Soil Pulverizer

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
I have some dirt work to do around my place this spring. Last year when I did phase 1 I considered picking up a pulverizer to make grading and ready for seeding easier, but made due with the BB. This year I'm hoping it will be less of a rough draft and again am thinking of picking one up. I could rent one, or buy one used. Are these something you guys find helpful in other areas, driveway maintenance, other yard leveling projects ects? Currently we have 5 acres that was previously mostly pasture land and a 1/4= mile gravel driveway and parking area.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think for the cost of one of those - I would rent one!

What cost you looking at <1.5K?

But if you KNOW you are going to use it in several areas - I would buy one then.

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
If I bought used, It would be sub $1k for sure. I've found a few on marketplace that have good scarfers and rollers in the $750-900 range. Looks like Sunbelt in my area should be able to rent me one for like $150ish for week though... Having to get the work done when I can with the wife being able to watch the kid and weather cooperating is my only hangup with renting. But I guess if I do rent, it kind of forces my hand to get the project done. I'm not sure I WILL use it in other areas is my big hangup. Was curious if others have found uses for theirs besides the finish grading & seeding projects?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a Gill, 6'foot, double roller. I've owned it 10 years and used it probably 10 hours. I've let others use it but it still doesn't get much use. I'd highly suggest renting.

Your predicament of wife available to babysit, weather, and your time can all be scheduled so that excuse to purchase is not valid!!!! ;) ;)

Rent one, but ask cost to purchase if it works for you. You might get a good price and your rental fee taken off of purchase price to make it more tolerable.

Similar to this.

1708444749559.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you can find a used one to buy, buy it and use it until you no longer have a use for it. Then sell it to recoup your investment, and even if you lose a few bucks, it will be like renting it without having a return date.

Reactions: 3 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
It's a one trick pony, I bought one used for $250. Used it one time to prep for a seed bed, worked great. Ever since it's been on top of my disks as a paper weight (does a great job at it!!!)

How about a Ratchet Rake? (also rent one of those...)

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I got a ratchet rake on the last Kubota I bought - tell you what, that is one neat tool!!!

I use it to pull gravel back into the ruts - now on HARD packed surfaces, not too good!

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
I have a Gill, 6'foot, double roller. I've owned it 10 years and used it probably 10 hours. I've let others use it but it still doesn't get much use. I'd highly suggest renting.
Kind of what I've been thinking as I've written it out. Always like the idea of having the implement, but honestly will I have another use for it in the next decade...

Your predicament of wife available to babysit, weather, and your time can all be scheduled so that excuse to purchase is not valid!!!! ;) ;)
Who are you...my wife, let me live my life hahah 🤣😂

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I could, I suppose, just set the depth low?
The only problem with the tiller idea is your mention of " driveway maintenance" - the tiller and gravel will not be fun for the tiller!

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
The only problem with the tiller idea is your mention of " driveway maintenance" - the tiller and gravel will not be fun for the tiller!
Yeahhh, I'll stick to the box blade for that chore. Unless I can score a good deal on land leveler, from what I've seen those seem to be the ticket for gravel driveway maintenance.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, tiller set low,say 2", for a seed bed...the one I bought had been used that way for 2 seasons.
for driveway and gravel yard maintenance, drag a heavy bar with tractor chains behind it.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
If you can find a used one to buy, buy it and use it until you no longer have a use for it. Then sell it to recoup your investment, and even if you lose a few bucks, it will be like renting it without having a return date.
This is exactly what I'd do.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I've seeded thousands of acres over my life and rarely made a trip just to pulverize soil. IMO pulling that pictured implement over plowed ground would compact more with tractor wheels than the implement would help. If I plan seeding in rows I put ground in beds then allow rain-dry cycle to breakup clods before planting. If seed are to be drilled in I turn ground under or chisel and disk then let weather break clods up before planting. If soil clumps don't fall apart after a wet-dry cycle the soil is lacking organic content which cover crops can remedy or of course compost can be imported for small plots. The last thing I want is tearing gravel drive up like a sow's nest after it has compacted.

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Thanks everyone for the thoughts, insight, and first hand experiences! I think i'm going to still keep an eye out for a used one for a steal, but more than likely shift focus to spending that money on a land leveler for driveway maintenance. Then use a combination of that, my BB and tiller to fix up the yard area in question. If it comes down to it I can always rent one or possibly the co-op in town has a hook up for one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've never understood why anyone would till the soil then pack it back down again, using either a pulverizer or a packer ? You spend a lot of time and money to make the soil 'fluffy' to get seeds to germinate, root and grow then just before seeding you compress and pack it all back down ?
Then again, never understood why nearly 'everyone' walks behind their garden rototillers either ......
For decades I'd do a fall till on the 1/2 acre veggie patch, hand sow a bushel of 'winter rye',then run straight set discs once.Rye comes up looks like I'd 'drilled' the rye....

biketopia

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Just for clarification, not that it likely makes a difference, but this area I'll be working is our front yard, it will be getting grass seed and mowed, not putting in a garden or crops.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yeahhh, I'll stick to the box blade for that chore. Unless I can score a good deal on land leveler, from what I've seen those seem to be the ticket for gravel driveway maintenance.
I have found some great deals on the land plane on Marketplace, the only problem is that they were far away from me. Possibly we could have another forum for Marketplace finds that are good or great deals but not geographically desirable for the person who found it, so others could have a chance to buy it because it is closer to them. How is this for a run-on sentence?