Shop/Shed 30x60

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I tend to drag things out, so I didn't start this thread 'til now since then the time pressure begins. But, it's progressing and I've made mention a couple of times, so I'm starting this thread.

I inherited ~70ac of north Miss hill country 3 years ago. Its all wooded, mostly 7 yo loblolly pine on top and old-growth hardwood downhill. There's a year-round stream across it that I built a bridge across to access the back side. I bought Katy, an L35, for general clean-up use and I need to get her out of my sister's shed and have space of my own.

I picked a spot close to and parallel with the power line that serves the area. So I can get power installed cheaply, and it's accessible. Unfortunately, it was harvested and replanted about 7 years ago, so it had a thick stand of pine and weed sweetgums ranging 1 to 6 inches, as well as a half dozen pine stumps 24 - 30". Katy and I pulled, dug, cut and hauled trees and vines for a while, a real bonding opportunity, to make an 80x100' clearing.

(I'm reposting these pictures for completeness)
Shortly after Katy and I began
IMG_20221005_163348674.jpg

Almost finished

IMG_20230509_183808550.jpg

(In case you're wondering, those tall trees in the background are a patch that were thinned during the harvest, they're about 25 years old.)

Toward the end, I discovered that the ground on top of this hill is not red clay but yellowish loess about 6 ft thick. There's a narrow band on the east side of the Mississippi delta. Also, previous owners apparently created some terraces for farming. You can sort of make out one on the left side of the second picture. There will be a 1 - 2' drop behind the shed.

I finally arrived at a 30x60 size. 30' gives reasonable size wood trusses and is the depth of my sister's shed, which has worked well. I thought I would have space for longer, but 60' fits and will be plenty.

I'm planning a stick frame with wood trusses on 4' centers. 10' walls, LP SmartSide sheet siding, metal roof.

After phone dancing with the local concrete guru for a few days, he came out yesterday, looked it over, gave me a price and I said ok. He said he'd probably start today or Saturday. I thought, we'll see. It rained last night and there was no sign of him this morning about 9, so I assumed a rain-out. It showered most of the day, but when I came back from town around 4, I met him on the highway. I checked again and he had dropped off form boards and had stakes and string laid out. I don't know if he'll be able to work tomorrow.

But I'm committed now so I've started this thread. Just don't expect progress at breakneck speed. 🐌

Reactions: 17 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Looking forward to updates

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice.....
suggestion, if possible go higher, 12'' walls, which allows for a 10' high door. Yes some added cost, but you can also run 'windows' along the top for 'free' light during the day. It also means you can put in a mezzanine,later on for more storage since we all know 'it shouldhave been bigger'......

Reactions: 8 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I tend to drag things out, so I didn't start this thread 'til now since then the time pressure begins. But, it's progressing and I've made mention a couple of times, so I'm starting this thread.

I inherited ~70ac of north Miss hill country 3 years ago. Its all wooded, mostly 7 yo loblolly pine on top and old-growth hardwood downhill. There's a year-round stream across it that I built a bridge across to access the back side. I bought Katy, an L35, for general clean-up use and I need to get her out of my sister's shed and have space of my own.

I picked a spot close to and parallel with the power line that serves the area. So I can get power installed cheaply, and it's accessible. Unfortunately, it was harvested and replanted about 7 years ago, so it had a thick stand of pine and weed sweetgums ranging 1 to 6 inches, as well as a half dozen pine stumps 24 - 30". Katy and I pulled, dug, cut and hauled trees and vines for a while, a real bonding opportunity, to make an 80x100' clearing.

(I'm reposting these pictures for completeness)
Shortly after Katy and I began
View attachment 102370
Almost finished

View attachment 102369
(In case you're wondering, those tall trees in the background are a patch that were thinned during the harvest, they're about 25 years old.)

Toward the end, I discovered that the ground on top of this hill is not red clay but yellowish loess about 6 ft thick. There's a narrow band on the east side of the Mississippi delta. Also, previous owners apparently created some terraces for farming. You can sort of make out one on the left side of the second picture. There will be a 1 - 2' drop behind the shed.

I finally arrived at a 30x60 size. 30' gives reasonable size wood trusses and is the depth of my sister's shed, which has worked well. I thought I would have space for longer, but 60' fits and will be plenty.

I'm planning a stick frame with wood trusses on 4' centers. 10' walls, LP SmartSide sheet siding, metal roof.

After phone dancing with the local concrete guru for a few days, he came out yesterday, looked it over, gave me a price and I said ok. He said he'd probably start today or Saturday. I thought, we'll see. It rained last night and there was no sign of him this morning about 9, so I assumed a rain-out. It showered most of the day, but when I came back from town around 4, I met him on the highway. I checked again and he had dropped off form boards and had stakes and string laid out. I don't know if he'll be able to work tomorrow.

But I'm committed now so I've started this thread. Just don't expect progress at breakneck speed. 🐌
I am clearing for a building as well. I just have 2 very large Elm trees & a chicken coop to remove. Please post pics with the progress. I hope your project moves along smoothly.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Awesome! And your bridge is cool too! I still need to get two structures up and if I get one of them done this year I'll be happy. :cautious:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I am clearing for a building as well. I just have 2 very large Elm trees & a chicken coop to remove. Please post pics with the progress. I hope your project moves along smoothly.
My last 'stump' wasn't. I was marveling at how smooth it was. When I (well, Katy) wrestled it out the bottom was flat. I looked up and saw it was in perfect alignment with the power line. It was the bottom 5' of a pole the electric company cut off 30 years ago when they rerouted the line. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
That's a nice property. Looking forward to seeing the new build come together.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My last 'stump' wasn't. I was marveling at how smooth it was. When I (well, Katy) wrestled it out the bottom was flat. I looked up and saw it was in perfect alignment with the power line. It was the bottom 5' of a pole the electric company cut off 30 years ago when they rerouted the line. :rolleyes:
I'm really looking forward to following this build and seeing the progress. I really enjoyed a similar build that @ken erickson had done at his place. It's motivating for sure.

It looks like you don't have much in the way of rocks to deal with. I really envy those of you on properties without rocks. They're a constant problem for me. 😖

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm really looking forward to following this build and seeing the progress. I really enjoyed a similar build that @ken erickson had done at his place. It's motivating for sure.

It looks like you don't have much in the way of rocks to deal with. I really envy those of you on properties without rocks. They're a constant problem for me. 😖
Now that I've started this post, my motivation is stronger.

No rocks. There's not a gravel pit in the county, makes gravel pretty expensive. The original settlers out here really had to scrounge to find a few sand rocks to put their logs on. I did find a geonode several years ago.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Mon 5/15 - form and fill. Plan to pour Wed
Tue 5/16 - rough in plumbing, place plastic sheet and mesh between showers. Wed pour is out, maybe Fri.
Wed 5/17 - showers much of the day.
Thur 5/18 - cloudy early and scattered showers, but missed us.
Fri 5/19 - ? Looks iffy to me to get trucks in and out, but I'm not making the call.
IMG_20230518_111846631.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Mon 5/15 - form and fill. Plan to pour Wed
Tue 5/16 - rough in plumbing, place plastic sheet and mesh between showers. Wed pour is out, maybe Fri.
Wed 5/17 - showers much of the day.
Thur 5/18 - cloudy early and scattered showers, but missed us.
Fri 5/19 - ? Looks iffy to me to get trucks in and out, but I'm not making the call.
View attachment 102855
Rough in plumbing is for a potty, or just usable water and drain?
I HIGHLY recommend a potty, if you haven't planned for one! If you haven't done the septic tank yet, just stub out for one later. You'll be glad you did, if that's not already the plan.

I have a lot of stuff in my shop, but nothing is more valuable or useful than this,
Toilet.jpg

I agree with taller walls. A 10' door is so much better to deal with. Most stuff can just drive in and not worry about overhead stuff hitting.

Congrats on starting the build!! Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Rough in plumbing is for a potty, or just usable water and drain?
I HIGHLY recommend a potty, if you haven't planned for one! If you haven't done the septic tank yet, just stub out for one later. You'll be glad you did, if that's not already the plan.

I have a lot of stuff in my shop, but nothing is more valuable or useful than this,
View attachment 102890

I agree with taller walls. A 10' door is so much better to deal with. Most stuff can just drive in and not worry about overhead stuff hitting.

Congrats on starting the build!! Exciting times ahead.
Roughed in 4" vent and commode in one corner and ran some left over 1-1/2" PEX as a conduit to run water supply. I may never use it, but it's there.

They did pour today and it seems to have gone without a hitch.

I'm about 90% on 10' studs. We've been using a 10' 30x50 for years and it's been ok. A rolling barn door will still be 9'.

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Roughed in 4" vent and commode in one corner and ran some left over 1-1/2" PEX as a conduit to run water supply. I may never use it, but it's there.

I'm about 90% on 10' studs. We've been using a 10' 30x50 for years and it's been ok. A rolling barn door will still be 9'.
Good job!
You'll be glad at some point.

Just my experience, I always end up needing something bigger. Story of my life. It's understandable, though, to stick with what works, planned, and in budget.

Still excited for you! Congrats and have fun. If we were closer, I'd offer you my bucket truck (and scissor lift if you are brave).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Good progress. I really enjoy seeing these kinds of projects from start to finish.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
5/26 - first day of framing. I started by myself, then my BIL helped raise the first 2 frames. My nephew helped nail 2 more frames and raise them. I'm using 10' 2x4s to get a little extra height. But I didn't realize they're cut long, so I'm having to check each one and trim a few.
IMG_20230527_092913344.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
5/27 - second day of framing. Wasn't too productive, feeling yesterday and old age. With BILs and Katy's help, made and raised 3 frames.
IMG_20230527_165941440.jpg