Should we have series-specific forums?

Add series-specific forums?

• No

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 66 75.9%
  • Yes but not by series (something else instead...)

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Great forum and easy to navigate as it is. The search box works great as does the new posts tab. If you are thinking about adding a subforum think about the new tier 4 models, problems and solutions. Ed B

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Ok, message heard! I would like to meet the spirit underlying the poll question that I submitted nearly a year ago now.

I like the suggestion for tagging. Would help readers find relevant posts and threads while at the same time, not splitting the forums too finely which seems to be a common concern.

I'll look into getting something like tagging configured. Thanks for the feedback folks, appreciate it.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
When there is a small population both in the item (kubota tractors in this case) and in the number of people actively involved..... you should not split by model. This fractures helpful information given in discussions cause people tend to sit in one model forum and not in others thus less help, and friendships develop. This does not help a forum grow.

Now if there is a huge population say pirate4x4 where there is thousands of participants in each area (Jeeps, Toyota's, Buggy's, Rovers, Rockcrawler's, mudder's etc.) then it makes since to divide. The Unimog forum I was with for over a decade is similar to here. Lots of models but still a rare beast and not a whole lot of folk involved as it is. Keeping it non model specific has shown to be best. It's now the largest English speaking Unimog Forum on the net as far as I know. Im sure the moderators I handed it over too recent still do not have any plans to go to split model format.

benzworld.org/forums/unimog

Last edited:

volp

Equipment
Kubota B6001, MF35 with backhoe, Ford 3000, JD LX186 Lawn tractor
Probably no as a lot of information is relevant to a many different models.
What could be useful is, what has been suggested earlier, a place to collect all pdf stuff. Like wheel data and other specifications.
For manuals we already got KUBOTABOOKS. :D

Anders

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
My vote is no.
I like looking at all the modifications for all models as they may apply to my model.

Many things are universal Nd should not be categorized.

What is needed is a drop down field with models listed.
Then in the search options I could select just a model and find the model specific info.

Otherwise I would have to dig into every model to find cool things!

Like the skid shoes that someone was looking for their bx2330d and I would not have seen it.
http://r2manufacturing.com/
I was able to make them for my bx25!

Plus many more things I have learned by reading many posts of many models.

Ray

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Before I bought my tractor I read just about every forum and message with in.
Bought my Kabota due partly to this web site. I now know where just about every thing is and use search for recall. I would hate to have to undo what I have upstairs. My vote boarders hard to the no side.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
"Dont fix what ain't broke"
Make a couple insignificant changes to a forum, people get lost and never return. Some forums can be frustrating to navigate, the easier it is-the more its visited.

One thing i have noticed,very few moderators.some have for every topic, and for different regions/states/provinces.

This is my happy place,please don't change it.

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Perhaps for a start it would be nice to have sub-forums in the implements forum, i.e. one for snow-blowers, one for tillers, etc. Maybe have them pinned by category?

volp

Equipment
A way to find what you are searching for, instead of new categories, is a better search function.:confused:
This I have found in other forums there it is possible to use AND, OR variables. By that you can find only those posts that contain all the words in the search by using AND between them. By using OR you find posts with anyone of the search words. Sometimes the search engine have a mark that says "every word" which makes it even easier. ;)
Examples could be: D950 AND cooling, B6001 AND manual.

Anders

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
A way to find what you are searching for, instead of new categories, is a better search function.:confused:
This I have found in other forums there it is possible to use AND, OR variables. By that you can find only those posts that contain all the words in the search by using AND between them. By using OR you find posts with anyone of the search words. Sometimes the search engine have a mark that says "every word" which makes it even easier. ;)
Examples could be: D950 AND cooling, B6001 AND manual.

Anders
What he said.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
having grown with well over a decade of hard daily work; a forum that started as sitting idle in the background to the largest English speaking of it's kind on the net.... I have a little insight on this idea.

Like this forum's topic (kubota tractors)... the previous one I built up was also a tractorish vehicle NOT in large use across the world and with various models. (Example; compared to say Toyota off road rigs being seemingly one in every 10th garage across the world, Kubota would be like Suzukie off roaders...... found in every 1000th garage, and only in a few countries)

Like here the forum I grew had a BIG NAME (Mercedes) and each model has ties to another and conceptually they were very similar. Another simularity is that in reality... repair, maintaince, fabrication etc. was also similar across the board. But most importantly..... the forum members wealth of information fit very much universal to each model.

Best decision I made from the start was to NOT seperate the series specific due to all the above. But mostly cause good answers to questions, and plain ol' valuable discussion came from a handful of people and to have them to begin to sit in their favorite section adding good info mostly there meant many questions would go unanswered.. would mean many discussions would not be as postitively lively as well....... or having them need to work harder to navigate around to all the various sections...... to answer questions, add .02 cents to good threads etc......... just was bad way to go about promoting good discussion and a bad way to get members good advice. Two things neccissary to keep a forum alive..... and GROWING.

Sadly I had to give up my fast tractor/expedtion camper dream some time ago and finally handed off the forum to others 6 months or so ago for it was just time to let it go. Today it still remains not series specific...... and is better for it. It is still the most active on the net and am confident will remain so.

Site..... benzworld.org/forums/unimog

ps..... and why the hell does my chrome spell check NOT work in this and only this forum. grrrrrrrr......... sorry for the miss spellings.

Last edited:

volp

Equipment
Like here the forum I grew had a BIG NAME (Mercedes) and each model has ties to another and conceptually they were very similar. Another simularity is that in reality... repair, maintaince, fabrication etc. was also similar across the board. But most importantly..... the forum members wealth of information fit very much universal to each model.

Best decision I made from the start was to NOT seperate the series specific due to all the above. But mostly cause good answers to questions, and plain ol' valuable discussion came from a handful of people and to have them to begin to sit in their favorite section adding good info mostly there meant many questions would go unanswered.. would mean many discussions would not be as postitively lively as well....... or having them need to work harder to navigate around to all the various sections...... to answer questions, add .02 cents to good threads etc......... just was bad way to go about promoting good discussion and a bad way to get members good advice. Two things neccissary to keep a forum alive..... and GROWING.

It is the same on this forum with a handful of people sharing a wealth of information with the rest of us!:)

Anders

Last edited: