Scam- Buyer Beware

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Ran across am M7040 on Craigslist Youngstown Ohio for $15738. Had 414 hours , cab, really nice shape. It was a divorce, she(or perhaps a he) got the tractor, and wanted to sell it right away. She sent me pictures of the tractor and one of them was the serial number. Turns out it was sold on ebay last month for 35K. All the pictures were copied from Ebay along with most of the description. Of course, there was a story for every question I asked. I passed on the the great deal. I know craiglist has scammers but I guess you really have to be careful. Nice looking tractor though.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's a pretty common tactic on Craigslist. There are several that keep floating around with the same picture's with a phone number embedded into the picture. Those are scams as well. If the price seems too good to be true, then chances are its a scam.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My favorite line when communicating via email or over the phone when I suspect something shady is to.

Say hey my shift ends at 5:00 and I can meet you shortly after as my job allows me to range over a large area. Be on the lookout for a Highway Patrol car it is marked and we can conduct business. Hope to hear from you soon to work out location details.

Never fails communication stops.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For some reason those fools always list the selling price is odd numbers. That's the first clue, second they always have an e-mail address for contact information, and often the description doesn't exactly fit the item.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
When I was looking for an ATV I ran into all kinds of these on CL. Most were husband killed in Iraq and it was always stored in Las Vegas. I played along on one and said I would be in Vegas and wanted to look at it, communication came to a screeching halt.
Good news is I did find a couple of ATVs from CL locally, one had 300 hrs and one 180 hrs, both at good prices and I snatched them up. Shame people/scammers have to mess up a good thing like Craigs List.

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Forgive my lack of understanding, but how do these scammers make money on fake tractors and such. I hear about these scams but would anyone really send money without looking at the item?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
When I was looking for a tractor I had this email exchange over a CL ad...

Me: What's the story on this tractor?
Him: I'm in the service and about to be deployed, tractor is in storage at the base, need to sell it.
Me: What base is it at?
Him: xyz base (in Pacific NE)
Me: What a coincidence, I live 20 miles south of there, when can I come see it?
Him: It's in base storage, only base personnel are allowed.
Me: No problem, my buddy works there. Tell me how to locate it and he'll check it out for me.
Him: (crickets)

If you think something might be suspicious, try doing a Google image search with the CL ad photos. You may find they've been lifted from someone's site.

-- Carl

Ted1

Sep 14, 2017
Pa
Forgive my lack of understanding, but how do these scammers make money on fake tractors and such. I hear about these scams but would anyone really send money without looking at the item?
In this case when I had mentioned the Ebay listing she said the buyer couldn't get the money. So she now wanted to do the transaction through Ebay Escrow services. Ebay would ship the tractor for "FREE" I could try it for a week before she would get any of my money so that Ebay would now that I am happy with it. All I had to do was send her/him by name, address and telephone number and they would send me the electronic paperwork. The tractor is now in the state of IN and packaged for shipment(not sure how you package a tractor, maybe a large box?)
Why do people do it? You always here of great deals people got on things and there is always that hope, I guess, that you found the deal of a lifetime.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I am sure there are a variety of ways these scammers try to get your money. I heard of one guy that was trying to buy a rare car on Ebay and to "secure" the car he sent the scammers several thousand dollars. He was desperate to get the car so let his guard down and lost his money. What I hate is when they use the military in some fashion to play on your sympathies, makes those of us with soft hearts be on guard all the time. Friend of mine was selling a pool table for $400, had an inquiry from Virginia which is 2000 miles away. Why would they scam for a $400 pool table? They didn't want the table they wanted her info. Luckily she had some friends that intervened early on, she is one of the gullible. To her everybody is good which is not the case in the real world.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The first tell is the price- besides being too low, no legitimate seller sets such a unique price. Craigslist is full of scams. I go through all of the farm and garden regions for VA, daily, and I flag/delete them. I have marked over 3000 ads, and I've learned what to watch for. I've seen that same tractor in VA ads.
If it's too good to be true, it is.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Looking to hire a hacker/ private investigator to hack your spouses cellphone or email and other blackhat services
spam link removed .../URL] Sent f...ed) MODERATOR NOTE: Spam link above removed

Last edited by a moderator:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The first tell is the price- besides being too low, no legitimate seller sets such a unique price. Craigslist is full of scams. I go through all of the farm and garden regions for VA, daily, and I flag/delete them. I have marked over 3000 ads, and I've learned what to watch for. I've seen that same tractor in VA ads.
If it's too good to be true, it is.
I am with ya Mark - I havent marked that many adds, but have marked a couple of hundred - the GMAIL pasted on the photo is usually a clue too.

Like email KATHY.JOHNSON@GMAIL.com......is a quick clue, and of course the $2700 asking price for a $27,000 machine is another!:D;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've reported a bunch of those scam pages on Craig's List. Didn't do much good except removing them from showing up on my device. When I check Craigslist with another device/ computer, those scam pages are still there.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I've reported a bunch of those scam pages on Craig's List. Didn't do much good except removing them from showing up on my device. When I check Craigslist with another device/ computer, those scam pages are still there.
It takes a few people to report for the ad to be taken down. Keep at it!

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Boy if I ever win the lottery for a big amount, I am gonna have such fun as I start to sell my lower level stuff in favor of bigger things!

BX 25 tractor for sale, 400 hours, lots of attachments and hardcab, $1 cash only! It's in a storage unit at this zip code!

I actually sold my old ford LGT tractor with cab and snowblower on CL when I got my BX setup. I just needed it out of the garage so I listed it for a low price on CL, lots of pictures and a Vid. I listed it a little too low and was like 100 people that wanted it. I went in order and the first guy (one of the businesses at an airport) bought it right away. Had to take the add down. But I emailed the first 5 buyers past the airport people just in case the deal fell through.

After that I mostly emailed everyone else sorry it's sold. As I weeded through the emails, I could see the scammers on buying stuff too. We will give you XXXX for the tractor and more to ship it to us. You can keep the extra money, we will pay by check and have a shipping company come pick it up. Ummm yeah no, why would you pay $4,000 more then I am asking for? Bad checks all around

So not just scam sellers, but also scam buyers out there - watch out

jimmyj321

Equipment
M6060 tractor, Kubota bushhog
Nov 1, 2017
Hazlehurst, MS
Have had good luck selling on Craigslist. Try to stay local. Meet the individual eye to eye. Meet during banking hours. Only accept cash and if you have any questions about a cash transaction, take the money to the bank and let them check it out. If it is very much money involved, wear your pistol or have someone with you as backup with their pistol in a public place. I have sold several items from my home. In other words be familiar with your surroundings and be prepared. It is a crazy world we live in!!