Soooo Booored !!

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
We're in day 9 of the cold snap. One really needs a good reason to be outside longer than the time it takes to shuttle from the truck to the door. ( no livestock here ).

I'm going crazy. My wife would love me to find somewhere else to stir about. Even my go to back up which is high school basketball games where I don't know any of the kids are canceled due to the weather.

What do you northern folks do to fill the days and nights during winter? Sitting around the house is very uncomfortable to me and the Mrs is giving me the stank eye. Suggestions?

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Indoor hobby?

I write, build models, play video games(when I'm super bored), catch up on reading or research a topic folks could care less about(see some of my older posts). If you have a warm garage restore something or learn how to weld. If all of these things are tied to money.....reading from the Internet on your favorite topic or a local library. Just a few thoughts.....

Reactions: 1 users

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I do hit the public library a couple nights a week and read papers. There a couple of hours.

-1 F and windy currently. Typically, we don't have this weather so I don't have insulated / heated sheds. Currently, it's 19 in my attached garage with two sides to the house!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Read a good book with a glass of wine or bottle of whiskey.

Take a nap.

Build military model a kit while watching old war movies with a glass of beer or bottle of whiskey.

Take a nap.

Play solitair and eat sunflower seeds.

Take a nap.

Plow the driveway again.

Take a nap.

Fix that toilet, door, light, fan, cabinet, etc.

Take a nap.

Reactions: 3 users

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Larry,

I also watch a YouTube channel, James Townsend and sons and do 18th century cooking. It can be fun sometimes. The cookbooks can be downloaded from various sites and seeing how the recipe turns out is fun. Your wife may want to join in.

Ron

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
No problem staying occupied till our 4YO goes to bed. Meetings a couple evenings each moth. Pistol competition one night a week. Then there is the 'net stuff like a couple tractor boards, FabRats, Matts Offroad, Trail Mater, Casey Ladelle and various rabbit holes.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’d be a great time to reload ammo, unless all your stuff has been lost in a boating accident 😉.

Also if have any hobbies or potential hobbies, you might check and see if any of them have any sort of seminars / classes. (Sort of hard to plan those to a cold snap though)

If all else fails get ahead on PMs on the machines / toys if you have a warm shop.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have some insulated coveralls, a hood that is wool fleece lined, double legged jeans, Sorel Caribou winter boots, a few pairs of gloves and head out.

Drive slow, view the landscape, watch for deer. When I get too the farm I get a bucket of range cubes and feed the critters, check the pump at the well and within 20-30 minutes I am back in the truck moseying someplace else. Just get out, and be prepared for the worst (like a flat tire)!

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Too much you tube, presently watching Sampson Boat Co, about restoring a 1910 wooden sailboat, Fascinating stuff! Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Here's an idea - do a walkthrough video of your house slowing down in the kitchen and bathroom.
We will give you suggestions on stuff to improve. :)

Or, build one of these. IMGP0876.JPG IMGP0871.JPG

• Love

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is why I have a 1000sf heated attached garage / shop.
gets me out of the "house". 😁

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I've been kinda down now for week 3 from my second knee replacement. Doing ok but still lots of limitations

• Sad

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If you have a PS3 or PS4, or a fast PC. Try out the video game Fallout. There are various editions... New Vegas is really good.

Years ago, EVEN my wife played it. And she's not tech savvy.

You can get lost in that world for months. It's ADICTIVE and fun. And harmless.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Good ideas fellas. Just got back from a work day out. Unfortunately, many work days are at home ( which I hate ). I think I'm spoiled as we can generally get out of the house during the winter here in MO. One more day of cold and it breaks. I may, however, look at a Play Station or whatever the competition is, I don't recall but know its contemptuous.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maybe just chase the old lady around the house, if you know what I’m sayin’. 😋

Wish you luck.

I could chase the old lady around but wouldn’t remember what to do if I caught her…..if you know what I’m sayin’. 🥺

Last edited:
  • Haha

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Go have lunch at a Mexican restaurant with wife that isn't close. Should eat up about 3 hours.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Do like I did yesterday: go mow something and post pics of it to piss off your northern neighbors. 🙂

• Haha
  • Love

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
What do you northern folks do to fill the days and nights during winter? Sitting around the house is very uncomfortable to me and the Mrs is giving me the stank eye. Suggestions?
Even being retired, I can't find enough time in the day to become bored. :)

Here's a few things that occupy my time in the cold winter months up here close to the 49th parallel:

Basic repairs and projects that require welding and light machining, both necessary and/or for fun.
Repair and restoration of vintage Hamilton Beach malt mixers, sewing machines, etc. for myself and others
Repair old safe locks and assist a locksmith buddy in some safe cracking and combo changes.
I used to do some woodcarving in my younger days. Still do some wood turning.
Reload some varmint ammo for the upcoming season.
Theres always work to be done on the ol' Willys Jeep and Army "Mule".
There's a few vintage outboard motors in the que for refurbishing.
Also have some RC aircraft that have been mothballed since losing our airstrip to urban "sprawl"
Have an old Kenwood "tuner/amplifier" needing a rebuild. As well as a nice Teac reel to reel recorder.
The neighbors always pop in with something to fix for them.
This winter I've also been learning some leatherworking skills. Been making some of the tools myself.
Slowly learning how to sharpen some of the leather tools and knives to being "bloody well sharp"!
There's an old wooden boat in the storage shed waiting for it's turn in the restoration shop.
I try to keep up on the recent news for managing my retirement portfolio.

Last but not least, I've been occasionally sewing up some custom winterfront kits for a few Kubota models owned by OTT members.

There's really no reason to be bored......for me anyway. Instead of watching tv at night I'll think of something to learn for one of the above or maybe something new again.

This spring I'm considering a Onewheel GT, or maybe a Floatwheel. Then I can be "hell on 1 wheel" on the trails through the woods here..... or the greenways in town. (Don't tell my doctor!!)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Too much you tube, presently watching Sampson Boat Co, about restoring a 1910 wooden sailboat, Fascinating stuff! Cheers!
I've also watched his channel since he started the rebuilding of his "Tally Ho" sailboat. What a project he has, along with the skills to do the work. Wishing he was closer, as that would be a great working vacation to take part in!!

Love those old wooden boats, whether powered by sail, oars or the old diesel putt putts.
Have plans for building a nice Whitehall rowboat......maybe one day??

A return trip to go through the Mystic Seaport Museum has been high on the bucket list as well.

David