Spacers - Front and Rear, or Rear Only?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Ok, but try living the practical world for a bit...LOL.

It is all a matter of what the net effect is...both front axle pivot friction and wind are likely minimal to the point of being non issues...
That's the exact point of why you guys are slitting hairs. Rear spacers add enough real world stability that it's worth the expense and extra wear and tear on equipment. Lot's of bang for your buck. Front spacers do add to stability as the math proves, but to a MUCH lesser degree at normal 'tractoring' speeds. If you use your head you should not need that very small percentage of added stability the front spacers add to avoid tipping over. ... to the point of being a non issue ;)

Both you guys are technically right, and no one is implying narrower is better. It does make for a good discussion though.

And I have to add that if you have an open station with a rigid canopy in high winds, that can go from 'non issue' to 'oh crap issue' very quickly.

Kingphyshe

Equipment
L3901
Nov 19, 2020
SW Louisiana
This conversation was not a waste, and I appreciate everyone standing their ground to make their case. I have been looking into the same subject and you bring up GREAT points in both sides of the debate. For me, no front spacers. I have been trying to decide how wide I want to go - for example, where is the peak of stability achieved before you are causing more stress than additional width provides additional stability. I have a 3901 and I think 3 inches both sides would provide stability but any wider could be a diminishing return. With 3 inches at each wheel, I would think my front tires would still be in the tread line with the rear tires (think trailer loading problems if the tires are too far offset), and a 5 1/2 foot width would be plenty. WITHOUT setting anyone's head on fire....Am I on the right path, or is "go big or go home" the right approach?

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
This conversation was not a waste, and I appreciate everyone standing their ground to make their case. I have been looking into the same subject and you bring up GREAT points in both sides of the debate. For me, no front spacers. I have been trying to decide how wide I want to go - for example, where is the peak of stability achieved before you are causing more stress than additional width provides additional stability. I have a 3901 and I think 3 inches both sides would provide stability but any wider could be a diminishing return. With 3 inches at each wheel, I would think my front tires would still be in the tread line with the rear tires (think trailer loading problems if the tires are too far offset), and a 5 1/2 foot width would be plenty. WITHOUT setting anyone's head on fire....Am I on the right path, or is "go big or go home" the right approach?
I started this innocently enough and was surprised how many people responded. I did end up buying 3" spacers for my B2620, rear only. I had the same trailer loading concerns, which finally helped me decide not to go wider. The tractor feels much more stable, but I have not done a whole lot with it yet. I am satisifed with my choice. And, as a side note, I had trouble getting two of the lugs out on one side. I was able to install the new one back in one, but the other only would thread in part way - the threads in the hub were messed up. So I ended up putting finish nuts on the inside of the hub on that side. It was either that or replace the hub. I check them occasionally, but don't expect any issues.
Tim

Captainuno

Equipment
Kubota L3350DT/New Holland TC30
Oct 12, 2019
Southern California
Spacers for the front....hmmm, well as a former dealer I can tell you it is not recommended. In reply #29 there is reference to a front axle kit, however it is just for clearance issues for the bigger R4 tires, not for stability purposes, as I remember the kit is 3/4" wide.
The reason they do not recommend spacers on the front is because of the way Kubota makes their front axles, the way it is set up is the bearings on the front stub axle are aligned with the front tire, if you moved the front wheel out from that alignment then you will stress the stub axle bearings, it makes it even worse if you have a front implement installed on your tractor because of the weight.
If any of you have a tractor with the front outer seal leaking and you take it to a dealer to have repaired, make sure they replace the inner and outer bearings on the front axle. The seal is leaking because your bearings are worn, also have them check the housings where the bearings seat to make sure they fit tight.

Reactions: 1 users

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
So on a cabbed LX 3310, 1.5“, 2”, 3”, what width do you guys think would be the best combination of
stability and least detrimental to drivetrain? I have R14’s. Rear only, lol, Thanks

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
So on a cabbed LX 3310, 1.5“, 2”, 3”, what width do you guys think would be the best combination of
stability and least detrimental to drivetrain? I have R14’s. Rear only, lol, Thanks
depends how wide your implements are and how wide your current track is with R14s. Rear tire track with R4s is ~54", adding just 3" to rear track starts coming very close to 60" implements.

D

Deleted member 47704

My LX2610 SU with the big tires is 57" in the back and loaded I am never uncomfortable