Return to sump location on L47 for lane Shark

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I've scoured every source that I can find and I cannot find where the return to sump line (or access port) is on my L47. I want to buy a Lane Shark this spring, and would like to have all of my hydraulic ducks in a row before I put the money down on the unit.

Thank you in advance for your help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've scoured every source that I can find and I cannot find where the return to sump line (or access port) is on my L47. I want to buy a Lane Shark this spring, and would like to have all of my hydraulic ducks in a row before I put the money down on the unit.

I would think the backhoe return line is pretty easy access and has a lot of potential.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

I have never seen a hydraulic duck before. Is the Lane Shark to keep them going in a straight line, I mean lane? :ROFLMAO:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
might try 'search' here for other posts about the lame shark.... several have had 'installation problems'....1-2 years ago..

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

With nothing but the Kubota parts diagrams to go on the plumbing on the L47 is hard to decipher. Assuming you are going to power the Lane Shark off the loader power beyond the loader return looks pretty easy as well. A run tee added to the return elbow on the transmission would dump straight to tank.

Untitled.png

Do you understand the ramifications of inserting the Lane Shark in the supply circuit and then using a dedicated tank return?

Dan

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Would think the manufacturer would be the best resource to advise how best to install their product.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Would think the manufacturer would be the best resource to advise how best to install their product.
I guess you have not read the Lane Shark installation threads that abound. The Lane Shark is a lot like a 3pt log splitter. Its a generic fit for lots of different makes an models. The manufacturers knowledge of the tractor side systems is minimal at best and all they can really provide is generic hookup guidelines:

1. Use of a rear remote or third function outlet for the Lane Shark supply and return is not recommended
  2. Use our optional switch box and valve for the connection
  3. Connect the supply hose to the power beyond outlet on the loader valve
  4. Run a dedicated return line to the tank on the tractor

Dan

Last edited:

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
I guess you have not read the Lane Shark installation threads that abound. The Lane Shark is a lot like a 3pt log splitter. Its a generic fit for lots of different makes an models. The manufacturers knowledge of the tractor side systems is minimal at best and all they can really provide is generic hookup guidelines:

1. Use of a rear remote or third function outlet for the Lane Shark supply and return is not recommended
  2. Use our optional switch box and valve for the connection
  3. Connect the supply hose to the power beyond outlet on the loader valve
  4. Run a dedicated return line to the tank on the tractor

Dan
Dan,

Thank you. My tractor came with a third function already installed. I can use that to power the lane Shark and a dedicated return to the sump. It is my understanding that a toggle switch in tied into my Kubota third function switch (so that I have the valve constantly open) will serve the same function as the Lane Shark switch box for about $500 less.

Last edited:

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
With nothing but the Kubota parts diagrams to go on the plumbing on the L47 is hard to decipher. Assuming you are going to power the Lane Shark off the loader power beyond the loader return looks pretty easy as well. A run tee added to the return elbow on the transmission would dump straight to tank.

View attachment 119975
Do you understand the ramifications of inserting the Lane Shark in the supply circuit and then using a dedicated tank return?

Dan
Yes, that is exactly what I was planning to do. I just had difficulty finding the return to sump line or access port. Even Messicks was vague (by phone call) as to the location.

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
I must admit that I am at least partially responsible for not finding the return line. I'm about midway thru whatever case of chest snot that is plaguing the area. When I try to lay on a creeper to check which lines go where, I start to chuck a lung and the the wife starts to scream.

I knew that there was a direct return to sump port, but I just didn't know where.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan,

Thank you. My tractor came with a third function already installed. I can use that to power the lane Shark and a dedicated return to the sump. It is my understanding that a toggle switch in tied into my Kubota third function switch (so that I have the valve constantly open) will serve the same function as the Lane Shark switch box for about $500 less.
Unless they have changed tunes Lane Shark recommends agsinst that. There are far better options.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, that is exactly what I was planning to do. I just had difficulty finding the return to sump line or access port. Even Messicks was vague (by phone call) as to the location.
Just folloe the loader return to where it connects to the transmission. I can imagine thats easier said than done.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Do you have a link to that diagram that you posted?
Kubota USA online parts website.

Tractor here:

Loader here:

You can navigate around to all of the individual diagrams but its hard to fit them together into a complete picture...

Dan