Shouldn't the PTO Turn with Tractor Off in Neutral??

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
I Just got done Brush Hogging for the 1st time with my 5 month old Tractor (L3560 with 20hrs) when I was done I stopped and turned off the tractor and wanted to check the condition of my new blades, I reached under and grabbed a Blade (Checked it) then wanted to spin it so the other blade came around. It wont spin, then I tried turning the PTO driveshaft (still connected) and it wont spin either (obviously :) ) Should it?? My Massey could spin while hooked up..

Also, When I started I had 3/4 tank of fuel, Now it says Full.. I cycled the key and nothing changed...

aarolar

Aug 26, 2012
Augusta GA
I can't turn mine (MX4800) it's kinda a pain when hooking up to things that I can't turn the pto shaft on like the post hole digger and tiller.

On grandpa's tractor (Ford 5030) and my old Massey 135 it would spin free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I noticed the same thing on my new Kubota.

The old John Deere would turn freely as long as the PTO wasn't in gear. It didn't have live/independent PTO.

The Kubota has IPTO and the shaft will not move in any combination of running/off/neutral/pto lever postion that I have found. Makes it a bit of a PITA to hook up PTO shafts on some equipment.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a L3560 HST, and with the pto off, tractor off, but I don't shift the range gear into neutral, I can grab the blades on my flail and turn the drum so it is easier to unhook the pto. Never tried in neutral.

Also the fuel gauge is a little sticky. May read high or low after going uphill or downhill or?. I check fuel level with flashlight to make sure.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Some tractors have a pto brake, that comes on, when shifting out of pto engaged position. Might be a safety thing the gov't has decided for us...:D:D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
This is a question not a statement. With the wet clutches in the hydrostatic transmissions would the oil continue to rotate the PTO when the clutch is disengaged? The brake is then required for safety to prevent oil drag rotation.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All new tractors are equipped with a PTO brake, yes it's a safety thing, without the brake the PTO can spin (without torque) just from oil drag on the gears or clutches.

This is a question not a statement. With the wet clutches in the hydrostatic transmissions would the oil continue to rotate the PTO when the clutch is disengaged? The brake is then required for safety to prevent oil drag rotation.
Hydrostatic transmissions really have nothing to do with it, the PTO drive is a separate drive than the Hydrostat drive and is either controlled via a hydraulic clutch or a standard disk clutch depending on model.
But yes oil drag is what causes the PTO to spin even when off, and it does it with both gear and hydraulic clutch driven PTO setups. ;)

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Just a thought and guessing the mower is at back of tractor. On mine you have pto at back only. Both on and mmm pto only on. If you have this gear setup. Try switching to mmm pto only and try turning pto then to freely turn pto. Some times i have to rotate mine to hook tiller up to back pto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
PHPaul. I see we have same tractors so this should help. On my new B2650 I found that if I want to free up the rear pto to hook up the pto shaft, with tractor off I slip the selector to the front or mmm and the rear will turn 180 degrees back and forth to easily hook up rear shaft. The same with the front or mmm I slip the selector to the rear pto with tractor off and the mmm will easily spin to hook up the front shaft for mmm.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
PHPaul. I see we have same tractors so this should help. On my new B2650 I found that if I want to free up the rear pto to hook up the pto shaft, with tractor off I slip the selector to the front or mmm and the rear will turn 180 degrees back and forth to easily hook up rear shaft. The same with the front or mmm I slip the selector to the rear pto with tractor off and the mmm will easily spin to hook up the front shaft for mmm.
Good to know! I'll try that next time I hook something up.

(Which, unfortunately, may be the @#$)(* snowblower...:( )