Speaking of shed upgrades...

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
hotshop21.jpg

Got some inexpensive linkable LED shop lights from Amazon. Around $40 for a 4 pack. Like the light, like the mounting system (clips). Remains to be seen how long they last.

Gonna run a row down the other side of the shop. Running on an extension cord for now, need to install a switched outlet for each row of lights.

Reactions: 1 user

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
View attachment 61550

Got some inexpensive linkable LED shop lights from Amazon. Around $40 for a 4 pack. Like the light, like the mounting system (clips). Remains to be seen how long they last.

Gonna run a row down the other side of the shop. Running on an extension cord for now, need to install a switched outlet for each row of lights.
Looking good. I also have some of those lights in my shed that I run off a generator in the Fall/Winter when daylight is at a premium.....cheap and bright. Clips have held so far......fingers crossed

tbeckett

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Monroe Tufline Disc, Woods Bush Hog, 60" Grapple
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, MS
Jimmy, I did it that way because it's easier to modify if changes are needed down the road. Also, I don't have to worry about wiring in the wall being damaged when I hang shelves and such. Plus, it makes insulation much easier to do and more efficient as you don't have to work around wiring and boxes.

Houses are wired through the walls for aesthetics - most industrial wiring is done in conduit.
I put wiring in a couple walls in my shop. I have now decided to finish out the other walls and put the wiring on the surface in conduit like you have done for the same reasons you mentioned. Live and learn!

After all it is a SHOP! Function over form in many areas!

Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Wow...been a while since I updated this thread...

After flip-flopping around for weeks trying to get the power company to work with me, I finally decided on a plan for running power to the building. One major hang-up was getting someone to set a pole, but I finally managed that:

pole1.jpg

pole2.jpg

Took about half an hour with the right toys. I may have the only property in coastal Maine where you can drive a post hole digger out of sight without hitting ledge. The "inspector" blessed the plan and scheduled the hookup. Hoping that will happen by the end of this week.

hotshop22.jpg

hotshop23.jpg

Hung the last of the drywall, got the ceiling trim mostly done, built a bench along the South and West walls.

I may live to regret my choice of materials for the bench. Framed up with 2x6, screwed to the wall studs and 4x4 legs on the outboard end...all of which is fine. Framing topped with 1/2 CDX which is...okay. Normally I'd use 3/4 but the price is just stupid.

The real questionable part is that I used 3/4 inch melanine-sheathed particle board for the finish top. Suspect that may come back to bite me in the butt. Again, decision driven by price - A/C plywood (my usual go-to) is over $100 a sheet! Worst comes to worst, I'll either take it off (it's just screwed on from underneath) and replace it when (if...) prices come down, or cover it with some black iron sheet (if the price is any kind of reasonable at all).

The "chicken coop" got cleaned out good, pressure-washed, disinfected/de-odorized and the 275 gallon fuel oil tank is in place and plumbed up. Power has been run for the air compressor and eventual furnace. My furnace guy is looking for a suitable trailer or cottage base hot air unit.

BTW, the shop press won't live there, I'm waiting to move some of the big stuff in first before I decide where to put it.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Paul, this is looking really great! I think you are making good decisions to spend money on things that are hard to change later. You have good power, insulation and space. You can easily upgrade work bench tops later.
Respect!

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I also like your plan to put the noisy air compressor out in the old chicken coop. Mine is right in my work space. :mad:

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
tank.jpg

Still piddling around with little stuff while I wait for the power company to hook me up. Finally (after 3 weeks of asking) got a window when I can expect that to happen: 8/25 to 9/14. Sigh.

The above is a shot of the "chicken coop" end of the building with the oil tank installed and plumbed and the air dryer loop mounted to the wall. The compressor will go on the left side of that picture with a riser up the left wall and across the ceiling to the air dryer. There'll be an extra drain leg on the riser at the compressor and the compressor will be attached via a flexible braided hose to cut down on vibration.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Ran a loop of 3/4" RapidAir Maxline today. A kit with all the fittings (less the chuck) for three drops and 100' of tubing was $200-ish.

VERY nice stuff, the air blocks are nicely machined out of billet aluminum, all the fittings are either stainless or brass, and includes drain valves at each drop.

I was a little worried about bending the tubing without kinking it, but it turns out the 3/4" conduit bender I bought for the electrical work is perfect for that.

If I was going to run a LOT of that tubing, I'd make or buy the straightener for it (it comes coiled up) but I managed with a 3 foot piece of appropriately-sized PVC and the trusty Beer Belly Clamp.

Still waiting on the electrons, hoping for this week coming. Pretty much everything else is done, less the furnace. Keeping an eye on Craigslist for that and if it doesn't happen by cold weather, I'm pretty sure my propane salamander will git 'er done as well insulated as the building is.

Reactions: 2 users

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Spotted a down-draft mobile home furnace on Craigslist for what seemed like a fair price and only 100 miles away.

Been seeing all sorts of furnaces, but they're either priced into the stratosphere, located way-the-hell down around Portland or Kittery, complete junk or all of the above. A lot of "The heat exchanger is cracked but it works okay" stuff.

This one was $250, just removed from the shop and works fine, solid heat exchanger, just needs a thermostat. Sounded too good to be true but had to go look at it. Amazingly, it was just as advertised and included the tank valve and filter canister along with a bunch of chimney and ductwork tin.

I'll build a base/plenum to set it on and connect the ductwork to and have my furnace guy whip a tuneup on it and I should be good for heat.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Spotted a down-draft mobile home furnace on Craigslist for what seemed like a fair price and only 100 miles away.

Been seeing all sorts of furnaces, but they're either priced into the stratosphere, located way-the-hell down around Portland or Kittery, complete junk or all of the above. A lot of "The heat exchanger is cracked but it works okay" stuff.

This one was $250, just removed from the shop and works fine, solid heat exchanger, just needs a thermostat. Sounded too good to be true but had to go look at it. Amazingly, it was just as advertised and included the tank valve and filter canister along with a bunch of chimney and ductwork tin.

I'll build a base/plenum to set it on and connect the ductwork to and have my furnace guy whip a tuneup on it and I should be good for heat.

Awesome! Nothing like a great find. I replaced my 1960's boiler a few years ago with a used 2012 boiler I found on CL. It was only about 40 mins away and was priced at 400$ Just as described. It was only four years old at the time. House was flipped and converted to gas. Only thing that sucked was homeowner told me it was just a "few" steps out of the basement. We got there and it ended up being a full depth basement. ha ha ha So a little more effort but couldn't beat the price!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
WOOHOO!!! I finally have power! Talking to the crew, they have 14 men to cover the entire county, so that explains some of the delays. The rest was bureaucratic BS.

Now I can start moving in!

Reactions: 3 users

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
There are sparks coming off the rivets on my ass pockets!

Hit it at 5:30 this morning. Wired up the welder outlet, moved two welders and plasma cutter into their new home.

Also moved and set up the 2x72 belt grinder, the porta-band with it's stand, the drill press with cross-feed table and vise, and adapted a HEAVY metal table for the bench grinder.

Moved the big tool box and the shelf/drawer unit and all contents.

Also moved a couple of pallet loads of little stuff. The forks on the Cabota got a workout!

Younger Grandson is scheduled to be here tomorrow and we'll heave the furnace up on the stand/plenum and move the air compressor and lathe.

Then there's just a couple of days worth of wiring and plumbing the air compressor, running the ductwork for the furnace and moving all the little schtuff down from the garage. Prolly wind up putting up a sheet's worth of pegboard too.

Ordered $500 worth of welded metal 18 drawer parts cabinets from ULine so I can organize all my hardware and get rid of the raggedy old cabinet it's in now. If it weren't screwed to the wall, it'd collapse. After I move the left-over construction materials and clear up another 8 feet of wall, I have another parts bin to get down there too. I should go through it and throw about half that crap away.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Great to hear, but remember, no pictures it didn’t happen!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Grandson showed up on schedule and we moved the heavy stuff. The lathe was ALL the Kubota wanted to pick up. I didn't have room to hang anything off the back for a counterweight while maneuvering in the garage and as I transitioned from the garage floor to the driveway, I got daylight under the left rear. Once I got it outside and unclenched my cheeks enough to get out of the cab, I went down and put the mower on the back. MUCH happier that way.

The compressor was a bit of a beast to work with once we got it in it's space, but there's JUST enough clearance to close the door.

Picking the furnace up and setting on it's pedestal/plenum turned out to be pretty anti-climatic in comparison.

Now I just have to finish plumbing the air, wire up the motor starter for the compressor, wire the safeties for the furnace and run the duct work. Shop is usable as is except for the lack of air.

finshop1.jpg

finshop2.jpg

finshop3.jpg

finshop4.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Very impressive setup. I’m jealous.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Awesome thread PHPaul! Goes to show you what you can do when you have a plan and work that plan.
If your air compressor is too noisy for you there is a simple noise dampener you can try. Just hang an old blanket on the inside common wall of that room.
In any case, great project!

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Man oh man am I jealous! Looks mighty fine! I look forward to the day I can have a set up like that. Building slowly but surely.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
What make is your 2 x 72 belt grinder? I have a Bader III and a old Wilton square wheel both set up with variable speed controllers . I also have a home made 2 x 72 contraption that I have the belt running horizontal with a small diameter (5/8) contact wheel and Platen. No vari speed for this one though.
As you know very useful machines!
Your shop looks great!

Last edited: