• Muffler forward

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Muffler upwards

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

volp

Equipment
Kubota B6001, MF35 with backhoe, Ford 3000, JD LX186 Lawn tractor
Dont know if this is the right subforum for my question?
I just bought a B6001 4WD which had the silencer mounted forward which I suppose is the most common way. My experience is that the exchaust gases sometimes tend to get in my face. My MF35 back in Sweden have an upright silencer as most bigger tractors.
What are you opinions on this? Forward or upward? :confused:

Anders

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Upwards, heat rises! :D
Also if your using a front mount blade, Snowblower, or even a FEL, Up keeps the exhaust from bouncing off the implement and back at ya. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I have two tractors with muffler facing forward. No trouble at all. It also is less likely to catch on branches, etc. No rain gets in it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have two tractors with muffler facing forward. No trouble at all. It also is less likely to catch on branches, etc. No rain gets in it.
I agree - after thinking about it a minute - I like forward, up is in the visual way and also something else to snag a branch.....also - you dont have to cap it it rain or snow in the vertical mount.:)

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
If mine was upward, It would of been torn off more than once.
I also think, forward is a little more quiet. Less to look around, And less exh smell.
upward Is a little cleaner on the tractor.
It depends on your personal use..

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Up looks cooler!

blank102

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Feb 2, 2015
Mexifornia
I voted for upright. I've noticed that on my forward exhaust it gets in my lungs too often.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Up- mine was forward when I got it, but I kept getting a face full of exhaust, and the PO had apparently left it at just the right height enough times to blacken the FEL arm and cook a couple of hoses. Up, tall pipe, with a bend at the top to keep out the rain.

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I don't want to sound like a politician but I have both and they both work fine.

The Ford 1210 exhaust from the forward-facing stock muffler blowing back over me was an annoyance since I got it in 1992. When I replaced the rusted out stock muffler last year, I couldn't find an identical replacement. A small Cherry Bomb muffler from Advance Auto, couple weld pipe fittings, scrap pipe, exhaust flapper from TSC, some shop time and it now wears an upward-facing exhaust. The little tractor is much more pleasant to operate. Should have done this 20 years ago.

The L3200 faces forward. The exhaust never bothered me with or without the cab. Maybe it shoots the exhaust out a lot lower than the operator's head than the Ford did?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I turned mine up on my B7100 and added a short stack with a flapper to start with then later changed it to a 90 because I got tired of hearing the flapper rattle all the time.

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
I will have it fwd every day in a week. When I moved in to were I live, the previous owner of the house had an old MF with a huge black spotin the garage cieling.
This is just one of the reasons why I will keep the muffler forward to keep my nowadays (almost) white painted cieling. Also, I think I have the noise further away from my ears...
Just my 2 cents.

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Low forward out the front or really high upward. One of my tractors had a low upward (ROPS Height). It just buried me in exhaust. I ran it up 8 feet or so and hit a branch with it. But it is so nicely sloped back and behind me after it bent back that it is a beautiful thing.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If you aim the Silencer forward and then you backup, which way is it pointing then :eek: :confused: :confused: :p :D
If you aim the Silencer up it will always be pointed up - unless you roll it over:eek: then it really does not matter.;):)

What does that do for your stats? :p:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OHHHHH your talking about a muffler:eek:,,, I though,, OH never mind:rolleyes:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
My previous two tractors had front pointed exhaust just outside the hood. I liked that this setup took the worry of catching a limb, etc. from happening. I do a lot of mowing in and around trees so a long vertical pipe is a liability. Occasionally I'd get a whiff of fumes if the wind was just right.
On my new M5140 there wasn't an option for a side/front exhaust pipe. I could have had something fabricated, but decided to try a shortened version of the standard long vertical pipe. We took about 18" off the top. So far it's worked well with no exhaust fumes noticeable. I still have an original pipe in case the shortened one doesn't work out.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I finally got my B2150 to a point where I could use it a fair bit this last weekend, even though the "dash" is still not together. I really liked the vertical stack that goes up about even with my canopy (on the ROPS). It's on the left side, and I turned the end bend to eject up and to the left.

The B7100 that I still have and has seen me through the long down time of the B2150 has the exhaust pointed forward. Sitting mostly still, it doesn't really matter. But most of the time I'm moving forward (or back and forth) at a relatively low rate of speed, and that low exhaust leaves me feeling like I'm choking. I do NOT like it horizontal and forward, but if I went vertical it would need a longer pipe to get it above my head. At that point, being hot gas ejected rapidly upward, it should rise and carry away. Indoor storage and painted garage ceilings not withstanding...