Roundabouts

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The only experience I have with a roundabout was a couple or six years ago at NAS North Island. It was a 2 lane roundabout that was basically a combination of chicken and figure 8 race to get to the exit you needed. Who was gonna be the first to let off?

The basic rules are actually pretty simple, and really should not even need to be spelled out:

1. Vehicles in the roundabout have the right of way.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
There is always the moment of panic when there are 2 entering lanes, and I don't know which lane will let me exit where I want.
Okay. So, if you are turning right, or going straight you use the right (outside lane). If you are turning left you use the left (inside lane).

This way any car turning right or going straight is already our of the round about when you need to get over to turn left.

Thinking of that scene in European Vacation with Chevy Chase driving in circles for hours.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Okay. So, if you are turning right, or going straight you use the right (outside lane). If you are turning left you use the left (inside lane).

This way any car turning right or going straight is already our of the round about when you need to get over to turn left.

Thinking of that scene in European Vacation with Chevy Chase driving in circles for hours.
Right, but you also have to contend with the people who are getting into the roundabout from those other two directions. If the roundabout is big enough it's not really a problem merging to the outside lane in order to turn, or, in situations of large highways or similar, both inside and outside lanes have an opportunity to turn out... But small roundabouts, they can't expect you to get into the inside lane then back out to the outside lane before you're going around again.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If they work so well in Europe, let them stay there

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Except there are some where you want to go straight but there is a street to get off at 90 deg, and without warning, the right lane turns into a must turn right exit only lane. If you aren't in the left lane to start, you are toast, or at least making an interesting detour. I'm ok when I've been there before. One highway has 2, one with that gotcha and the other not. I'm never sure which is which since i don't go that way often.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The ones around here are single lane. If you kept going left you'd never get off the circle! You have to exit to the right to get off.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The ones around here are single lane. If you kept going left you'd never get off the circle! You have to exit to the right to get off.
That's why they are sometimes referred to as drift tracks. With even the slightest amount of moisture on the road, the miata can quietly drift in peace until the next vehicle arrives ;)

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
If they work so well in Europe, let them stay there
Thankfully we didn't take that attitude with say..... microscope, telescope, AC motor, etc. on and on.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I hate them where I am unfamiliar with how a particular one is constructed, and each is different around here. There is always the moment of panic when there are 2 entering lanes, and I don't know which lane will let me exit where I want.
Right lane turns right, or continues to the equivalent of straight through unless it has a separate right turn lane. Then right lane goes straight, turn lane is for right turn only.

Left lane is the equivalent of straight through, left turn, or u turn. 👈👉👇👆🤞🤞🤞

If entering from a side street, right lane exits right or goes straight, or can go the equivalent of left on one of the traffic circles. Two right turn only lanes, and a left turn lane. The far right turn lane is for entering the on rank for the interstate west bound.

Middle lane is right turn only onto the main road.

left lane is for just turning left.

At least that's the directions for the two roundabouts of death that link together in town.

And I didn't account for the exit ramp from the interstate that enters the roundabout either. Right lane is right turn only. Left lane is right turn, straight, or left turn.

Yup, our city planners need a good kick in the privates 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

• Haha

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
In EuroTruck Simulator 2 I drive straight through those things. My loads consistently arrive a day early.