Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Maybe just chase the old lady around the house, if you know what I’m sayin’. 😋

Wish you luck.

I could chase the old lady around but wouldn’t remember what to do if I caught her…..if you know what I’m sayin’. 🥺
I chased, I caught, I remembered what to do, then she proceeded to run me off before I could follow through! :cry:
I'll try again later! 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I've also watched his channel since he started the rebuilding of his "Tally Ho" sailboat. What a project he has, along with the skills to do the work. Wishing he was closer, as that would be a great working vacation to take part in!!

Love those old wooden boats, whether powered by sail, oars or the old diesel putt putts.
Have plans for building a nice Whitehall rowboat......maybe one day??

A return trip to go through the Mystic Seaport Museum has been high on the bucket list as well.

David
Unreal the attention to detail and the genius.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i can relate

i built the shop for days like this. There is plenty to do in the shop.

--however--the shop heater quit. Ok cool, use the torpedo, it works good. It quit too (this morning). Race car needs brakes, got everything, found wheel studs have issues. Ordered them last Monday. Tracked it today (saturday). Sent from Florida, got to memphis, sent back to Florida, now they're on the way-running late. "Winter weather" delay. Well I went to work without issue what the heck?? Well I have other stuff to do. Started to service the bike. Nope. Battery dead, nobody got one. Hurry up and wait for that. Need to put injectors, cups, gaskets, fluids and such in the truck. Can't do that, won't fit in the shop with a dead race car and a dead bike sitting in there and I can't move the race car because the wheels won't go back on (studs). Had a couple lathe projects to knock out so I bundled up and started. Jackshaft bearing in the lathe decided to take a dump while facing one of my jobs. Ok run into town and get a couple 6204 bearings. Yeah sure, everything's seized up. Got bearings. Got the jackshaft apart, nope..6204's are different than 6204's. Apparently these are oddballs, have a 19.05mm bore where most 6204's have a 20mm. Book is wrong. Called Clausing, originals are no longer available and they told me just use 6204. Well 6204 wont' work!! That project is dead in the water til I can find some 6204-12-2rs. The -12 means they're oddballs. Well I guess I can service the boat while I'm waiting. Well nope because the boat is IN the race car trailer and it's like 10 degrees inside the trailer, no air to run the evacuator, then when it comes time to drain the lower unit? Let it sit about a week and maybe it'll all be drained out. Well I'm running out of ideas to keep me busy. Can't work on the trailer out in the cold/ice, everything's frozen. Door won't even open because it's frozen shut. Mustang needs 2 new mufflers and a header gasket. Can't do that because the shop is full of crap that don't run/move. Mom's Kubota also sitting in the shop, motor is off of it because dad had been using ether to start it for the last year, broke 2 pistons-those are ordered and apparently with the same fate as the wheels studs for the car, ain't showed up yet.

I can't fish, can't hunt in this cold my feet get frozen immediately and my fingers don't work once they're cold-which takes maybe 15 minutes with down gloves on. Can't go ride the utv cause it's too cold, fingers quit working, it's just not any fun when it's cold. Not at all. Tried the other day on the snow, got 15 miles and decided that's enough....didn't DARE turn the key off because I knew I couldn't turn it back on (fingers get cold and don't work).

So yeah when it's like this, I don't do anything but sit in the house and do work stuff (pt remote job) which also sucks.

when i was a kid I loved to play in the snow but i ain't a kid anymore. Everything hurts or doesn't work when it's cold out. Plus it's almost always cloudy and/or rainy, snowy, or icing this time of year. Depressing.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Fortunately I have a heated shop and heated daylight basement I spend the winter working in.
Perhaps in warmer weather you can work on insulating a work space for the next winter. Wither it be a current garage or even a new 14 x 20 shed with work space, insulationed floor ceiling and walls ect.
Yes I know everything cost money.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks for all of the feedback. Couple of things I need to work on moving forward.

One, is outdoor work space I can heat in any weather. This will likely be my house garage as insulating / heating the pole barn was would be a huge undertaking.

Two, I need to upgrade my " Basement Hobbies ". I was once a pretty active reloader and have the bench and all equipment set up but I don't do much unloading these days. You need both to have a fresh supply of brass. ( I did spend one day of this hostage situation oiling and fondling the armory ). Oh, and I might buy an Xbox.

Tomorrow the weather breaks after 11 days of confinement. Can't wait.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Get yourself a high energy terrier mix dog like mine and believe me you wont be bored!
20211205_063354.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
If you have a PS3 or PS4, or a fast PC. Try out the video game Fallout. There are various editions... New Vegas is really good.

Years ago, EVEN my wife played it. And she's not tech savvy.

You can get lost in that world for months. It's ADICTIVE and fun. And harmless.
You love the soundtrack to new Vegas. Great game

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
i can relate

i built the shop for days like this. There is plenty to do in the shop.

--however--the shop heater quit. Ok cool, use the torpedo, it works good. It quit too (this morning). Race car needs brakes, got everything, found wheel studs have issues. Ordered them last Monday. Tracked it today (saturday). Sent from Florida, got to memphis, sent back to Florida, now they're on the way-running late. "Winter weather" delay. Well I went to work without issue what the heck?? Well I have other stuff to do. Started to service the bike. Nope. Battery dead, nobody got one. Hurry up and wait for that. Need to put injectors, cups, gaskets, fluids and such in the truck. Can't do that, won't fit in the shop with a dead race car and a dead bike sitting in there and I can't move the race car because the wheels won't go back on (studs). Had a couple lathe projects to knock out so I bundled up and started. Jackshaft bearing in the lathe decided to take a dump while facing one of my jobs. Ok run into town and get a couple 6204 bearings. Yeah sure, everything's seized up. Got bearings. Got the jackshaft apart, nope..6204's are different than 6204's. Apparently these are oddballs, have a 19.05mm bore where most 6204's have a 20mm. Book is wrong. Called Clausing, originals are no longer available and they told me just use 6204. Well 6204 wont' work!! That project is dead in the water til I can find some 6204-12-2rs. The -12 means they're oddballs. Well I guess I can service the boat while I'm waiting. Well nope because the boat is IN the race car trailer and it's like 10 degrees inside the trailer, no air to run the evacuator, then when it comes time to drain the lower unit? Let it sit about a week and maybe it'll all be drained out. Well I'm running out of ideas to keep me busy. Can't work on the trailer out in the cold/ice, everything's frozen. Door won't even open because it's frozen shut. Mustang needs 2 new mufflers and a header gasket. Can't do that because the shop is full of crap that don't run/move. Mom's Kubota also sitting in the shop, motor is off of it because dad had been using ether to start it for the last year, broke 2 pistons-those are ordered and apparently with the same fate as the wheels studs for the car, ain't showed up yet.

I can't fish, can't hunt in this cold my feet get frozen immediately and my fingers don't work once they're cold-which takes maybe 15 minutes with down gloves on. Can't go ride the utv cause it's too cold, fingers quit working, it's just not any fun when it's cold. Not at all. Tried the other day on the snow, got 15 miles and decided that's enough....didn't DARE turn the key off because I knew I couldn't turn it back on (fingers get cold and don't work).

So yeah when it's like this, I don't do anything but sit in the house and do work stuff (pt remote job) which also sucks.

when i was a kid I loved to play in the snow but i ain't a kid anymore. Everything hurts or doesn't work when it's cold out. Plus it's almost always cloudy and/or rainy, snowy, or icing this time of year. Depressing.
THIS is EXACTLY why some of us old folks spend our Winters in Florida! ;)

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I was into that hobby heavily back in the day. Kit-built, scratch-built, built from plans only, boats, planes, trucks, 2&4-stroke gas, nitro and more. Planes from 36" - 11ft wingspans. Gas and nitro boats in lengths from 18" pickleforks to 48" offshore. I haven't touched any of it in 15+ years.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Was kinda sick last night. Coughing junk up. Woke up this AM and passed a DIY Covid test. Was tired, coughing and achy. Felt great this afternoon. Still hacking loose stuff out. HAD TO DO SOMETHING, so I went out and tested a new tool. Some of you will recognize these:

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Was kinda sick last night. Coughing junk up. Woke up this AM and passed a DIY Covid test. Was tired, coughing and achy. Felt great this afternoon. Still hacking loose stuff out. HAD TO DO SOMETHING, so I went out and tested a new tool. Some of you will recognize these:
That’s groovy. (At least that’s what it reminds me of)🥃

• Haha

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
That’s groovy. (At least that’s what it reminds me of)🥃
Right you are:) After 5 years of use, the outsides of the front tires were getting worn quite a bit and needed some freshening up.. The rears are still in pretty good shape. Previously borrowed a groover from a guy some distance away, but finally bought one so I can fiddle when desired. Maybe I'll play with some additional grooves for a sort of DIY R14-ish tread.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Right you are:) After 5 years of use, the outsides of the front tires were getting worn quite a bit and needed some freshening up.. The rears are still in pretty good shape. Previously borrowed a groover from a guy some distance away, but finally bought one so I can fiddle when desired. Maybe I'll play with some additional grooves for a sort of DIY R14-ish tread.
Which tool did you purchase? (Make / model)

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Which tool did you purchase? (Make / model)
This one:

The same model that I've borrowed from a guy at work. He worked mostly in the State College area and I was based in Lancaster County. We had trucks going back and forth frequently, so we'd use them as a messenger service. I'd send him a gift certificate when returning the tool. Now that I'm retired, it isn'[t as easy to make the connections.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Better buy it without hesitation. It's the same one I have and I paid $78 for it 4 years ago!

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
You can still get them with one head for just under $100. I wanted both the #4 and #8 heads and blades. The original grooves are #4, but the #8 looked like the ticket for larger grooves for the R14 type pattern.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
I'm jealous, I have a todo list that will probably outlive me, probably by two lifetimes. Its just amazing to me that someone can have everything they need done in their personal and home lives and be bored. I miss that feeling, I don't think I've been bored since being in school and having summers off with nothing really to do, even then we always found something to do.