Replacing Front Tires Only?

Swampcreek

Equipment
2013 BX25 TLB Piranha Tooth Bar, BXpanded Body Armor
Jan 31, 2017
Maryland
I have a new to me 2013 BX25 with 370 hours. The front tires need replaced being they're worn almost all the way on the outside edges, the back tires look fine with deep tread but I'm not sure how deep they were originally. I'm thinking about replacing the fronts only but I'm a little concerned that the new overall circumference of the new tires might conflict with the overall circumference of the original rear tires in 4WD. Any thoughts?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a new to me 2013 BX25 with 370 hours. The front tires need replaced being they're worn almost all the way on the outside edges, the back tires look fine with deep tread but I'm not sure how deep they were originally. I'm thinking about replacing the fronts only but I'm a little concerned that the new overall circumference of the new tires might conflict with the overall circumference of the original rear tires in 4WD. Any thoughts?
Were the tires worn from being in 4wd or just from turning on concrete and hard surfaces?

I would think if the fronts are that bad on the edges, you should replace AND check the alignment and see what is causing the extreme wear.

I would think you could replace front only, and make sure if in 4wd , make sure on a surface that can allow some slippage.

Swampcreek

Equipment
Jan 31, 2017
Maryland
The previous owner didn't know much about tractors, I think it might have been handed down to him from his parents. He lived in a neighborhood but a reverse lookup on his phone showed a small rural property near his home. I imagine he did a lot of snow plowing and probably drove a lot in 4WD and on paved roads. Thanks to this site and my buying of the Owner's manual and WSM I can confidently state I know a lot more than he did about this tractor which BTW is a completely different tractor than it was when I bought it (upgrades and maintenance).

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Which tires do you have?

Pat

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Ok, go to your local dealer and have them order a new set of R4's complete with new wheels mounted and ready to go. You would be surprised on the price for compared to tires only!

Just make sure they order and then call the division to specify left and right. When you order wholegoods tires you can't specify L and R:confused:

Pat

Swampcreek

Equipment
Jan 31, 2017
Maryland
Ok, go to your local dealer and have them order a new set of R4's complete with new wheels mounted and ready to go. You would be surprised on the price for compared to tires only!

Just make sure they order and then call the division to specify left and right. When you order wholegoods tires you can't specify L and R:confused:

Pat
I've read about this, what is wholegoods? On some old posts I saw numbers like $400 for the set for a BX, is that possible? Are these the same quality as OEM or are they OEM? Sorry for the basic questions but I'm new at this tractor stuff (but loving every minute of it)!!! :)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Wholegoods are sales items. You don't have to buy a whole set, you can buy one or a pair.

Parts is just that, replacement pieces.

Pat

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Wholegoods: Are items sold through the good folks that sale the tractors and not the parts counter. It seems strange to ask a sales person for tire/wheel, but this is how it works.

I had a dealer that if you went to the parts counter and asked for a tire and wheel already mounted they would charge for the individual tire, wheel, valve stem, mounting, etc... In other words there would be several line items to pay for. Walk across the showroom and ask a tractor sales person for tire/wheel assembly and you would pay for a single line item at considerable less $'s.

Not certain which tire size your tractor has, but here is the price for a BX2670 tire/wheel from 2014 wholegoods.

ABXR8717 F-TIRE 18X8.50-10 R4 IN STL BIAS BB 22 $68.00
ABXR8718 R-TIRE 26x12.00-12 R4 OTR Trac Master 48 $127.00

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
"I've read about this, what is wholegoods? On some old posts I saw numbers like $400 for the set for a BX, is that possible? Are these the same quality as OEM or are they OEM? Sorry for the basic questions but I'm new at this tractor stuff (but loving every minute of it)!!!"

OTR now has an online store front. You can buy just the tire!!! Danged good pricing!!!
And these are the same tires that came on my BX.

http://otrwheel.com

Last edited:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
It's the "nature of the beast" so to speak on mechanical front wheel drive tractors to wear out 3-4 fronts versus the rears. Usually the rears get little
wear as you've indicated and replacing both front tires now should not be any problem because the rears aren't showing significant wear. I always recommend too to replace them in pairs and save the best of the 2 coming off for a spare in case something happens you can get up and running quickly while waiting for a new tire coming in as some can be difficult to get as not every tire dealer stocks every size and type.
Al

mogyver

Equipment
B7100D
Jul 21, 2017
Stowe, VT
I ordered fronts by Carlisle from Simpletire, arrived in two days $135 delivered, another $20 to have them installed and my lag in the front went away in 4wd

Attachments

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
It's the "nature of the beast" so to speak on mechanical front wheel drive tractors to wear out 3-4 fronts versus the rears. Usually the rears get little
wear as you've indicated and replacing both front tires now should not be any problem because the rears aren't showing significant wear. I always recommend too to replace them in pairs and save the best of the 2 coming off for a spare in case something happens you can get up and running quickly while waiting for a new tire coming in as some can be difficult to get as not every tire dealer stocks every size and type.
Al
This is the only post you need. Covers it all quite well.