Smoke coming from the clutch of a new tiller

Ferfey

Equipment
Kubota 38 HP with Loader, box blade, tiller, mower and post hole digger
Apr 14, 2013
Valley Center, KS
New tractor owner here. I was working with my 38 HP kubota and a land pride reverse cutting tiller on our horse arena (soft sandy surface). I hade the implement in "float" and level (I suppose if you attach it on a level surface then its "level"). I made a few passes and it seemed to do a fine job of tilling. After 30 yards or so the clutch started smoking and it was no longer tilling. Naturally, I shut the PTO off and examined. Other than the metal being hissing hot it looked normal. I had the throttle dead on the PTO yellow line while running it.
Anyone experienced this?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like the gear box on the tiller is dry. For some reason when they ship and sell tillers they don't bother to put gear oil in them. If you bought it new from a dealer they should have done it for you. But its always best to double check the fluids anyways. And chances are running your tiller without oil in the gear box chances are everything is trashed.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Is it the slip clutch on the PTO shaft that was smoking? First, put the pto in neutral, shut off engine then check to make sure the tiller rotates freely by hand and isn't binding. If so it sounds like it need to be set up. There should be about 8 bolts with springs on them. Let clutch cool off then loosen the nuts until the springs just touch the flange then tighten them all 1.5 turns. Try tilling a short distance and then check the clutch for heat. If its still slipping, it'll get hot quick. Tighten each of the nuts half a turn and try tilling again. Repeat until clutch does not heat up. Don't overtighten the nuts because the clutch wont be able to slip if you hit rocks or other hard objects with the tiller, thereby potentially damaging tiller or driveline.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Is it the slip clutch on the PTO shaft that was smoking? First, put the pto in neutral, shut off engine then check to make sure the tiller rotates freely by hand and isn't binding. If so it sounds like it need to be set up. There should be about 8 bolts with springs on them. Let clutch cool off then loosen the nuts until the springs just touch the flange then tighten them all 1.5 turns. Try tilling a short distance and then check the clutch for heat. If its still slipping, it'll get hot quick. Tighten each of the nuts half a turn and try tilling again. Repeat until clutch does not heat up. Don't overtighten the nuts because the clutch wont be able to slip if you hit rocks or other hard objects with the tiller, thereby potentially damaging tiller or driveline.
I second what both Eric and freewheel said- check the oil levels, make sure the u-joints have been greased, and check the clutch. I did it different- I torqued the bolts to 15 ft lbs. Either method, you want the clutch to hold without slipping when normally using it, but to slip if it gets bound up by a rock or some other object- the goal of the clutch is to protect the tractor driveline. For that matter, it is a good idea to check the clutch before the start of the season. If the clutch gets wet, it can rust and bond the two surfaces together, where they won't be able to slip when necessary. In the spring, I loosen the bolts on mine, make sure it spins seperately, then torque them back down.
If you jumped in and used the tiller without checking everything out, now is the time to get more familar with it. It isn't like a blade or box scraper; it is an expensive implement with critical parts, and it needs attention. The better care you give it, the longer it will work for you.
I don't think they can ship it with fluids in it. If you bought it from a dealer, they should have either serviced it, including making sure the clutch was set up for usage, or they should have informed you that it would be your responsibility. Again, a tiller is expensive; you shouldn't have to deal with a burned up clutch or gearbox because someone didn't do their responsibility.

Last edited:

Ferfey

Equipment
Apr 14, 2013
Valley Center, KS
Dealer came by and picked up the drive line thinking the same as you all that it was the clutch. I noticed, in the daylight, there was a small amount of shredded black compound that was on the top of the tiller casing and thrown on both inside surface of the metal surrounding where the clutch goes. Dealer is reputable, came highly recommended and has been around for a long time... hoping they'll get it sorted out. I'll post an update when I hear back.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Could be one of those freak things where the tiller slipped threw the cracks and was over looked. Lets see if the dealer steps up to the plate and fixes the issue.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the dealer doesn't step up to the plate for you call Land Pride and talk to their service department. Sometimes they will put some pep in a dealers step and will make them stay on top of a issue like this. I had to do this with Bushhog once on a problem the dealer didn't want to address. After one call from Bushhog the dealer did their job and fixed the problem.

Ferfey

Equipment
Apr 14, 2013
Valley Center, KS
Dealer came through. The clutch wasn't set properly and was slipping. They replaced all the pads, adjusted it and reinstalled it on the tiller. Thanks for the advice (now I know what to look for if I have problems again... and tilling in the dark isn't the greatest idea!)