Rip Off!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes and here, north of the 49th, Amazon.ca sells ,er, OFFERS them for $40 CDN + s+h....
While my $1store 'kitchen strainer ' needed a minor trim of the 'ring', it's worked very well for 3 years(>650 hrs.)

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Kind of odd the seller has 100% positive feedback, but I’m far from an expert on the machinations of eBay so maybe there’s a trick to selling a $12 coffee filter for $28.95 + $4.00 shipping and getting no negative feedback.

I don’t have a BX (yet, may be looking for one for my wife in the next few months) so maybe not directly applicable to me. More a question of how an eBay seller sells some sort of crap and has such high ratings. If I was looking at that eBay posting and saw the feedback I would have a reasonably high degree of confidence buying. That’s a little concerning.

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
Kind of odd the seller has 100% positive feedback, but I’m far from an expert on the machinations of eBay so maybe there’s a trick to selling a $12 coffee filter for $28.95 + $4.00 shipping and getting no negative feedback.

I don’t have a BX (yet, may be looking for one for my wife in the next few months) so maybe not directly applicable to me. More a question of how an eBay seller sells some sort of crap and has such high ratings. If I was looking at that eBay posting and saw the feedback I would have a reasonably high degree of confidence buying. That’s a little concerning.

Mason jars for sale. my b7800 seems to need a small mouth not the popular large mouth

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

You know ....... I don't see it as a rip off, nor would YOU if you were not a member here.

I paid $85 bucks for a custom made one - it is superior to the coffee filter, but ........ I really did not care about the front end expense, I would worried about the @#$#@#@ tank removal when everything went south!

Now ..... did I buy a $8 filter from Amazon? You betcha I did ............... so THIS guy buys a couple of these, sells them for a profit - hell, he might be cheap when looking at the big picture! True he has to order them from amazon, then take orders from Ebay, then package them and then PAY ebay their fee and then travel to the post office to ship them.......... now maybe he has a drop shipment method.

Hell - it is the "american way" - making a buck !!!

Reactions: 5 users

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
You know ....... I don't see it as a rip off, nor would YOU if you were not a member here.

I paid $85 bucks for a custom made one - it is superior to the coffee filter, but ........ I really did not care about the front end expense, I would worried about the @#$#@#@ tank removal when everything went south!

Now ..... did I buy a $8 filter from Amazon? You betcha I did ............... so THIS guy buys a couple of these, sells them for a profit - hell, he might be cheap when looking at the big picture! True he has to order them from amazon, then take orders from Ebay, then package them and then PAY ebay their fee and then travel to the post office to ship them.......... now maybe he has a drop shipment method.

Hell - it is the "american way" - making a buck !!!
I always use a Mr Funnel that removes water a fine debree

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Many eBay sellers go on the assumption that the buyers don't have a clue as to what something should sell for, and hence they just throw out high prices and hope to catch someone. Since eBay has removed the listing fees, they are now getting a lot of bottom-feeder sellers, that are selling a lot of crap at high prices. There was an HP ink cartridge on eBay for a ridiculously high price or "make an offer". I made 4 offers and then asked the seller what the minimum price was that he would accept. He came back with his original selling price. His was 5 years out of date (it really doesn't matter, because they still will work in the printer) and it was higher priced than a current date ink cartridge if I were to buy it at a retail store such as Walmart or Staples. I used to buy a lot of "bargains" on eBay, but not so much any longer. In fact, I no longer sell on eBay because all of their policies favor the buyer and offer no protection to the seller. If the buyer is unhappy with the purchase, then all they have to do is to complain to eBay and eBay will refund their money, many times, they don't have to return the item unless the seller pays for the return shipping. You still have to pay the sales commissions to eBay, and the shipping both ways if you want the item back.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
🤣
I'm more impressed by the $30 "light bar brackets" that he's selling which are no more than a couple of dollars worth of hardware at the local store.
Buyer beware.
:geek:
Seriously, I don't know about you, but I really could not sleep at night unless I made an honest living.
I mean I get the profit/markup thing as I am in small business, but that's just stupid.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I knew I saw that thing before! It's a copy of the BRUW cold coffee filter. Like they say "as seen in TV"- Shark Tank had the inventor on the show.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
.... he has to order them from amazon, then take orders from Ebay, then package them and then PAY ebay their fee and then travel to the post office ....
I may have dealt with this guy. Years ago, I bought a pan on eBay. Several days later, a package was delivered from Amazon. I was really confused until I figured out what was going on.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

I mean I get the profit/markup thing as I am in small business, but that's just stupid.

Not stupid,on his side of the counter, it's the customers who are ! Anyone dealing in e-commerce can lookup, search,scan, whatever for any item and get a zillion 'hits'. One problem is people believe that eBay and Amazon are the BEST deals on the web or the ONLY place to shop.

As for the profit margin, when I worked 3 Ratshacks I sold hundreds of a certain 1/4" phone jack even though there were 3 or 4 others. The reason...profit margin. It was 5x better than any of the others. Client got a good product, store (and me) made more money At the end of the day, you need to more than cover all your operating costs to show a profit..

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
No one here knows who this guy is?? He used to make the pedal adapter for the BX series...

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
re:

Not stupid,on his side of the counter, it's the customers who are ! Anyone dealing in e-commerce can lookup, search,scan, whatever for any item and get a zillion 'hits'. One problem is people believe that eBay and Amazon are the BEST deals on the web or the ONLY place to shop.

As for the profit margin, when I worked 3 Ratshacks I sold hundreds of a certain 1/4" phone jack even though there were 3 or 4 others. The reason...profit margin. It was 5x better than any of the others. Client got a good product, store (and me) made more money At the end of the day, you need to more than cover all your operating costs to show a profit..
I guess you're right.

Stupid should hurt. 🤣

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
“There’s A sucker born every minute”….is a phrase oft attributed to various people (not always P.T. Barnum)

One reason 100% satisfaction may exist may be due to a reluctance on the part of the purchaser to ridicule one’s own choice. Possibly due to one’s own unfamiliarity of the product.

But it’s NOT a “Rip Off” if it does what you wanted it to do when you decided the price was appropriate.”

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
No one here knows who this guy is?? He used to make the pedal adapter for the BX series...

I've helped install two of his "Inner/Outer Tie Rod Boots" kits on a neighbor's and brother's BX. The kit was an easy install. The boots seemed to be of top quality. And the price was certainly cheaper than buying Kubota's kit that now has to include the whole tie rod assembly!!

If you only have a damaged boot.....these kits will certainly save you money.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
But it’s NOT a “Rip Off” if it does what you wanted it to do when you decided the price was appropriate.”
I‘m with GeoHorn.

IF the item performs like it is represented to, it is not on the seller. It is on the buyer if over priced.

Thread title should have been “EXPENSIVE”, NOT “Rip off”. Only a rip off if the item is not as described.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Eh, while we are playing semantics....
The phrase is used to describe cheating, exploitation, forgery (like Fauxlex watches) and pricing something above its value.
There are examples all over the interwebs.

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY

I had one of those pedals. I ended up selling it because I didn't like how far my foot was bent back when trying to use it. I thought about trying to modify it, but am used to the front/back pedals...

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
and then travel to the post office to ship them..........
What if the seller actually lives inside the post offive? Or is a rail riding hobo that hand delivers all shipments with zero out of pocket fuel and labor surcharges?

Profits aplenty methinks.

• Haha

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Could be the seller is a member here? This is where I found out about the filter but the idea could have originated somewhere else?