Something just crossed my mind

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Granted I only have about 80 hours on mine, but I've never used the diff lock. I'm not even sure in what situation I would want to use it. But I guess I have some good info now on HOW to do it!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I will stick with - never do it under load.... as I always have.

The whole trick with the dif lock is to know you need it, before you do. Like 4WD, you want it engaged before you need it. After you are already stuck, it is a little late. This is also when all the forces come into play.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Granted I only have about 80 hours on mine, but I've never used the diff lock. I'm not even sure in what situation I would want to use it. But I guess I have some good info now on HOW to do it!
SO.... you are down near a creek bottom - everything is wet, not in water - but just enough water to be slick as snot .........

you are backing up in 2wd drive, right rear spins freely ...... so - you slide her into 4wd drive, well due to the angle of the dangle .... the left front spins along with the right rear! THOSE two wheels have found the easy path! REMEMEBER - on these machines -there is NO SUCH thing as 4 wheel drive!!!!!!!! ONLY 4 wheels that can be driven. SO you have front and rear engaged and still not moving. Press down the diffy lock and allow it to engage and now you will be placing both rears at the same speed. YOU should be able to back up now. The diffy lock is a very powerful tool, but like a gun - only needed when the time demands!

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Thanks for the explanation!

The one time I found myself in that sort of position, I just used the loader to push myself out of the mud until I got traction, but now I know this, I have another tool at my disposal!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

The one time I found myself in that sort of position, I just used the loader to push myself out of the mud until I got traction, but now I know this, I have another tool at my disposal!
Of the 3 tractors I ran the most none of them had a working diff lock so I usually just use the brakes because I forget I have it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

AS much as this is a great idea - most of the time when I am in a pinch .....LOADER is full of something..... and so is the operator!;)

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
With the hydrostatic transmission, this is REAL easy. Simply rock the treadle back and forth a little, and the Dif-Lock will engage, assuming you put your left heel on the pedal. I do it all the time to avoid digging holes by spinning the back tires. You can let go of it while moving, and it won't matter. I work more in 2WD than I do in 4WD, simply because it's easier to steer the tractor, and less stress on the drive-train. As good as the match is, 4WD demands that the front wheels move exactly the right RPM to keep up with the back wheels, Pi*D, and all that. They don't, I assure you. The math is close, but not exact. The gear ratio between front and rear as perfect as it will ever be while your tractor and the tires are new. The gear ratio should remain fairly close, though, and definitely close enough for the intermittent 4x4 requirements on dirt/mud/ice.