Some of my equipment mods.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

I would like to start this post by Wishing Everyone a Safe & Happy Thanksgiving.

I know I had promised to add more pictures soon, however it now looks as though it may be some time before I can add any more.

I don't wish to derail the thread, (Does it count if somone else is working on something that belongs to me?), but I just went through a failed attempt to repair a hole between the 2 upper chambers of my heart, (I was born with this defect, but it has gotten to the point of MUST fix).

The doctor that did the procedure on Monday originally thought the hole was small enough that he could plug it via Cardio Cath, however once he got in he found out the hole was bigger than he thought, (this was his first "real" look at the situation, until he got in he was working from scans, and tests done by others), I must give him credit, he worked for 3+ hours trying to find a way to make this work before finally giving up on it.

At this point I am still "grounded" from doing anything, plus the doctor poked 3 different holes in my groin on Monday, 2 on the right side and one on the left, (needless to say I am rather sore, lol), but due to the amount of time he worked on me and the 3 different viens he went through for the procedure he has restricted what I can do even further for the next 2 weeks, now I am not even allowed to walk very much, stand for long periods of time, or even help the wife cook the turkey tomorrow...:(

I am now waiting for the doctor at the VA to call and tell me if a local surgeon can do the open heart surgery or if I will have to drive 140 miles to another VA hospital to get it done.

Either way it looks like I may not be getting out even to take some more pictures any time soon.

I will continue to read and post anywhere I can hopefully help someone, (at least sitting here and being online isn't against the rules, lol).

Please there is no need to respond to this post, simply keep us in your thoughts and Prayers, we will feel them in our minds and hearts.

Best Regards
Paul

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
Sorry this is hard one to not respond to. Having had heart problems for the last ten year's I can say I have the utmost respect for the heart doctors and there abilities. I wish you well my friend enjoy the day.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Sorry this is hard one to not respond to. Having had heart problems for the last ten year's I can say I have the utmost respect for the heart doctors and there abilities. I wish you well my friend enjoy the day.
Thanks I appreciate it.

The whole thing about this that bugs me is I really haven't felt any adverse effects from my heart defect, and like I said I have had it my whole life and known about it, but since I started going to the VA for my health care and told them I had not had a complete head to toe physical for a long time, that was the first thing they did.

That is when they noticed the right side of my heart was larger than the left, (again something I already knew about), but once they started checking into the problem and did more tests they found out the hole was allowing 1.75L of blood to pass from the left side to the right side versus 1L going the other way, and they told me if it gets to the point where 2L is moving from left to right the right side will finally just give out and stop pumping, plus the longer it goes untreated the greater my chances of having a stroke, (this is the whole reason I am "grounded"), they don't want me doing anything that can raise my heart rate or pressure until I get it fixed.

It would n't really bother me so much if I were actually feeling some sort of effect from it, but overall I feel fine.

I have done some reading about this and there are some things I may be feeling but they have come on so slowly that I have just chalked them up to getting older, I guess I will know after it gets fixed and I see how I feel then.

Isn't it amazing how something like this can turn into such a long drawn out story/ordeal?

Getting old sucks, lol.

Best Regards

Paul

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend that sucks to say the least,,, Wishing you and yours a grand Thank Giving, and a prayer that every thing goes well and for your quick recovery.
Peace
Skeets

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Maybe you as a mechanic see it just as a fixing of an engine. From my side it would be, because I studied medical engineering. Everytime I had to go to surgery it is some technical stuff for me. I hope your tissue at your hole is good enough to get it closed. As long you are in a positive mood, your body response should be good.

Wish you a big Turkey and a friendly family gathering ;)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Funny thing is... you have not strayed from the topic of this thread. It's still a build thread :D

Tell the doc. while he's in there patching the hole to paint your ticker Orange, Stick a Kubota lable on it. You'll be good to go at least another couple million hours after that.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Maybe you as a mechanic see it just as a fixing of an engine. From my side it would be, because I studied medical engineering. Everytime I had to go to surgery it is some technical stuff for me. I hope your tissue at your hole is good enough to get it closed. As long you are in a positive mood, your body response should be good.

Wish you a big Turkey and a friendly family gathering ;)
Well I don't know about the tissue, but I did find out the hole is too big to fix with the sandwich thing they tried on Monday.

Now the only option left is to do open heart surgery, and my understanding is they will remove some tissue from an area inside around the heart and graft it across the hole.

I am doing my best to maintain a positive attitude about it, but it is getting harder and harder.

Thanks so much for the Holiday Wishes.

Funny thing is... you have not strayed from the topic of this thread. It's still a build thread :D

Tell the doc. while he's in there patching the hole to paint your ticker Orange, Stick a Kubota lable on it. You'll be good to go at least another couple million hours after that.
LOL, should he put the Kubota Label on my heart or forehead? :D

I wonder if he can bump up the Horse Power while he is at it? :cool:

Maybe do an oil change and lube, really get everything running smooth and no more creeks and rattles?

I hope Everyone had a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Best Regards

Paul

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
As you said, getting old sucks. My dad used to say, "Never get old, son..."
I just put a 30' I-beam in the barn overhead, cause I can no longer lift what I used to.
Look at it positive - a tissue graft is just like living bondo. A quick job, and you are good for another 20.
Hopefully you'll spend Christmas on your Bota.:)

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
As you said, getting old sucks. My dad used to say, "Never get old, son..."
I just put a 30' I-beam in the barn overhead, cause I can no longer lift what I used to.
Look at it positive - a tissue graft is just like living bondo. A quick job, and you are good for another 20.
Hopefully you'll spend Christmas on your Bota.:)
Yea well I can't do alot of things I used to do, lol.

I have always looked young for my age, (still do actually), I just turned 56 and look more like mid to late 40s worse case, my brother is 3 years younger than I am and looks 20 years older, shoot at 35 I still couldn't get in a bar without getting carded.

I doubt spending Christmas on the Bota, if the VA doctor gets his head out of his backside and gets me scheduled for the surgery in the next week or two, (which I seriously doubt), I will not be recovered enough by Christmas, and if it takes as long to get the surgery as it does everything else with the VA I will still be grounded and waiting come Christmas, uggggggggs.

The VA is great for my health care overall, with our income as low as it is right now I have zero deductables for everything including meds, and get travel pay, but OMG it takes forever to get anything done, so I guess I have to take the bad with the good.

Yea I am not so concerned with how they will fix the hole as much as having to get cut from my neck to my bellybutton.

I have always recovered pretty quick, in 1983 I had a motorcycle accident, when I came out of the 3 day coma I was paralized from the waist down, and they told me I would never walk again, (I broke my back and the sternum in my chest, and punctured a lung), I told them I would walk out of the hospital, and I did 3 weeks later, actually went back to work 3 months to the day of the accident, I still hurt pretty good but going back to work helped me get through it faster I think.

My biggest overall issue is being forced to sit around and not being allowed to do anything, I went through the same thing last winter waiting to get a naval hernia repaired, and packed on 40 pounds, I finally got the surgery and managed to get back out mid spring and worked most of it off over the summer, now it is piling back on again, I am not a big person and I don't carry the extra weight well at all.

I wish I could take my brain and everything I have learned in life and attach it to a whole new body.

Now that would be the ultimate Equipment Mod, lol.

Best Regards

Paul

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I wonder if he can bump up the Horse Power while he is at it? :cool:
Paul
Actually you will get pimped up with extra power. The blood flow will be increased so your body get more oxygen and fuel. :rolleyes:

Looks like you become younger after your surgery. :cool:

Good luck & ask for a nice stitching

carl

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Wow, Paul. I'm a person who believes in prayer and does it, so I will be remembering you. Life is precious.
It's interesting how you get to know folks on a forum, who you will probably never meet. It is as apparent as possible that you are a hard worker, a glass half full type of person, and that you have a strong will and constitution. That is very important when facing surgery- it can and will make a difference, as you have already shared. While I would never wish anyone to go through these difficulties, I do wish you the best, and keep on looking for the positive side.
My brother has heart issues, and is constantly facing the likely need for a replacement. He always knows it's there, but he keeps pushing on. It's a delicate balance, but he can't stop living so that he can keep living, if that makes any sense. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Keep us updated.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
It's interesting how you get to know folks on a forum, who you will probably never meet...
That is not really true. :) Last year I made a round trip through the middel west and met some guy's. And I am from Germany! :cool:

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
You are in our thoughts and prayers , going in to a surgery is a very nervious time but if you keep the faith all will work out we will be praying for you....Dan in Ca

P.S If its in the guidlines can you take a few pics of your D-4 not only am I a Kubota fan I have a fetish for Cats as well , theres a D-2 and a D -6 at our ranch both 5u SERIES

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Actually you will get pimped up with extra power. The blood flow will be increased so your body get more oxygen and fuel. :rolleyes:

Looks like you become younger after your surgery. :cool:

Good luck & ask for a nice stitching

carl
Hey Carl,

Yes that is exactly what I a hoping for.

I am not too sure about getting younger, but hoping to maybe feel a bit younger.

I am not sure a heart doctor at the VA is going to be concerned with being tidy in his closing, I am NOT looking forward to having the scar, I saw first hand what my Dad looked like after by-pass surgery.

Wow, Paul. I'm a person who believes in prayer and does it, so I will be remembering you. Life is precious.
It's interesting how you get to know folks on a forum, who you will probably never meet. It is as apparent as possible that you are a hard worker, a glass half full type of person, and that you have a strong will and constitution. That is very important when facing surgery- it can and will make a difference, as you have already shared. While I would never wish anyone to go through these difficulties, I do wish you the best, and keep on looking for the positive side.
My brother has heart issues, and is constantly facing the likely need for a replacement. He always knows it's there, but he keeps pushing on. It's a delicate balance, but he can't stop living so that he can keep living, if that makes any sense. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Keep us updated.
Hey Hodge,

I am not the type to give up or give in for sure. As for getting to know people via the net, this is very true, but sometimes we get a chance to actually meet the folks behind the screen, a couple of years ago we got together with a bunch of people from ACMOC, (another forum I was hanging out on), for a long holiday weekend, and it was great actually meeting everyone.

I know how your brother feels about everything, like I said I was born with my condition, and have known about it from an early age, and never really thought about it when it came to doing the things I wanted to do, but now it is apparent that it has gotten worse and all the doctors are telling me I can't do anything that will raise my heart rate or increase my blood pressure, I am right on the edge of having a stroke or having the right side of my heart just give out and it is hard enough thinking about having to have it repaired, so I would rather take the time and hope they get around to fixng it soon versus pushing ahead and possibly make thigs worse than they are now or end up being unfixable.

You are in our thoughts and prayers , going in to a surgery is a very nervious time but if you keep the faith all will work out we will be praying for you....Dan in Ca

P.S If its in the guidlines can you take a few pics of your D-4 not only am I a Kubota fan I have a fetish for Cats as well , theres a D-2 and a D -6 at our ranch both 5u SERIES
Hey Dan,

I have already posted some pics of my lil kitty, they are on the first page of posts, I don't think we took any pics of it before I finished tearing it apart and brought it back to life with an engine transplant.

Unfortunately there was no way I could restore it to it's original condition.

Right now it is sitting in the weeds down by the barn waiting for yet another engine and tranny upgrade.

Again, I really Appreciate Everyone's Thoughts & Prayers!

One thing I know for sure, I have God on my side, so I know between He & I..... We WILL Prevail!

We have come out on top many times before, He has yet to let me down!

Besides, if it is my time, it is my time, and it won't matter if it is on the operating table or sitting in the recliner, when he wants to take me, I will gladly go to Him.

Best Regards

Paul

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My biggest overall issue is being forced to sit around and not being allowed to do anything, I went through the same thing last winter waiting to get a naval hernia repaired, and packed on 40 pounds, I finally got the surgery and managed to get back out mid spring and worked most of it off over the summer, now it is piling back on again, I am not a big person and I don't carry the extra weight well at all.....
eating for good healing is specific just like eating certain foods for different sports can be specific

http://www.livestrong.com/article/318458-the-best-foods-to-eat-to-heal-from-surgery/

course search for many articles on the same subject to get a good synopsis. Biggest weight gainers when your activity level drops is beer and soda.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Biggest weight gainers when your activity level drops is beer and soda.
Hey Coachgeo,

I gave up drinking a longggggg time ago, lol, and even back in the day my drink of choice was never beer but Jack & Coke.

My birth father was an alcoholic, and I knew I was prone to ending up the same way so I said no more.

I am however addicted to Mountain Dew, been drinking this stuff since I was old enough to spend my allowance for the little green bottle with the Hillbilly on it.

My wife and I have attended 6 different cooking, weight management, and exercise programs the VA has, and we have changed our eating habits drastically, mostly due to her finding out she is a diabetic, ( between medication and diet we now have her blood sugar under control, no injections).

Some of the good that has come from all the testing, prodding, poking, and probing they have done to me over my heart issue is..

I am not diabetic, no high blood pressure, no high cholesterol, and NO as in ZERO clogged arteries, they are 100% clean and clear, and all my liver and kidney functions are normal...:cool:

I know I should cut down on the Dew since I am not able to be as active as normal, but hey I'm not dead yet, lol.

It wouldn't even be so bad if they would allow me to walk on the treadmill, or ride the exercise bike, but basically they have said just sit on my backside.

Does anyone have an idea how boring life is when you are used to going 90 to nothing all the time, and all of a sudden all you are allowed to do is be a couch potato?

I have never watched this much TV in my life.

Ok enough babbling for now, lol.

Hope everyone has a Great rest of the Holiday Weekend!

Everyone should run their Botas a bit more to pick up my slack, :D

Best Regards

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Isn't it amazing how entertaining it can be when someone starts sharing their life with the rest of the world?

It isn't even that I have done anything noteworthy at that, just a regular normal life.

I guess that really is the power of the internet to bridge the gap and close all the miles that seperate us, and allows us to come together as a family of people with a common interest such as lil Orange Tractors!

Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the world could find such common ground, just be friends and stop all the fighting?

I wonder if I could sell some books, lol.

Joy To The World!

Paul

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the world could find such common ground, just be friends and stop all the fighting?
The problem is with the guy's who like green tractors... :D

But as we know the world is a village. I miss the beaming, so we can join together at a camp fire and tell orange storys!

Will you get a photo of your heart? I did some pics last time I got some lipoma cutted out. It was in China. I went to a hospital ask to see a surgeon. He just said something chinese, I paid $50, followed him and lay down on a table. He started the job and sometimes people passing by. It was some kind of floor. He asked to remove another lipoma, but it would cost $30 extra. I paid at the spot and he continued the work. While he worked I did some pics... :rolleyes:

The stiching was also good.

Wish you a long life!

Looks your food in Hospital like this: :eek:

jbeenemd

Equipment
Kubota L185DT
Sep 30, 2012
Sacville, MO
Hope your surgery goes well and recovery is quick. I too am looking at having surgery soon. Mine is not as serious as yours, however my problem does slow me down a little. I am kinda like my old L185DT, lots of things that need repair but it is still running and gets the job done!!!
Jackie

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hi Folks,

Well I knew Paul had been hanging out on a few forums, but gosh, I had no idea how active he was back in the day!

My name is Samantha, I'm his twin and I took almost all the pics he posted here, wow time has flew by, but sadly I must report he is no longer with us, so I will try and pick up his mantle, and perhaps partly fill his shoes.

I stumbled onto all this today while researching one of his dreams to update the Kubota, I haven't taken allot of pics, but I am close to having the power steering he always wanted finished, and also trying to upgrade the charging system, and a few other things.

Yes, I may be a girl, but I spent my entire life with Paul, and I learned, he was brilliant, and so much skill and talent, and yeah, his shoes are going to be impossible to fill, but I will do my best, :)

I know we did take some pics he never uploaded so I will work on those in my spare time, please be patient.

My God, this thread alone dates all the way back to 2012, I wonder how many of you that knew him here are still around?

Everyone Have An Absolutely Wonder Day!!!

Samantha