Replacement Wireless Router - Netgear

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Let's just get this out of the way......I'm an IT idiot.

I bought a new wireless router. Netgear AX6600/Model RAX70.

Have a Netgear R7000, but it's 6-8 years old.

The old one was setup as "ourlastnamenetwork". No passwords....we kinda live in the sticks.

Had the Netgear app on cell phone.

New one set up in nothing flat.

Problem was it set up as a new "Netgear20" network with the router's password.
Nothing else can "see" it, and I'm not smart enough to reset everything.

I wanted to just replace the new router in the place of the old one....is that possible?

Tried to fix it, but the app locked me out because I screwed up the password for a Netgear extender I have.

Ended up deleting the app because I was pissed, and had just enough beer in me...... 🍺 :oops:

I have a Netgear account on my laptop, but it doesn't seem to control anything like it used to.

I often wish I had a millenial around here again for tech-support. It's just mom and I now......then I take pause and realize what I'm thinking... :unsure:

I plugged the old router back in...we're back running.

My thinking is:

1. Beer and IT don't mix....maybe that's why you IT guys are the way you are.....;)
2. Following #1 - I may have skipped over a Network Name step, where I could overwrite the previous router with the same permissions?​
3. Should I reset the new router and try it all over again?​
4. Reinstall the App on my phone after the new router is activated?​
5. Wait until Thanksgiving 2022, when my SIL is here to fix it?​
6. There's a little gas left in the Stihl 046 Magnum....might cut that router clean?:)

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The router should have a reset button that will restore the factory settings, including the network name and default password.
Looks like it is just to the left of the yellow WAN port. Will probably need a paper clip to stick in the hole to do the reset.
I had to do that on a friend's router a couple of weeks ago after his granddaughter changed the network name and password and didn't write them down. Them she somehow deleted the auto-login and the Firefox browser on his laptop that had a shortcut to logon to the router.
Got it all sorted out, but everything is written down now and a copy on my phone.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Let's just get this out of the way......I'm an IT idiot.

I bought a new wireless router. Netgear AX6600/Model RAX70.

Have a Netgear R7000, but it's 6-8 years old.

The old one was setup as "ourlastnamenetwork". No passwords....we kinda live in the sticks.

Had the Netgear app on cell phone.

New one set up in nothing flat.

Problem was it set up as a new "Netgear20" network with the router's password.
Nothing else can "see" it, and I'm not smart enough to reset everything.

I wanted to just replace the new router in the place of the old one....is that possible?

Tried to fix it, but the app locked me out because I screwed up the password for a Netgear extender I have.

Ended up deleting the app because I was pissed, and had just enough beer in me...... 🍺 :oops:

I have a Netgear account on my laptop, but it doesn't seem to control anything like it used to.

I often wish I had a millenial around here again for tech-support. It's just mom and I now......then I take pause and realize what I'm thinking... :unsure:

I plugged the old router back in...we're back running.

My thinking is:

1. Beer and IT don't mix....maybe that's why you IT guys are the way you are.....;)
2. Following #1 - I may have skipped over a Network Name step, where I could overwrite the previous router with the same permissions?​
3. Should I reset the new router and try it all over again?​
4. Reinstall the App on my phone after the new router is activated?​
5. Wait until Thanksgiving 2022, when my SIL is here to fix it?​
6. There's a little gas left in the Stihl 046 Magnum....might cut that router clean?:)
The router has the password on the backside, and if you get into trouble, they have an 800 number to call for assistance. You can also call your IP provider and ask if they will help you. It isn't that difficult if you lay off the sauce for a day... LOL .. Happy New Year from the old codger.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Its best not to leave gas in that chainsaw over winter 🤣🤣🤣
That was exactly my thought at the time….😏

I just sharpened the chain….

Otherwise that new piece of plastic might have been in 250,000 very little pieces….🤬😡😠

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Connect an ethernet cable directly from your computer to your router (wired connection). Bring up the web browser on your computer. In the address line type in either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Hit enter. This should bring you up into the router's command mode. You can modify settings from here. If you mess it up you can always hit reset to go back to factory settings.

Reactions: 3 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
That was exactly my thought at the time….😏

I just sharpened the chain….

Otherwise that new piece of plastic might have been in 250,000 very little pieces….🤬😡😠
All good advice. Years ago I had a cell phone that pushed me close to the breaking point and then one day when driving home my wife called me and I could hear her fine but she couldn't hear me so I called her back and it was just the opposite, she could hear me but I couldn't hear her. When I pulled in the driveway I went straight to the garage, put the cell on the floor, grabbed the hammer and beat the piss out of it. It was a great since of satisfaction and I feel better to this day. :):):)

Take your time with the router and it should work out fine with the advice above and as always when in doubt go to Youtube and do a search for your router setup.

Also, have a great New Year and don't forget to give Ollie a scratch behind the ear and a pat on the head from another old dog. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
All good advice. Years ago I had a cell phone that pushed me close to the breaking point and then one day when driving home my wife called me and I could hear her fine but she couldn't hear me so I called her back and it was just the opposite, she could hear me but I couldn't hear her. When I pulled in the driveway I went straight to the garage, put the cell on the floor, grabbed the hammer and beat the piss out of it. It was a great since of satisfaction and I feel better to this day. :):):)
Sorry, gotta ask, did it turn out it was your phone that was the issue and not the wife's?

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Connect an ethernet cable directly from your computer to your router (wired connection). Bring up the web browser on your computer. In the address line type in either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Hit enter. This should bring you up into the router's command mode. You can modify settings from here. If you mess it up you can always hit reset to go back to factory settings.
That's how I recall it was done before....

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated!

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I actually had to replace my last router because I could NOT do this. My 2n1 Dell laptop does not HAVE an ethernet jack! You should have seen the fun I had when I first got it and tried to set up the wireless and it would not connect. Could not connect because the driver from Windows did not work with the newer wireless card from Dell. Talk about now WTF do I do moment!

I just happened to have a USB wireless card, but it needed the driver from the DVD, and guess what the new laptop ALSO did not have!! Got to love this latest and greatest technology.

Actually the Netgear App is pretty slick as it has a one time password feature in case you forget the password, or just to complicated to tap into a phone. They send you a text with a 6 digit code you enter that logs you in. My Wireless provider went down earlier this week and I could not get Internet, so was swapping out routers to find out if it was on my end. Well the actual outage was their end, but then after swapping out, it became on my ends as I swapped out the WAN with the LAN and could not get connected. DOH.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not an IT idiot. :) I did work years for a major network hardware company for years before I retired, so I guess I cheat. Any way ….

The newer Netgear routers and mesh systems try to make it easy. You can screw it up but don’t worry. You can change settings and try again as many times as you want.

The default settings for SSID name and pwd are on the bottom label on the router, and they now include a somewhat unique pwd. You can change it to your Routers old name and pwd if you want. I did that at my home with my mesh system. However, I left it the default somewhat unique pwd for my MIL. That was easier than providing support later and besides, they didn’t remember their old router pwd and moved hundreds of miles from the old location.

Search for the model number and how to reset while you have a connection before trying again. Then, you should be fine. I do think it’s a good idea to keep the old one working until the new one is setup like you want. Again, you can try over and over. It’s fine.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Looks like you got some very good advice and hopefully it works well for years. IF not

7. My wood boiler has power to it for the outside light, blower and circulator, then it seems they thought ahead and included some kind of 16" x 16" multi-port that provides a hot connection for many devices that purges the problems out of them without out being brand sensitive either.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

Take your time with the router and it should work out fine with the advice above and as always when in doubt go to Youtube and do a search for your router setup.

Also, have a great New Year and don't forget to give Ollie a scratch behind the ear and a pat on the head from another old dog. ;)
I did a shooting to my phone answering machine when I was on call. It was a 24/7 operation and I was on call monday to monday every 5 week. They would call my home instead of the company cell and I would be out and drive all the way home to find a message needing to come back to town to work. They weren't paying for my landline so I took the machine out back and did it in. No more "tag your it" messages anymore.

Your phone beating story brought back my smile that day!

Bill