Something just crossed my mind

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was wondering, if you are in 2wd and your dive wheel starts to slip, will the DIF lock, lock the rear wheels together to drive both rear wheels?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Yes. You shouldn't engage it with the wheels slipping unless it runs off clutch and not pins. You can use the brakes to stop the spinning wheel.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was wondering, if you are in 2wd and your dive wheel starts to slip, will the DIF lock, lock the rear wheels together to drive both rear wheels?
YES - and you will have BOTH spinning at the exact same rate - have front end pointing straight too - cause that beast is going straight regardless of the front end

As mentioned - step on the peddle easy, and you might have to give it a little forward or backward movement for the pin to slide in..... but NEVER have the rear spinning!

and once out of the hole - make sure the peddle has popped back up!

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hey Skeets,

Best not to engage the Diff lock with any of the wheels turning. I know that it would be nice to able to engage while you have some momentum, but you can apparently mess up the tranny and then you would have to split the tractor to make repairs YIKES!!

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
YES - and you will have BOTH spinning at the exact same rate - have front end pointing straight too - cause that beast is going straight regardless of the front end

As mentioned - step on the peddle easy, and you might have to give it a little forward or backward movement for the pin to slide in..... but NEVER have the rear spinning!

and once out of the hole - make sure the peddle has popped back up!
Good answer. I posted just before your answer came in. I would not have bothered if I had read your post. You gave a very complete answer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
MASH on it Skeets and hope for the best. if it pukes, it's under warranty, let the dealer fix it. tell them you never read your owners manual concerning proper engagement of the rear locking differential, 'cause you don't read operators manuals, you just wing it and hope for a good outcome...

And see if the warrant it........ (y)

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Skeets,

same here.... i let the wheels STOP... then step on the diff lock & start again...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys,, Yeah I know about not trying to engage it with the wheels turning, from what I hear that can get pretty expencive. Yeah flip a bud tried that with a super stock dodge when the tranny went to pieces,, didnt work then either

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yep that's exactly what Dif lock does. It will lock the two rear wheels together essentially, so that you cant have one tire slipping while the other is unable to move. As others have said however, you should never stomp on the dif lock with the tires spinning. Imagine a flywheel with a hole in it spinning, and then as it is spinning you jam a rod through that hole, much like jamming a stick through the spokes of a bicycle tire. There is a lot of energy in that fly wheel spinning, and if you insert a rod at that point you risk causing damage. It is the same idea behind easing into the pto engagement and disengagement.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
MASH on it Skeets and hope for the best. if it pukes, it's under warranty, let the dealer fix it. tell them you never read your owners manual concerning proper engagement of the rear locking differential, 'cause you don't read operators manuals, you just wing it and hope for a good outcome...

And see if the warrant it........ (y)
Now Flip ....... bad boy!!!! YOU know skeets has waited 6 months for his toy .....er..... machine and you gonna have him break it and then see how long it gets fixed???? Skeets will go bonkers waiting ! :ROFLMAO: :p

And yes I know you were just having fun with him! As I am with you!;)

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
And be sure it releases when you finished needing it. Your tractor steering wheel becomes only something to hang on to, it will not steer you tractor with the differential locked.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
And be sure it releases when you finished needing it. Your tractor steering wheel becomes only something to hang on to, it will not steer you tractor with the differential locked.
With me, that all depends on which axle I lock not that I lock either very often but I can lock the rear and still steer thought it's more of a crab steer. Locking the front results in no steering and I can lock both is need be, though I never have.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
In 25 years of tractor operating, I have NEVER had the differential lock line-up/engage while stopped - never. So good luck getting it to engage without the wheels turning. I suppose it is possible that you happen to be sitting exactly where the pins line up, it has never happened for me. I always need to move some distance forward or reverse to get it to engage.

This was the same with my old NH.

I would say do not try to engage it under load. Are you guys that are saying not to move ever actually using it? How do you get the pins to magically line up while sitting still?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Are you guys that are saying not to move ever actually using it? How do you get the pins to magically line up while sitting still?
No, I am saying the odds of hitting the hole are slim and none sitting still .....but a slight movement is needed, like maybe moving forward or reverse a foot as the peddle is lowered.
It will click when it sticks! ;)

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Which one is the dive wheel? I know that on WWII submarines there was a wheel for the dive planes fore and aft and wheeled air valves to flood or pump up the ballast tanks.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Are you guys that are saying not to move ever actually using it? How do you get the pins to magically line up while sitting still?
Yes I use it here and there when needed. I think the issue is you're not understanding the quite simple point we are making. No one is saying to engage diff and not move at all and it just magically pops in. We are saying to simply come off the acceleration pedal, don't have a tire actively spinning while you smash down the diff lock pedal. Just basic common sense stuff. You don't want one tire out there spinning, or you actively laying onto the treddle peddle trying to go forward then stomping down on the diff peddle.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Which one is the dive wheel? I know that on WWII submarines there was a wheel for the dive planes fore and aft and wheeled air valves to flood or pump up the ballast tanks.
OK, you got me!

Just realized what you said after typing a response... They say you do not need all the letters of the words to read the meaning of a sentence! Guess that works in reverse too...

In my mind the drive wheel is the one trying to drive the tractor, the one spinning. Or in the case of 4WD with a front wheel spinning too, there are two drive wheels...

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
No offense to anyone, but I have only used the diff lock with one wheel spinning, on both a MF and on my 2800. I don't think it will engage unless the tranny is moving. These were/are both gear not hydro. I have not damaged anything yet. These are tractors, not toys.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You all are dancing around the Maypole. The diff lock will not likely line up when the wheels are not moving. However sifting the diff lock with the wheels moving at a high rate of speed may result in damage. So....... choose the wheel speed that is just right! Moving but at a slow rpm so the pin can line up and slip into place. Once the pin is in then you can wind it up and spin the ...ell out of the tractor.

If the diff does not disengage you will know the first time you turn the wheel.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You all are dancing around the Maypole. The diff lock will not likely line up when the wheels are not moving. However sifting the diff lock with the wheels moving at a high rate of speed may result in damage. So....... choose the wheel speed that is just right! Moving but at a slow rpm so the pin can line up and slip into place. Once the pin is in then you can wind it up and spin the ...ell out of the tractor.

If the diff does not disengage you will know the first time you turn the wheel.

Said well!