Replaced the broken headlights on my B5100 with LED work lights.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
The headlights on my B5100 were broken/not working when I got the tractor a few years back. I finally replaced them with 3.5" LED work lights from Amazon, mounted on a piece of 1/4" aluminum 1.5" x 11.75", which I fastened to the hood just about the radiator (see second photo).. These lights are really bright and pull the same current ( 18W) than the stock incandescent glow beams, but put out betwen 5 and 10 times as much light. They're enclosed in a solid waterproof (IP69) aluminum casing w/ stainless heardware, and the pair costs less than replacing one of the OEM originals. They're not road legal, but I don't run the tractor at night on the road.

There's just enough space around the lights (3/16" or so) to be able to adjust the aim, but w/ floods it's not really necessary. Now I need to design a grill guard to protect the lights and that doesn't get in the way of the hoses and when I open the hood. I had to straighten the sheet metal a bit as the headlight area had clearly taken a hit.

I still need to add some hazard flashers, a tail light and some reflectors to operate on the road legally in WA; a rear work light on the rops wouldn't hurt either.

- Bart

1644809300649.png

The center 3 bolts hold the aluminum plate against the the top orange flange of the hood; the outside
bolts are the mounting studs of the lights. Clearances are a bit tight in the this tractor. All self-locking hardware.

1644809340958.png

Reactions: 5 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I always install front facing LEDs on the Rops because the loader bucket blocks the regular headlights.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am curious about how you wired your new lights. Are they connected to the battery or are you using the original wiring for the headlights.

I ask because some, if not all early B's, ran the headlights off AC current direct from the dynamo before it was rectified to DC. Owners who installed new lights using the existing wiring found the LED's would not work.

Perhaps the design of the LED's has changed and they will tolerate AC.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Smells like spammage to me.

EDIT:

The above Spam post deleted, I assume by moderator. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Smells like spammage to me.
Ate spam in the distant past, but never smelled spammage!

My impression is the OP is just sharing something he did successfully.

He DOES have almost 40 posts here at OTT. Of course, I did not look at them...But still...

So without evidence, I give your post here a (n) Lil Foot.

• Dislike

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ate spam in the distant past, but never smelled spammage!

My impression is the OP is just sharing something he did successfully.

He DOES have almost 40 posts here at OTT. Of course, I did not look at them...But still...

So without evidence, I give your post here a (n) Lil Foot.
Bill was not referring to barts, the OP.

There was a post just prior to his that definitely appeared to be spam/bot, or whatever they're called. I think it also had a link in it IIRC, which is a red flag too.

It's since been deleted/disappeared.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Bill was not referring to barts, the OP.

There was a post just prior to his that definitely appeared to be spam/bot, or whatever they're called. I think it also had a link in it IIRC, which is a red flag too.

It's since been deleted/disappeared.
Absolutely correct!
The offending post WAS spam, and has since been deleted, I assume by the moderators.
Spambots seldom delete their own posts.

So, because you didn't even ask or attempt to find out my reasoning,
and without getting any evidence, I give your post here a (n)(n)(n) Henro

I would have edited or deleted my post once the offending post was gone, but, as my time is seldom my own these days, I did not get back to it before Henro got his panties in a bunch. Excuse me.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Henro-
My wife just pointed out that you are the first (and only) person to ever give me a dislike is 5960 posts.
Congrats.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Bart as you can see I also have a B5100 and still have the OE head light lens and backing and time to time went after looking for bulbs (LED) that will fit into the halogen socket (got close one time). It's only a single wire coming for the H-lamp area, which is like a lot of aftermarket fog lights. I have traced back behind dash area !#!$$ what a mess or should I say it maybe better to run fresh wires.
Your lights look good.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Absolutely correct!
The offending post WAS spam, and has since been deleted, I assume by the moderators.
Spambots seldom delete their own posts.

So, because you didn't even ask or attempt to find out my reasoning,
and without getting any evidence, I give your post here a (n)(n)(n) Henro

I would have edited or deleted my post once the offending post was gone, but, as my time is seldom my own these days, I did not get back to it before Henro got his panties in a bunch. Excuse me.
LOL...

How would anyone know what you were referring to if a post is deleted?

Here after, it might be wise if you quote the post you are replying to in your reply, so it is obvious what you are referring to. (Once in the past I regretted posting something, but could not retract it because it was quoted in following posts.)

Common sense really...

I will accept your (n) (n) LOL. BUT you have less reason for giving them, than I did, as you know the situation, whereas it was hidden from me by the moderator's actions apparently.

A better approach would probably have been for you to simply explain the situation, at which point I would have issued an apology for not understanding the big picture.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro-
My wife just pointed out that you are the first (and only) person to ever give me a dislike is 5960 posts.
Congrats.
I heard it said that nobody forgets the first time...LOL

All is good at my end...sorry for any discomfort caused at your end, but you probably can understand how this came about...shame on the moderator I guess...LOL

edit: The shame on the moderator comment was in jest. They have a tough job that we all certainly appreciate. Kudos on the moderator is more like it...

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have had similar situations in the past, as I have reported dozens (hundreds?) of spam posts, and usually the person who did not see the deleted spam post and did not understand asks something like "Hey, what's up with the spam comment?" or " I don't see any spam". Then myself or someone else can clarify the situation.
As I said, I would have done that if you hadn't jumped the gun without all the facts.
A better approach would probably have been for you to ask, or simply waited for a clarification from me.
Maybe send me a PM?
I wish I had the time to sit here and do nothing but monitor the forum 24 hrs/day, but my duties do not permit that.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
And to barts, I apologize for the unintended hijacking of your thread.
Nice work, and I can appreciate your efforts, as I replaced the headlights in my B7100, right before LED lights became readily available.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have had similar situations in the past, as I have reported dozens (hundreds?) of spam posts, and usually the person who did not see the deleted spam post and did not understand asks something like "Hey, what's up with the spam comment?" or " I don't see any spam". Then myself or someone else can clarify the situation.
As I said, I would have done that if you hadn't jumped the gun without all the facts.
A better approach would probably have been for you to ask, or simply waited for a clarification from me.
Maybe send me a PM?
I wish I had the time to sit here and do nothing but monitor the forum 24 hrs/day, but my duties do not permit that.
OK, I'm done with debating this. A PM should not be necessary if you post things clearly.

IF YOU HAD JUST QUOTED THE POST YOUR WERE REFERRING TO THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO CONFUSION.

Naturally, you seem to think it is always the other guy that is the problem.

Nuff said...bye bye...on this thread...probably...LOL

EDIT: I still think the OP's modification was great, and glad he posted it for others to refer to and take advantage of.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey Bill, I'm with you on the spam comment. I saw the apparent commercial and used the REPORT button to let the moderators it appeared to be spam. That was a few days ago. Just came back to this thread and see the confusion. Don't let a "dislike" be a negative. I appreciate your perspective on many things!!

Henro enjoys posting threads to pass his time about nearly anything not related to tractors. I think he sees himself as the forum sociologist. Maybe he is!

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Barts, thanks for your post. Can you add a photo of the inside the hood view? I am considering the same idea.

barts

Equipment
I am curious about how you wired your new lights. Are they connected to the battery or are you using the original wiring for the headlights.

I ask because some, if not all early B's, ran the headlights off AC current direct from the dynamo before it was rectified to DC. Owners who installed new lights using the existing wiring found the LED's would not work.

Perhaps the design of the LED's has changed and they will tolerate AC.

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Hi Dave -

I checked the wiring diagram when I replaced the regulator last year. The lights clearly work on DC - and they work w/ the tractor off (and the switch on, of course), so they're running on DC from the battery.

The owner's manual has the wiring diagram; here's a link: https://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInd...als/&file=B5100-B6100-B7100 Owners Manual.pdf

- Bart

barts

Equipment
Hi Barts, thanks for your post. Can you add a photo of the inside the hood view? I am considering the same idea.
Sure...

Here's a view w/ the hood tipped down, so you can see the loader pump. The lights are bolted to a 11.75" long x 1.5" wide piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, which is in turn bolted to the edge of the radiator hood opening. I was concerned it might be too flexible, but it's nice and stiff - no need for a brace.

I used the original wiring light switch; you can see the brown wire there. I'll add some adhesive zip tie clips when I pick up my wiring suppplies from CA soon. In the mean time, this works.

- Bart

1645323387933.png