Should we have series-specific forums?

Add series-specific forums?

• No

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 66 75.9%
  • Yes but not by series (something else instead...)

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello folks -

Something that we have been thinking of lately is perhaps introducing series-specific forums alongside those that we have already. For example, we might start with these:

B Series
BX Series
L Series
M Series

This would allow owners of the models that fall under those series a better way of finding and contributing to threads which are specific to their particular models. Right now, the service & maintenance forums collect a very wide range of issues that span the entire Kubota range. Might be nice for owners to be able to drill down faster to only threads that concern like-models. Lots of forums do this already, particularly car or motorcycle forums.

There are other series of course (TLB, K, KX, etc) but I am not sure if there are enough vocal owners to allow those forums to reach "critical mass". Maybe I'm wrong here.

What do we think? I'm open to perhaps organizing instead of series but by category/vintage instead - modern equipment, vintage Kubota and lawn + garden as a third category.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think it is an awesome idea!
look forward to seeing it implemented.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Mr. K, YES, that sounds like a great idea.

Would there be any way to get past posts that identified the specific Series in the original Title sorted to include them in the Series breakdown ? Or, would this only apply to future posts ?

Would the Series fall under as a "sub-directory" under the Service & Maintenance category ?

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats a tough call Bossman! I'm looking at it yeah its a great for a newcomer to nagavate their way around. But for us old timers with the experiance in sharing our knowledge its more for us to keep up with and sort through.

I'd say making searching a problem a little bit easier. If there was a way to keep the same repetive question and answer down too that would be awesome.

TOOOOOO many heated debates on topics such as which transmission gear or HST. What additives to use or where to buy parts and such.

I know its been asked to add a section for the construction equipment like the KX series excavators but hardly any of us on here have one to lend our help on.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yes, I certainly see advantages to this, but my only problem with the idea is there are currently 10 sub forums, (with the classifieds) and 11 would take just that much longer to stay current on. A Rhino forum I used to moderate went from 4 to 14 sub forums, and became kind of a drag to stay current on, especially after a few days off. That being said, I think the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. Old guy rant ended.:)

b20barry

Equipment
B20 TLB
Aug 18, 2013
Somerset county,Pa
I think it would be ok. I always use the new post tab and like to read a little of everything anyway. Might learn something! Usually do!

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Mr. K,

You do have the best, if not the only, Kubota specific forum on the web, no doubt about that.
The only down side is the low active member/user count, maybe 20-30 active members here on a daily basis. I have belonged to a gun site, for example, that has 13K viewers/users on any given day, that site may have 40+ sub categories.

There is a thread here by SCVandy regarding an older L (IIRC) and a wire fuse issue, that thread would go without response for weeks if lost in a sub-category that few ever go to. I believe there is only one other thread here that even addressed the issue, no one that viewed the thread even knew that wire fuses existed, never saw or heard of a wire fuse. Had that thread not been posted in a general maintenance forum, she would have never gotten a response at all.

The only thing, in my opinion that is lacking...and I agree that sub forums for model specific is needed, would be Tech forums. Tech forums would contain model specific information, part numbers, member write-ups, how to, PDFs for WSMs..etc...

There are a couple of threads here regarding head light improvements of the B7100, they are all but lost and one will have to search to find them.....or tire size and options for the B7100 and like models. That specific info should be listed and stickied for quick reference.
Other than that, I would not change a thing....sometimes we progress ourselves right out of usefulness and practicality.
Thanks.

Last edited:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I use mostly the "new posts" and if that will not be separated I will be happy. Everything else is a searching issue for everyone and that is normal if a forum gets bigger and wider...

carl

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Being one of the "new guys", I've found I spend a lot of time sorting to find what's relevant to me. A little more area specific categories and forums would be helpful. There just comes a point where one doesn't want, or simply doesn't have the time, to read everything.

Since I have a forum or two of my own, I also realize people will post willy nilly. You'll spend a lot of time moving topics to their proper area, the more choices people have, the less likely they are to pick an applicable forum.

No matter how you do it, threads will get lost in history. One way of avoiding this is by pinning them, but I'm on another forum that has so many topics pinned, it's a pain scrolling down to find what's current. So not really the hot setup either. Maybe a specific archived tech category which can be referred to would keep that information available.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I just had a horrible thought….. this won't lead to a separate sub forum for-
backhoe
FEL
box scraper
rototiller
PHD
plow
snowblower
back blade
harrow
disc
land plane
forks
log skid
lawn roller
etc., etc.
:rolleyes::p

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
A few BROAD catagory sub forums would be fine with me as long as the new posts for all catagories is still available. Either way this is a great site and Mr K you and Vic do a super job supporting us Cheers Don....

bamabota

Equipment
L3200DT, LA524FL loader, 5' Land Pride bush hog
Jul 6, 2013
Oxford, AL
I vote for it! I could find more owners of the same model as mine much faster. I could review their complications or suggestions much easier. Computer programs are constantly changing, so why not the forum also! GOOD LUCK!!!

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
OrangeTractor has over 16,000 members, and 910 active members.

It would be interesting to know what the series breakdown of the active members is before deciding. Perhaps Mr K could add a poll to this thread.

A sub forum series that just had a few active owners might end up being or feeling ignored.

Hope my thought is coming across.

Buse

Equipment
B6100 with FEL
Oct 3, 2011
Sweden
I have been reading (hardly writing at all) almost daily since I got my B6100 some 2 years ago. I have learned so much and got so much suppport and response to the my queries so far. I do see advantage with series specific. But I agree that some interesting issues will be very small and also repetitive if the forum is divided further.
Just my 2cents...

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
well the idea of series-specific is nice, but as some have pointed out there are those rare models that post would be lost in time. i do how ever believe a breakdown by vintage would be lovely, as my L-210 realistically has nothing in common with anything new other than its a kubota.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm pretty happy with the lot you've given us. I wouldn't mind if you listed tractor series and other things like "box blade", "MMM" etc. in a drop-down for TAGS. That would make it easy to search for a series comment. Might also make us more likely to include a tag or two! I never seem to remember.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
IF YOU MISSED IT BEFORE
NO

I have belonged to another forum for about 10 years and lurked for several before joining. When I started it took me a little time to learn the layout and was easy to navigate. Now there are so many category, sub forums, with in sub forums ,with in sub forums, that it is nearly impossible to find anything. At times there are more people logged on in thatsite than there are total threads in OTT. It has become such a fuster cluck it isn't wort using.

A better idear IMHO is to create a list of tags that you fill out when you create a new thread. One tag would be the series, (BX, B, L, M, etc), the next would be chosen from a drop down menu that would be triggered from the series you chose listing the specific tractor. Another would be the problem you are looking for help with divided into general categories, hydraulic, 3pt hitch, FEL, steering, implement, etc, other. Also, leave open the option for someone to just enter a title like is currently done.

When you open the search function you would also have thee same tag options to search to narrow your search or opt for a general search like is currently offered.

This would not offer much help for older posts unless some went back and categorized all posts to comply with the new criteria. Someone with programming skills could probably create a fairly accurate brake down of the older posts looking for key words.

I for one have learned a lot about things, (general knowledge), from posts that were not about my tractor a specific series but can be transferred over and applied to a problem that I might have, or to prevent one. ( a piston rebuild for a bx might not be exactly the same as an L or M but the principals are the same)

agree:
I'm pretty happy with the lot you've given us. I wouldn't mind if you listed tractor series and other things like "box blade", "MMM" etc. in a drop-down for TAGS. That would make it easy to search for a series comment. Might also make us more likely to include a tag or two! I never seem to remember.

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
I enjoy this site immensely, and generally go through all the posts, as everything is basically Kubota related and it is nice to see questions / concerns/ and occasional problems that everyone has. It tends to give a better knowledge base by learning about all the products , as well as implements, mods etc.
All I can say is to just keep it up!! it is a great site and regardless of any re-structuring if that does happen, it will still be outstanding!

Cheers

Roger