

Equipment
Kabota L3000F
Aug 27, 2016
louisville
It's a little small but I remember dad using a 1966 ford gas burner to cut rack and square bale. Just took longer If I were doing it today I would want a 45 or 50 horse. Just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You might mow with a small sickle bar mower. You have plenty of power to pull a rake. I use my L3000 to pull a 8 wheel v-rake without any issues. Baling will be your problem. The smallest baler NH builds requires 35 pto hp which you are close to but a few hp is huge when you're on the low end of the scale.

Instead of buying all this equipment, do you have any neighbors that bale hay?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You might talk to the guys at Tractor Tools Direct. They carry a lot of stuff that is designed for small landowners. I just looked at their site and only saw mini round balers, but they probably know the rest of the field and could point you to small square balers if they don't have any. I got my flail mower there, happy with service.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back when I was a kid the guy down the road used a small ford tractor and pulled a self powered Case square baler. So the PTO wich Im not sure he even had was not involved, it just had what seemed to me to be one BIG MoFo horizonal shaft motor on the side of it. I dont know the model I just know it spit out bales and we loaded them in to the back of a 57 ford pick up

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Buddy tried small squares with his new deere. Took only a couple bales to realize
a bigger tractor is the answer. Problem is the plunger oscillates the tractor, creating some operating difficulty. Be aware of parts availability before you buy anything. Also research is your best friend.

Same buddy is on the hunt for what is the best baler,as they bales for sale. Small round is the easiest but hard to manage with small machines.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It's below optimum size. There are different sizes of square balers. You want to stay away from the big ones. Older models you would want to stay away from would be JD 24T. You would want the 14 T. On New Holland, you would to with a 68 vs a 78. Back in the day, JD and NH made the best square balers. Probably still do.

You'll want to rake small windrows and run in a low gear. You don't have enough power to run the baler at full capacity, but it should still work. I used to do clean up once in a while with a Farmall H with 23 HP, a first gear that was too fast, and no live PTO. It worked, but you needed to be thinking ahead.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
I've been using an old IH 440 Square Baler behind my 1979 L245DT for the past 4 years. 6 acres grass hay. Yes it wiggles the tractor when sitting still and running the baler at rated RPM. Once moving, not a problem. Just my 2cents worth.