Regen shouldn't be so confusing!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
So I'll impart a bit of emissions history and some of the politics involved in how we got to more or less automatic systems that shouldn't require operator intervention. After tier 3 emissions it was fairly clear that a dpf and or def system would need to be used by many manufacturers.
There was a lot of political pandering from both sides, about safety, downtime, regeneration at bad times blah, blah, blah.
So the solution for many was to make the operator responsible for operating the system.
That was an epic fail. As seen by the many different controls in the earlier machines. Wasn't really the engineers per say, they were just doing what the consumers thought they wanted. The ability for the operator to control a system that was originally designed to be mostly automatic.
Very confusing times. Dealers didn't understand the systems, techs wernt fully trained yet, and the systems sucked to use.
It's much better now. We took most of the control away from the operator. System does its job, if it needs help it let's you know.
( honestly it's a bit more complicated then that, but you get my point.)

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Older machines with different systems may well be more difficult (certainly sounds like they are). As the owner/operator of a 2020 Tier 4 with 260 hours I can say with confidence at this point the regen process is not at all complicated on the newer machines, at least those that operate like mine. Regen process consists of a light on the dash, if flashing increase rpm until light on solid, back to normal when light out (about 15 minutes). You can defer for a few minutes by ignoring the light for a few minutes. You can defer until next time you run the machine by hitting the button to inhibit.

There are only two ways for the DPF system to be problematic: 1) operator error; 2) system failure. That’s also true for every other system on the tractor.

In the case of operator error running the DPF on the newer models, it would be near impossible to get into real problems, such as the dreaded derating and trip to dealer, accidentally. If the regen light is flashing it isn’t like it’s going to derate if you don’t notice it for 10 minutes; it’s just going to flash for 10 minutes until you notice it and increase rpm or push the inhibit button. If you do need to inhibit to put it off, well now you know it needs a regen so plan on that being part of the next time out with it. Repetitive inhibits is operator error. So far as not seeing the light, there are a lot of things on that dash panel: temp gauge, warning lights, etc. Really need to take a glance at that now and then anyway. There may be some legitimate circumstance where someone would inhibit repeatedly to the point of causing real issues but I can’t imagine what they would be other than operator error.

In regard to the system failing. It certainly is possible. Anything mechanical or electrical has the potential to fail. It’s the primary reason I don’t like it; just one more potential failure point/expensive down time risk. In practice they seem to be quite reliable these days and there doesn’t appear to be a viable alternative that truly mitigates that risk.

From what I’ve read of the process on some older machines, process improvement was needed. Based on the function of the newer machines, apparently manufacturers recognized that and addressed it.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The engineers should have cut code so only allow, say 3 , presses of the inhibit button and then force the DPF regen routine. The operator should not be allowed to keep pressing the button to defeat the regen process, which it sounds like it can happen.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Most people get along fine with the regen process. Over the years some folks that write in to the forum are employees, no access to a manual, it's a weekend and no one told them how it worked or they weren't listening, had no clue as to what the blinking lights or buzzers meant, and then there are a few with an attitude....my old tractor didn't need this and I'll be darned if I am going to do this.

No doubt some additional programming would help, but the one I would like the most is one that would allow me to run a regen cycle at a time of my choosing. Takes 10 minutes on my tractor, could run it in the middle of a work period. The dpf per cent full graph should be on all tractors, not just the 60 series and some others. Waiting for a blinking light is cruel and unusual punishment or waiting for contractions to start if you are pregnant. You never know if you have time to go to the store or not.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The engineers should have cut code so only allow, say 3 , presses of the inhibit button and then force the DPF regen routine. The operator should not be allowed to keep pressing the button to defeat the regen process, which it sounds like it can happen.
In a way they have. It isn’t exactly maximum button pushes but if you inhibit enough times for the soot to build up to some pre-determined level, it will have lights on the dash and an audible warning with some kind of beeper. At that point you have to run a parked regen. I haven’t gotten mine to that point so I haven’t actually done a parked regen. It looks like if you can follow instructions well enough to bake biscuits from a recipe you ought to be able to parked regen your tractor. If you try to keep running it past all that then you get into the derating of the engine and expensive dealer trip.

So if your tractor WON’T regen (as in its busted) then you have a real problem. If its working properly there are a lot of fences you have to intentionally jump before falling off the cliff.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so... do they have a 'busted light and horn' warning ? Not being 'silly' but from my education as an Avionics Tech, the real world 'status' of 'lights and buzzers' was ,well, kind important !
Something as important as regen, shouldn't be left in the hands of a human. Though i suspect NOT regnning can cost a LOT of money and downtime. Sure be a real bummer to have the tractor refuse to run due to 'no regen', need to replaced DPF and 'oopsy...none in stock, 12 week delivery, maybe'.