Should we care?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Except most humans cannot think their own...they need to be told what to think.
I agree.
part of that problem is the availablity of information, and how it is conveyed to the populus. When information is made readily available, it is also very easily manipulated, which manipulates society.

and therein lies a huge issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Hunters gun

Equipment
“My gun collection is bigger than your gun collection”
Oct 18, 2021
PA
"……….
I mean nothing significant will likely change in the next fifty years or so.

Wouldn't it be better to just worry about how the flowers are growing?
……….”
yyyyeah. Ok

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
yyyyeah. Ok
OK, I guess I was kind of optimistic saying that "nothing significant" will change over the next fifty years. Obviously, judging from the last fifty years, that is almost certainly wrong.

Still, with our limited time on the planet, might it not be better to watch and enjoy the flowers growing (or grand kids, or whatever) , rather than spend frustrating time worrying about what we have no control over anyway? In other words, spend one's limited time on the planet filled with positive feelings rather than negative...

I guess I may just have a loser's perspective. I will concede that.

Just my way of thinking...to each his own really...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
OK, I guess I was kind of optimistic saying that "nothing significant" will change over the next fifty years. Obviously, judging from the last fifty years, that is almost certainly wrong.

Still, with our limited time on the planet, might it not be better to watch and enjoy the flowers growing (or grand kids, or whatever) , rather than spend frustrating time worrying about what we have no control over anyway? In other words, spend one's limited time on the planet filled with positive feelings rather than negative...

I would agree the older I get the more I concern myself with what I can control than with what I can’t control. I still pay attention to things I can’t control so I’m as prepared as practical for things that may impact me, but truly worrying about ships that no one seems to able to unload isn’t helpful. Preparing for resulting supply shortages both mentally and in practical ways that are within my control is more likely to be something I’ll concern myself with. Just an example. And I agree spending at least some time focusing on the good things and beauty around me is time well spent.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Links would help
Haven't read the thread yet so maybe repeating, but here you go

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
That was the article I saw and lost track of.

Not sure the definition of AI excludes biological components. Fortunately I will not be around to worry about it when it matters.
From the NPR article:
Xenobots are collections of living cells and have no brain or digestive system. But in a real sense they can be programmed — to corral other cells, as in this study, or eventually to do other things. That's why the researchers think of them as tiny organic robots.

"The distinction between a robot and an organism is not nearly as sharp as ... we used to think it was," Levin tells NPR. "These creatures, they have properties of both."
They can't replicate more than 2 generations currently.

But it does bring to mind Jeff Goldblum's line in Jurassic Park "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

Lets also not forget the enormous amount of money made by shareholders in the cloud based "disruptor" companies. I think Amazon is up 900% in the last 10 years. There are lots of these. This benefits most retirement account holders and individual investors alike. Stan Druckenmiller a famous money manager stated recently that there is more change occurring now in society than at anytime since the internal combustion engine supplanted the horse and buggy.

Hunters gun

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
PA
4 star general 50 years ago:

1638399156574.jpeg

4 star general today:

1638398602397.jpeg

Airline flight attendant 50 years ago:

1638399220737.png

Airline flight attendant today:

1638399329904.jpeg

Yep!!! Looks like nothing much changes in 50 years!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One big old EMP and we are half way back to the stoneage

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yep!!! Looks like nothing much changes in 50 years!
I think the hairstyles changed. Those last two look like pictures from the same era!

First two pictures...my first thought was that a general's most important quality is brainpower...not sure they do anything requiring brawn or physical action for the most part.

No doubt though that the third picture in your series is the one I like most though! (y) to that one! 😁

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I'm going to die soon, so I don't care, screw everyone else?

I guess the "let em die" thread ran its coarse.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm going to die soon, so I don't care, screw everyone else?

I guess the "let em die" thread ran its coarse.
That other thread fortunately was locked and no argument here...

But as usual, you seem to miss the point; OR perhaps as usual, I seem to miss making mine!

LOL...

Hunters gun

Equipment
Oct 18, 2021
PA
I think the hairstyles changed. Those last two look like pictures from the same era!

First two pictures...my first thought was that a general's most important quality is brainpower...not sure they do anything requiring brawn or physical action for the most part.

No doubt though that the third picture in your series is the one I like most though! (y) to that one! 😁
I thought you might like the 4th lol

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME

My wife and I are trying to do the positive things but also do some things to pass freedom on to our grandchildren.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What topic will catch Henro's attention next? The Supreme Court?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That other thread fortunately was locked and no argument here...

But as usual, you seem to miss the point; OR perhaps as usual, I seem to miss making mine!

LOL...
No, you missed my point. And honestly I would have been surprised of you did get it.

You won't be here on earth very long so you see no reason to care what happens to the people left.

Same with the let em die thread, someone did not do what you want them to do, so you thought they should be denied care and left to die.