Regen shouldn't be so confusing!

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
New to me Kubota L3560...do I need to push the auto regen button every time I start tractor to put it in that mode or does it do it automatically? If it's close should I just do a parked regen?
Thank you...I love this forum!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
New to me Kubota L3560...do I need to push the auto regen button every time I start tractor to put it in that mode or does it do it automatically? If it's close should I just do a parked regen?
Depends on the model you have. Try reading this, the pdf in the first post has got pictures of the buttons to help distinguish. If you have the older kind like mine you have to put it in auto regen every time, or at least when it is close.

You can’t do a parked regen until you have missed the first levels. Basically never if you are on the ball. You are not the first person to find the directions confusing.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...nts-calling-all-owners-of-new-tractors.27326/

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
Depends on the model you have. Try reading this, the pdf in the first post has got pictures of the buttons to help distinguish. If you have the older kind like mine you have to put it in auto regen every time, or at least when it is close.

You can’t do a parked regen until you have missed the first levels. Basically never if you are on the ball. You are not the first person to find the directions confusing.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...nts-calling-all-owners-of-new-tractors.27326/
Thank you Sheepfarmer...mine in a 2013 L3560

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
My 4060 is a 20 or 21, I dont remember.

I dont have to do anything in regards to a regen other than raise the throttle if it tells me to. I have buttons on the dash, but I dont touch them. I do have the meter on display on the dash and if Im getting close to 100%, I may alter what I'm doing so I can be in a position to utilize the tractor or park it while its doing a regen.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For those folks that don't have these tractors, a "parked regeneration" is a specific procedure, while auto regens can be done either while the tractor is working or standing still, i.e. parked.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
May well depend upon year of manufacture.

Some early models do not default to auto regen but I expect that your 3560 does.

My 2016 L6060 defaults to auto regen and I need do nothing upon start-up.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
May well depend upon year of manufacture.

Some early models do not default to auto regen but I expect that your 3560 does.

My 2016 L6060 defaults to auto regen and I need do nothing upon start-up.

SDT
I don't think so. My 2013 does not. You can tell by the appearance of the button.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
My 3560 is 2014 and I push the auto-regen button every start up. The dealer told me it burns off as you use the tractor but if you don't push it, the carbon builds up faster and doesn't burn off and you have to regen more often. The newer tractors automatically lights the auto-regen button. I asked if mine could be rewired to do that and he said no.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I was confused as well about the regen process when I got the tractor. The label on the tractor gives instructions to hit inhibit switch to allow regen. In this sense of the word, it means turn the inhibit switch off. No other explanation. The owners manual was not much help either. Parked Regen was not explained well in either the label or the manual. The manual managed to explain to call dealer if parked Regen failed. Some tractors have an auto Regen switch, but mine does not, but the manual mentioned it. Bottom lines:
1. You can't manually select parked Regen. The ecm determines if a parked Regen is necessary and you have to allow it.
2. When Regen is needed, just increase the rpm until the flashing Regen light goes out and let it do it's thing. It's inconvenient but important not to interrupt the process.
2. Since some fine fellows on this site educated me (or provided Jenglish translation), I have had no more troubles.

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
My 3560 is 2014 and I push the auto-regen button every start up. The dealer told me it burns off as you use the tractor but if you don't push it, the carbon builds up faster and doesn't burn off and you have to regen more often. The newer tractors automatically lights the auto-regen button. I asked if mine could be rewired to do that and he said no.
That's what my manual says to do as well...every time. I thought about waiting til my graph shows that I am getting close to an auto regen then start turning it on . Probably just get into the habit of hitting the switch to enable it every time...

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think (but can't prove) that your dealer might not be right about carbon building up faster if you haven't pushed the auto regen button. Passive regeneration, where carbon is burned off in the course of working the tractor, takes place fine in the inhibit regen mode. This can be seen in the display when the percent full bar graph decreases when the tractor is being worked hard.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
That's what my manual says to do as well...every time. I thought about waiting til my graph shows that I am getting close to an auto regen then start turning it on . Probably just get into the habit of hitting the switch to enable it every time...
That's what I do.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I think (but can't prove) that your dealer might not be right about carbon building up faster if you haven't pushed the auto regen button. Passive regeneration, where carbon is burned off in the course of working the tractor, takes place fine in the inhibit regen mode. This can be seen in the display when the percent full bar graph decreases when the tractor is being worked hard.
That is what he told me back when I purchased it. I always automatically push the button and watch the graph on the screen and as you say it burns off when working hard.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What's rediculous to me ,is that something as IMPORTANT as 'regen' / DPF/ Emmissions/whatever they call 'it' ,is NOT fully, automatically handled by the 'computer'. It is a SIMPLE task for a computer to perform.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What's rediculous to me ,is that something as IMPORTANT as 'regen' / DPF/ Emmissions/whatever they call 'it' ,is NOT fully, automatically handled by the 'computer'. It is a SIMPLE task for a computer to perform.
The only thing the computer can't do is assess whether the tractor is in a safe environment for regeneration to occur. Exhaust system gets hot, and for example hay chaff in a barn could be ignited. Hence the utility of the inhibit regen button.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re; The only thing the computer can't do is assess whether the tractor is in a safe environment for regeneration to occur.
reminds me of the 1/2million buck firetruck that was destroyed when the crew went to put out a grass fire.... cat convertors got hot( wonder why)... grass underneath truck went up...oopsy...
or the Ford truck burning down a house as it was in the attached garage when the brake switch ignited the brake fluid(real common.. BTW)

having a manual 'not now' makes sense but should be reset when tractor is shut off.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
re; The only thing the computer can't do is assess whether the tractor is in a safe environment for regeneration to occur.

having a manual 'not now' makes sense but should be reset when tractor is shut off.
That is the way the 2014 and up L tractors are. The first year tractors like mine are the reverse. The inhibit mode is reset after key off, and you have to permit auto if you think the conditions are safe. Keep in mind in the L series tractors, only the 60s have the bar graph that tells the operator a regen will be needed soon. The folks with 01 tractors are flying blind, and have to pay attention to their dash for the blinking light to indicate a regen is needed, and to up the rpm if needed. I suspect that is one reason dealers tell operators to run these tractors at high rpm all the time, too many people don't see the lights and don't know what the beeps mean and get into trouble. If it in auto regen mode it will take care of itself.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: The first year tractors like mine are the reverse.
Yup, sounds like 'engineering' at it's finest... You own both tractors and um,hmm, which one is regened how, sigh.......

re: you have to permit auto if you think the conditions are safe
Great ,another idiot 'engineered' feature. What is 'safe' ? How do you determine that ? How many things to consider ? Any subjective ? Is there a 'check list' of option on the screen ? Sure hope they didn't use fuzzy logic in the determination.

It's too bad those that designed the tractor never,ever USE them in the REAL World.

sigh, no , double sigh.