small cracks in new Goodyear Titan R-1's

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
I just purchased a left over 2010 MX5100 with Goodyear Titan R-1's. Both front tires have many small micro cracks in the rubber near the tread cleat bases. The rears look fine. I just picked up the tractor today and also noticed a rear axle seal leak. I'm going to go to a closer dealer to get the seal fixed under warranty. My question is should these new tires have a tire warranty also? Should I pursue with the dealer to get replacements or is this no big deal?

I suspect since the tractor probably sat on the dealer's lot for a year or two, it had a good bit of sun exposure in GA.

Thanks,

HP

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The cracks probably won't be a issue for you but I would have a problem with a paying for a new tractor with tires like that. If you do deside to pursue it I would do it before it gets used and give them a opening to say it was something you did to it.

Just for thought: My 04 M 9000 has Titan's on it and they don't have any cracks front ot rear. If the cracks don't bother you I would keep the Titan's though. Mine are holding up very good and this tractor is roaded to all my fields away from the main farm. It's to tall to haul with my hay mower on it and to long for my trailer with the other implements I use with it. If it's possible I will use Titan tires on my tractors from now on.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Could have used the shitty tires as leverage to get some dollar bills off the final sale price of the tractor or had the dealer replace the tires at the time you bought it!

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
The light "crazing" that you see is probably nothing to worry about since they'll probably last fine until they're worn out. The reason you see it on the front more usually is because they turn which puts more stress on them just the nature of the beast. Most fronts in MFWD will wear out 3 fronts to one set of rears due to turning versus the rears stationary and because they're so much smaller making more revolutions..simple math really. I'd be surprised if it's anything more than a simple appearance problem.

That said I'd certainly bring it to the dealers attention so it's documented and take pictures etc and possibly contact the company directly and let them know your fears. Consumers carry far more weight than the tire dealer or tractor dealer does in my experience after more than 40 years in the tire business. In my experience Titan's the worst one to deal with when it comes to taking care of legitimate problems under warranty. Now that they own and produce Goodyear Ag tires I wouldn't be shocked if that carries over to that brand as well being the same company people and policy wise.
Al