So far so good

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I had to put a new cover on my shelter logic after 7 or 8 years this summer and while I was at it I decided to board in the back end with tongue and groove boards because the wind coming down the lake here is brutal at times and shreds the back cover in short order. So far we've had some real good blows and it's holding up real good but the winter noreaster's will soon be upon us so we'll see.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
does that hold up well with a good snow load? Looks great!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
does that hold up well with a good snow load? Looks great!
Thanks Hokie, yes over the last years it has had some real heavy loads on it before I got a chance to clean it off which is some of the reason I had to put a new cover on. This year I picked up a snow rake so I can get at it sooner.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Do I see a widow & vents in that wall?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking at that "rack" the chain is hanging on..... is that a land plane ? And next dumb question - this has double doors on the front?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Do I see a widow & vents in that wall?
What looks like a window is actually a Shelter logic vent. As it turned out, that alone with one in the front door wasn't enough so I installed a couple floor register vents to help with air flow after boarding it in.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Looking at that "rack" the chain is hanging on..... is that a land plane ? And next dumb question - this has double doors on the front?
Good eye, yep it's a land plane and a grapple. The door in front is just a roll up door, a bit of a pain in the butt however it does the trick. The biggest thing with these shelters is keeping them in place. I bought rebar that I welded good size nuts to so after I pounded them into the ground I had something to attach ratchet straps to and snugged them down at every second rib...hasn't moved in the whole time it's been there.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Looks good, yep that wind is a PIA epically when its realllllllly cold ;)

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
You're right about that wind! My neighbor has been complaining to me about how much wind we have been getting. He say's he has never seen so much wind as this year.

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What looks like a window is actually a Shelter logic vent. As it turned out, that alone with one in the front door wasn't enough so I installed a couple floor register vents to help with air flow after boarding it in.
Got it!

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
You're right about that wind! My neighbor has been complaining to me about how much wind we have been getting. He say's he has never seen so much wind as this year.

A lot of hot air no doubt, with it being a election year !!!!! LOL

• Haha

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lots of wind on the Net too.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well I had to put a new cover on my shelter logic after 7 or 8 years this summer and while I was at it I decided to board in the back end with tongue and groove boards because the wind coming down the lake here is brutal at times and shreds the back cover in short order. So far we've had some real good blows and it's holding up real good but the winter noreaster's will soon be upon us so we'll see.
Not bad for a cheap hoop structure. My main haybarn and implement storage is a Farm-Tek Clearspan 90 foot long x 45 wide x 17 foot high truss arch hoop building with a 14 foot x 10 foot roll up door at one end and a man door at the other and it's a fabric covered barn and it's 20 years old this year and the cover is as good as it was when I put it up. Snow slides right off and no rain nor hail effects it at all. My wife and I put it up and took 10 guys and a case of beer to get the one piece fabric cover installed, but it's been an excellent building so far. I have it anchored to the ground, every 8 feet with screw in anchors set in concrete and it stays above freezing inside no matter how cold it is outside. It has 2 resident cats that keep the mice under control. They never leave. Have their cushy beds in the throat of the square bailer so the can watch everything and be comfy too... 20 years ago it was 6 grand delivered. Best investment I ever made for storage and it's usually pretty full. Right now, there is all my hay tools and sprayers plus a full skid of 46 urea plus the lawnmowers and tillers plus 7 ton of no germ seed corn in supersacks (to roast in my bio mass stove) inside and my pickup truck is sleeping inside as well. Tractors stay in the heated shop, they need to be warm and free from cat prints on the hoods...lol

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Farm-Tek Clearspan 90 foot long x 45 wide x 17 foot high truss arch hoop building with a 14 foot x 10 foot roll up door at one end and a man door at the other and it's a fabric covered barn
Wow. Didn't know they made 'em that big.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Not bad for a cheap hoop structure. My main haybarn and implement storage is a Farm-Tek Clearspan 90 foot long x 45 wide x 17 foot high truss arch hoop building with a 14 foot x 10 foot roll up door at one end and a man door at the other and it's a fabric covered barn and it's 20 years old this year and the cover is as good as it was when I put it up. Snow slides right off and no rain nor hail effects it at all. My wife and I put it up and took 10 guys and a case of beer to get the one piece fabric cover installed, but it's been an excellent building so far. I have it anchored to the ground, every 8 feet with screw in anchors set in concrete and it stays above freezing inside no matter how cold it is outside. It has 2 resident cats that keep the mice under control. They never leave. Have their cushy beds in the throat of the square bailer so the can watch everything and be comfy too... 20 years ago it was 6 grand delivered. Best investment I ever made for storage and it's usually pretty full. Right now, there is all my hay tools and sprayers plus a full skid of 46 urea plus the lawnmowers and tillers plus 7 ton of no germ seed corn in supersacks (to roast in my bio mass stove) inside and my pickup truck is sleeping inside as well. Tractors stay in the heated shop, they need to be warm and free from cat prints on the hoods...lol
If nothing else Flip you are very predictable.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wow. Didn't know they made 'em that big.
Mine is small compared to some. You can get any size you want. Some of them house sports arena's. I saw one with an indoor shooting range inside. www.farmtek.com

Click on the link and scroll down to 'Clearspan' and click on that. They are on there, you'll be amazed. Got mine after a poster on another site recommended them. he has a couple for storage bigger than mine is in Indiana.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If nothing else Flip you are very predictable.
Not following your comment. In my situation, I require a lot of protected storage for hay as well as equipment. Have a very sizeable investment in it and it needs to be out of the elements.... and so do the resident cats.... (y)

You initiated the thread, I just stated what I have and why I have it. Nothing more, nothing less.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Is the germ removed to help the corn keep longer?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The 'germ' is the term used to denote germination rate. If it's below 95% for any strain, it's deemed not saleable....and it all has to be tested every 3 months. Corn will 'keep' indefinitely so long as it's kept dry (below 15% RM and stored in a dark place like a grain tank or in opaque sacks.

Once the RM gets above 15% and it's exposed to light or both, it starts to mold. Moldy corn isn't nice. Why grain elevators have to regularly glean their silo's. The corn against the silo walls gets moldy from the walls sweating. Stuff is like stinky concrete and has to be chipped off with air hammers. dangerous job hanging in a Bosuns chair untold feet above the ground using an air hammer with a light bulb for light. Lots of accidents and deaths from doing that.