Smart guys RFID

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just got a new bank card with the chip. Its not that I dont trust people, its just that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I dont trust people.
Anyway, Im wondering if anyone has disabled a chip how you did it or how you heard that guy in the bar did it, and did the card still work with the strip?
Now I can understand on your drivers licence or pass port ya dont want to muck them up but the cards,, yeah I dont like that and I dont carry my pass port so thats not a worry.
And I was wondering it say stainless steel screen in the lining of a wallet would work.
And yeah is it illegal to disable the chip,,
I have a problem with big brother, looking over my shoulder, we aint never gettin off the grid but the less access people have to us the better

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The new chips are not RFID chips.

If you kill the chip in your card is not going to work at all.
If it is equipped with a chip you can't use the strip if the card machine reads chips.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
If referring to the "tap and buy" on many new cards, there are sleeves that you can store the card in that prevents any proximity scan. They are the same "card shield" as used for newer passports (ones with chips in them).
You may even be able to get a sleeve from your local card issuing bank....
That said, you are at a bigger risk of a rip off by using your card at a local store with a dishonest employee.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - sorry for my ignorance, is this is a debit card for the bank?

I'm not one to use debits, and only use a credit card a few times/year.

I use cash whenever possible....No chips in that, that we know of!!

Who 'da thunk it - I do have a PayPal account to buy tractor stuff. My wife is still amazed/pissed about that!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My wife uses a wallet with a liner to precent scanning.
I do nothing. I do keep an eye on my surroundings,especially in the city when we go shopping. But the skimmers are devious buggers, i never let my card out of my sight.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well skeets, if you meant by bank card a credit card, you are protected from fraudulent purchases by the issuer,eg. Visa, and you just have to check your statement every month. Online purchases are the most risky, and one strategy to avoid the inconvenience if you have to freeze an account, is to make all online purchases with a separate low limit card. As said above, at restaurants and grocery stores most are either chip readers or stripe scanners and the card data can't be snatched out of thin air. Skimmers at gas stations are a separate risk.

The only way to avoid someone knowing where you are and what you bought is cash only, and a stash under the mattress, not very convenient. I don't know what risks are with the bank cash cards, I never liked the thought of having to argue with the bank that I hadn't made those purchases and why were my checks bouncing?

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If the card has a RFID chip, it will have a symbol that looks something like:

The credit/debit cards that just have a normal chip in them are a lot safer than using the magnetic strip on the card.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Anyway, Im wondering if anyone has disabled a chip how you did it or how you heard that guy in the bar did it, and did the card still work with the strip?
As others have said, you don't want to disable the chip itself, because the chip is also required for the contact type terminals. What you want to do is disable the RFID (radio) capability. And that is simple enough to do: just cut the antenna.

Using a strong LED flashlight, shine the light through the card in the area of the chip. You should be able to see the shadow of the antenna wire through the plastic. The exact location and style varies, but typically will be very fine and often forms a loop around the perimeter of the card. Once you find it, mark the location(s). Then cut the wire(s) with a sharp utility knife or drill with a fine drill bit. No antenna = no radio signal.

Call me a charter member of the tinfoil hat club, but I habitually do this to all my RFID equipped financial cards.

Just googled it, check out this instructable:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Disabling-Contacless-Payment-on-Debit-Cards/

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is interesting. Learn something new every day.

Wasn't trying to be a smart alec earlier. Didn't realize what some of those things can do.