Snowblower chute idiot bars…

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Before attempting any work on the snowblower, make sure that the PTO is disengaged first. If there is a clog, just keep in mind that you never put your hands into the augers even if the machine is off and the PTO has been disengaged. There could be some stored-up energy on the augers that will cause them to move once you clear the clog with a broomstick or wherever your chosen tool will be. If you are changing a broken shear pin, also make sure that there is no snow build-up in the augers. Always clear the augers with a small plastic shovel first. As a retired EMT, I have seen way too many snowblower incidents from people slipping in front of a parked but running snowblower.
That is some great advice about stored-up energy. I'm not sure I would have thought of that. Now all I need is a snow blower.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My older Lorenz snowblower had a wide open chute on the day it was picked up. I can't ever remember having a clogged chute.....thankfully!!

@mcmxi your chute is ready for some "snow cone flavoring" and a spoon!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
The Lucknow blowers with the open faced round chutes never seem to clog, even with the wet sticky stuff. A dream to operate compared to my old AgroTrend with the rectangular chute which was plug city.
Yes! A round chute would have better snow moving capabilities! I wonder if welding plates in the corners of a rectangular to make it more “round” would be a worthwhile project? I do not weld however…looks like more PAM for mine…

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I wonder if welding plates in the corners of a rectangular to make it more “round” would be a worthwhile project?
If you look at the chute on my blower it doesn't have 90 degree inside corners but it still plugged up.

Maybe blowing the exhaust on the chute would prevent plugging! If the chute is warm there's less chance of snow sticking to the steel. :LOL:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
If you look at the chute on my blower it doesn't have 90 degree inside corners but it still plugged up.

Maybe blowing the exhaust on the chute would prevent plugging! If the chute is warm there's less chance of snow sticking to the steel. :LOL:
No…won’t be re-routing the exhaust to the chute! 🤣 There’s supposed to be another “frozen mix” on Friday…we’ll see if my clogging problem is at least partially solved. Note to self: GET PAM!

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have four Kubota blowers and NONE of them have the idiot bars. First blower had them and clogged when the snow was wet. None of my next three blowers were even mounted to the tractor before the idiot bars were removed!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes! A round chute would have better snow moving capabilities! I wonder if welding plates in the corners of a rectangular to make it more “round” would be a worthwhile project? I do not weld however…looks like more PAM for mine…
I took some photos this morning to show the geometry inside the chute. Even with an interior angle of 135 degrees between surfaces, or thereabouts, the chute will still plug when the guard is on, and the snow is wet and heavy.

SB1574_08.jpg

SB1574_09.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its called LAWYERS,, stupid people sue over anything and there are good LAWYERS or so I have been told,, and then there are those that make a living out of stupid people suing someone. So a company will do what ever they can to protect them selves from STUPID people

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
The Lucknow blowers with the open faced round chutes never seem to clog, even with the wet sticky stuff. A dream to operate compared to my old AgroTrend with the rectangular chute which was plug city.
Good old lucknows. Great blowers and built right around the corner from me lol. I’ve got an old ih80 that’s 7 feet single auger with a square shoot. Never any probs clogging. No pam needed. Even after a broken sheer bolt if has no probs clearing the shoot. If I were clogging like crazy I’d think I’m going to fast to let the unit keep up or that I’m underpowered for the job. If that grill looking thing is the problem no clue why you wouldn’t take it off. If your dumb enough to put your hand in then you should probably not be operating any pto attachments. Just common sense to me I guess and not all.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I just removed them from my new to me BX2822 and installed them into the BX2816 that I just put up on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Don't want to have the liability of someone sticking their hands in there. What they do with it once they buy it, is their choice.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm waiting for some IDIOT to decide snowblowers MUST HAVE covers on the front of the auger for 'safety reasons'....:D

One of my pet peeves are lawn mowers that have had their 'chute deflectors' removed though. THAT can result in innocent people(kids usually ) getting hit with high velocity stones....
If YOU decide to clear a snowblower with engine running, you deserve to be called 'lefty'....

Reactions: 1 users

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
After 15 years with my B2782 blower with only a few chute clogs,I'm changing my mind.
Had 30" of cement last week.
Had a clog after awhile,cleared it and clogged again right away.
Parked in the shop and waited for it to freeze up overnight.
Chute guard has to go!
Besides I have no safety switches bypassed and without weight on the seat,I can't even put my hand in there!
Good Luck!

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Chute guard was turfed as soon as I cleared my first blockage. However, I did replace it with and easily removable solid piece of heavy gauge tin, fastened with wingnuts for convenience. An enclosed chute doesn't allow airflow to spill out of the column, and gives you better blowing distance.
snwblwrchute1.jpg

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Chute guard was turfed as soon as I cleared my first blockage. However, I did replace it with and easily removable solid piece of heavy gauge tin, fastened with wingnuts for convenience. An enclosed chute doesn't allow airflow to spill out of the column, and gives you better blowing distance. View attachment 91333
The “wingnut” man! Whatever works for you!

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Those bars lasted about 1 hour of use on mine before I removed those.

I did have to work through a safety pledge before I did however.....

"Self, are you dumb enough to ask someone to put something in that chute while you sit on the tractor and keep the PTO going?"........I answered 'No' and promptly removed them once I was certified.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
oh, oh.. maybe we shouldn't have posted we HAVE removed them idiot bars.....
some' safety first' guv guy will read this and them mandate 'safety chute safety switches and computer' to every snowblower starting next year!!!! It'll be so dang complicated that none of use will be able to figure out HOW to bypass the 'safety feature'.
best keep our machine in good working order so we don't have to buy a 2023 machine !!!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Chute guard was turfed as soon as I cleared my first blockage. However, I did replace it with and easily removable solid piece of heavy gauge tin, fastened with wingnuts for convenience. An enclosed chute doesn't allow airflow to spill out of the column, and gives you better blowing distance. View attachment 91333
I am inclined to think that should it clog, you are going to have a difficult time removing that piece of tin in order to clear the clog. I have had my chute clog even though the bars were not on the chute, and it was very moist heavy snow, almost like a slushy. I attribute it to taking too much snow into the front of the snowblower and overwhelming the mechanics of the machine. Now if it is heavy wet snow, I use the highest speed that the augers will handle, and only take half bites of the snow. Takes a little longer to clear the driveway, but not as much time as it does to clear a clogged blower. Another thing that causes a clogged chute is breaking a shear pin and not realizing that it has broken.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've been through 9 or 10 seasons with them in. Has never plugged.

Honestly, I always have intended to take them out, and forget. Bet they're gone first time it plugs....:rolleyes:

I think many folks do pull them out.
I'm quoting my own post because I jinxed myself...... ;)

Blower plugged pretty good for the first time in 10 seasons. I've blown A LOT of snow in that time.

Two-day storm with about 9" of snow, with intermittent rain.... I also do road shoulders in front of mailboxes, etc. Bit it off in 3 trips when home from work, so not all 9” at once….

Can’t blame the blower. I was doing part of the lawn at the time, peeling right down to the grass, and pulling some real wet stuff with it.

The Idiot Bars are GONE!!

Said I should have done that before, but always forgot. Not an issue tonight…😳

Given conditions, not sure the bars caused the plug, but sure didn’t help….😉

7BB78A30-B86D-440D-B8E4-2777A824E963.jpeg

2864D9DE-5D3B-433A-AA82-47A3D85DF065.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users