Shuttle vs HST

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
I'm about to buy a new tractor, exact model still up for debate but in the 30-40 hp range. After demo'ing them I had pretty much made up my mind on HST. But here is my Dilemna.

I got one dealer praising the HST to no end, and another dealer Praising the Shuttle. Both make references to the others failures, issues and costs of repair IF.

As for hear searching archives, Ive read more about issues with shuttle's.

What I would like to hear, from the actual guys like me who own,operate and maintain their own rigs, is their expereinces good or bad. Repair costs if any are avail...I guess some might call this a poll...looking fwd to the replies.

At the rate I used my old one, its use would probably avg 500 hrs max in the next 20 years.

Thanks,
Mike

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm about to buy a new tractor, exact model still up for debate but in the 30-40 hp range. After demo'ing them I had pretty much made up my mind on HST. But here is my Dilemna.

What tractor and what kind of shuttle? (some are better than others). Any of the Kubota HST's are nearly bulletproof.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
My apologies..

Kubota L series, L3200, 3800, or Grand L3240. are the candidates. All new 2011's, all 4wd With Loader

HST vs GST

Of course the 32 & 38 dont have GST as an option.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I have a shuttle and it has taken me a little time to get use to it. You can shift on the go which I like and you can go from forward to reverse without using the clutch. That is the thing I am having to learn. The tractor only has about 130 hours so there hasn't been any issues. Most people say if you are going to do a lot of loader work the hyd is the way to go.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Guess I'm old fashion. I went with a standard gear drive on my new L3800 and love it.

Our old 3750 has a shuttle though and it works good.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My 1999 Grand L has GST shuttle and over 1100 hours of loader work and brush cutting, hauling logs, ie general grunt work with no issues so far.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
I have a shuttle and it has taken me a little time to get use to it. You can shift on the go which I like and you can go from forward to reverse without using the clutch. That is the thing I am having to learn. The tractor only has about 130 hours so there hasn't been any issues. Most people say if you are going to do a lot of loader work the hyd is the way to go.
Hmmm...I thought that was the one time when one HAD to use the clutch on the GST, other than that no shifting.

Thanks for all the input

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
The only time I use the clutch is if I need the precision to back up quick hitch to implement, etc. Don't need to clutch to shift Forward to Reverse as long as you let the tractor stop rolling (I use the brake) before changing direction. The Shifter is the lever for speeds 1-8, the shuttle is Forward or Reverse or Neutral. it is really quite easy to operate. I don't have much experience with the HST but its easy too.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I run an HST L5030 and M8540 HDC hydraulic shuttle, ran a synchro shuttle from 1998 to 2010 and haven't had any problems with any of them.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I had warranty issues with my shuttle. Once that was fixed it has been great. The forward / reverse and shifting on the fly are much better than the hst I have run.

E/S

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use my tractor like a tractor. Wouldn't want a hst on anything but a lawn mower.

I have a friend that has a gst shuttle. He uses it more like a bulldozer than a tractor. Has almost 800 hrs on it and had 0 problems from the gst.
I just don't understand why kubota limits us to hst on the L cab models. That would make me not buy one for my needs.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
thanks for all the feedback, sounds like they are both pretty much bulletproof...dont know why two diff dealers would have two diff views.

bulldog, fully agree with your view of the L models.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Both dealers probably gave you an answer based off of sales. One may sell more HST modles then the other one. Some dealers let numbers speak for themselves. My personal preference is a gear or GST tranny. More power to the gound, they work better for ground engaging work. Its what I'm used to operating and to me alot quieter.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I'm confident the delaers are making recommendations based on $$$
They choose to stock a particular model based on the price they pay for it which directly affects the margins they make on it.

I could be wrong, I usually am!

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I own a L3830 with an HST and love it I have 860 hours on it with NO problems. I do alot of ripping, discing and plowing and other farming and it works great . I wouldnt have a FEL with out the HST it preforms great I bought my Kubota used and realy wanted the direct shift but after operating the HST I love my HST.

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
I chose HST so I can keep the engine at full speed for the snowblower and still modulate tractor speed to match the amount of snow piling up in front of the blower.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This kind of reminds me of the tire thread from a little while back. Each type tranny has it's place and no single one will make everybody happy. It's great to have several different choices.

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
this is the best answer I could find about it along with the higher resale value of the HST

"TUDOR" said:
HST for precision speed control and SST manual transmissions for bullwork.

What tasks you expect to use the tractor for will determine the best transmission for you. The lower PTO horsepower from a hydro can be compensated for by slightly lower travel rates, and the small amount of time lost can be recovered by speeding up when the load is lessened. eg. Slow down when blowing through a big snow drift and speeding up for the areas with little snow.

I'm curious as to why there is a different PTO horsepower rating for the 2 transmissions. Most PTOs are direct coupled to the engine, not the transmission. Transmission power loss for hydros is commensurate with the amount of work that the hydro is doing, and that is not much when a PTO powered implement is being used. I cannot think of a situation where the tractor is moving at top speed under heavy load and traction when using a powered implement, and that is where the lowered PTO rating will be generated.

Now if your normal mode of, say, snowblowing involves towing a 2 ton sander up a steep hill at the same time as you are blowing through 2' drifts at 5 mph, then yes, the higher PTO rating of a SST might be beneficial. But at anything less than full speed, the hydro inefficiencies will be lessened accordingly and more power will be available for the PTO.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
This kind of reminds me of the tire thread from a little while back. Each type tranny has it's place and no single one will make everybody happy. It's great to have several different choices.
It sure is, I like the HST as well as Hydraulic Shuttle Shift and didn't mind the Synchro Shuttle or even the old non synchro crash boxes on the older tractors when I was younger. My brother is as happy as he can be on our old MF375, Case 995 or Ford 600.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
This.

I've used hydros, crash boxes, and full syncomesh trannys (no shuttles) and they're all perfectly fine transmissions. I prefer straight crash boxes or syncomesh because I like the challenge and the feel of rowing gears smoothly and professionally but the hydro is definitely easier to use for just about any task. You run at a constant rpm and exactly the right ground speed for any task and adjust your speed with a thought. If designed with a pressure relief you can't overload them and the only real cons are the slight risk of over heat and the marginal loss in PTO hp.