Snowblower-Electric chute rotator

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I am happy to be posting this mod.
I've been meaning to do it for awhile but finally built up the gumption to do so.

Motor was $6.99 at Princess Auto.
Switch was $15 at Piston Ring.
Add and in-line fuse for $3.

It took some time to figure out how to mount the motor.
I am a rookie with welding and metal fab.
Also, I am not good at visualizing things which slowed me down considerably.

The motor is mounted slightly off-center, I fill figure that out tonight.
I plan on mounting a battery right on the blower, charge after use.
I will add those pics when the time comes.

Bring on the snow!

Attachments

Last edited:

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I found myself in the garage again tonight.

I drilled bigger holes at the motor and added some washers to act as spacers. The motor is sitting much straighter now.

I mounted the battery tray on the blower.
I had planned on running off the tractor battery but decided against it.
This means I will need to keep the battery charged between use.

Cutting and welding was a breeze although I won't be posting close up pictures of the welds.
My "stack of dimes" looks more like loose change.

The biggest challenge was drilling 2 holes thru some steel.
I broke 5 bits in the struggle.
Frustrating!

Tomorrow I hope to finish the battery tray, and run all the wiring.
More pics to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Very cool. I bet you feel pretty good about your mod and so you should. It's a good bit of fun seeing things work out well isn't it ?
Oh man I just love Princess Auto. If that place was around here when I got married that's where we would had went for our honeymoon :D

Nice job!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Princess Auto, hmmmm must be a canuck thing,,lol,, Ya done good MJ,,, don;t ya love it when a plan comes together,,,:D

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
And done!

I hummed and hawwed for about 25 minutes when deciding where to put the switch.
I didn't want to have a rats nest of wires just waiting to get snarled up on something.

Also, I didn't want to add the switch box to the rear fender as the spinning tires/snow would likely rip out the wires exposed at the bottom of the fender.

The solution......put the switch right on the window motor!
I already had hardware in place making it very easy to do and I didn't need to run more than 18 inches of wire.

I did have to position the blower 1 spot closer to the rear of the tractor. This allows me to reach the switch much easier.

Rotating from 1 extreme to the other takes about 7 seconds.

Next up is an actuator for the snow deflector. Unfortunately an actuator is not cheap.

This may all be in vain this year as I have not had to snow blow yet this Winter.

Oh well, its build stuff or lay on the couch.

Attachments

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Next up is an actuator for the snow deflector. Unfortunately an actuator is not cheap.

This may all be in vain this year as I have not had to snow blow yet this Winter.

Oh well, its build stuff or lay on the couch.
Check out this site that Snowgoer sent me https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp do a search for actuator and you find inexpencive ones as to the quality and or customer service I have not delt with then as of yet.

TGReaper

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 28, 2010
Canada
Looks good,I was a bit less talented and spent a bit more but it sure beats the crank.Got to love Princess Auto.

TGR

Wildfire

Equipment
And done!

I don't think so :rolleyes: I've done a few like this. I've used the power window motor for the chute rotation and a linear actuator for the chute deflector and put the switch in the dash but you have a Hugh weekness in your design. You need to protect it from getting wet with snow.
I've done it by making a aluminum cover for it. You need to weatherproof it. Just say'en :p

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
You are correct, I jumped the gun on the "mission accomplished" statement.
I do have a plan devised to make it water proof.
I will post when I get around to it.

Wildfire

Equipment
You are correct, I jumped the gun on the "mission accomplished" statement.
I do have a plan devised to make it water proof.
I will post when I get around to it.
Don't know if this will help you out. I'm not saying it the right way to do it. It's just MY way. :D

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I saw this thread last winter and decided to make something similar to the setup TGReaper posted.
I have a 54" Meteor 3 pt blower on my B7500HST. I welded on a bracket to bolt the winch on to the frame and used a 2000# winch kit from Harborfreight.
Here's a couple pics of the result.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
This is a bunch of GREAT ideas for a general pain in the butt problem! I'd never have thunk of a window motor...
And just by the way, I had a drill motor like that once!

("The biggest challenge was drilling 2 holes thru some steel.
I broke 5 bits in the struggle.
Frustrating!")

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I was going to do something along these lines myself on my Jinma blower. I like the winch setup.
Thanks to those who shared their ideas and to he who brought this thread back up.:)

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Meanjean,

Have you considered mounting a weatherproof 12VDC outlet, (cigarette lighter) under the back of the seat, wire it to the tractor battery, and putting a male end on a couple of wires to the blower battery so you can keep the it charged from the tractor?

It would be a quick connect and the outlet would be usable for other things too, and the wires should be out of harms way.

Another idea would be to install a heavier duty connector on the tractor, again like under the back side of the seat, and then wire everything on the blower to the other half of the connector.

It would be a real bear to forget to charge the blower battery and then have it go dead in the middle of blowing snow, lol.

Best Regards

Paul

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I added a new part to my chute rotator today. The rotate switch that came with my winch was nearly impossible to operate with gloves on. I found these joysticks on All Electronics website for $15 each. They are heavy duty four way joysticks with a 5 amp contact rating. Now the rotate operation is really easy!! ;)

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I added a new part to my chute rotator today. The rotate switch that came with my winch was nearly impossible to operate with gloves on. I found these joysticks on All Electronics website for $15 each. They are heavy duty four way joysticks with a 5 amp contact rating. Now the rotate operation is really easy!! ;)
First of I have to admit I suck at wiring. For the life of me I can't figure out how to wire this switch to the window motor. I sure would appreciate any advice.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I am also poor at wiring.
Here's the cheat sheet I used for wiring:
Thanks for the reply. I understand how to wire it with a normal switch however I just can't understand how to wire it to the joystick.