Regen problem L 3901 anyone ever have this?

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Have not driven " Big Orange"since July,rear ended by woman on cell phone,plates n screws in neck,out of work, can't drive. Go out to crank tractor 257.6 hrs,Flashing Regen light and Park Regen light both flashing,buzzer every 3 seconds,get and read manual. Follow Operating Procedure for Parked Regen. DPF Inhibit light/button is NOT ON. Step 7 says press t turn DPF light off? It ain't on! Step 8 says Parked Regen light/button START flashing, it ain't. Step 9 says Press Parked Regen button to start Regen,light will STOP flashing and remain CONSTANTLY on, NOT happening! Step 10 says engine rpm will automatically rise,and Regen will start. WTF. Doctor and wife say I can't drive. Technically I not driving ,just sitting on seat. Any thoughts about why Regen process is not going according to operaters manual? Nothing is happening like manual says. Last Regen was 4/24/19 at 238.2 hrs,all normal. Nothing to do except stress about this. Can anyone chime in about this? Should I not run tractor at all? Reading manual no help. Should I drive tractor and try normal Regen? Take Meds,drink cold beverage,go to bed. Can anyone other than Dealer help me with this. Thanks and good luck to all on your projects.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Did anyone drive tractor when you were recovering? It is odd that the tractor would suddenly jump to needing a parked regen when you start it.

The automatic switching of the lights and the beginning of a regen won't happen until the tractor is warmed up... may require more time.

Tractor appears to be in PM warning level 2-2. Manual claims you can switch to auto regeneration. You don't have to drive it, it can remain stationary, but you do have to run the rpm up.

Do you have the old style regeneration inhibit switch? Does yours have a diagonal slash through it?

If you can't get it to regen, don't drive it!

69 SS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
No one has driven,yes on parking brake, ran for .4 on hour meter,long enough to get to operating temp with only Regen indicator light in instrument panel,and theRPM light flashing,increased throttle till RPM indicator went out,then Parked Regen indicator light,buzzer started . Yes my Parked Regen switch has / on it. Like you can't understand why all this started at one time. You obviously have same manual,mine h 2013 printing date and tractor is 2015. Thanks for replying. Maybe some one else will have knowledge to share.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No one has driven,yes on parking brake, ran for .4 on hour meter,long enough to get to operating temp with only Regen indicator light in instrument panel,and theRPM light flashing,increased throttle till RPM indicator went out,then Parked Regen indicator light,buzzer started . Yes my Parked Regen switch has / on it. Like you can't understand why all this started at one time. You obviously have same manual,mine h 2013 printing date and tractor is 2015. Thanks for replying. Maybe some one else will have knowledge to share.
This is just a wild guess, but I would bet fuel contamination.

Also has the battery been charged?

Drain separator and fuel filter, look for slime, from sitting too long it could have water in fuel and or algae, if it does you'll need to drain the fuel and then treat the entire system with a Biocide / Algaecide in new fuel.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok, the plot thickens, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like you tried to do a normal auto regen when you first started the tractor with the regen light on, but it wouldn't start even after you increased rpm.

The parked regen lights and buzzer announce that a parked regen is possible if an auto regen is not successfully completed in 30 minutes after regen light comes on.

The button with the diagonal slash on it is the DPF Inhibit aka Regen Inhibit Switch, I think you misspoke above. In any case it should not be illuminated, and yes step 7 is about as clear as mud where it is, except if you have been running the tractor in DPF Inhibit mode, which it doesn't sound like you were.

As for why the auto regen wouldn't start when you first increased the rpm, some condition was not satisfied. Same with the Parked regen that you then tried. For parked regens the list of things to set are long, and some sensor is unhappy. For some other models, the range shift lever must also be in N.

Afraid if it won't start a regen for you, you will be ahead of the game if you get a dealer to identify the cause with diagmaster and force a regen. If you bought the tractor in 2015, it should still be under warranty.

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Like SF wrote, the tractor was/is in "warning level 2-2". - So only start a Parked Regeneration!

start engine
parkbrake light must be on!
lower the 3-point hitch
PTO must be OFF !!
shuttle shift lever must be in neutral
Put engine to idle

Don't care much about step 7. The "inhibit switch" just should not be illuminated, that's all

If all that is done and the engine is warm enough the switch for the parked regen should start flashing. (may need some minutes)
Now press this parked regen switch once. - It's light should stay on constantly. Then the regeneration starts.

Step 10 is wrong for most tractors: the rpms wont rise automatically!
So set engine rpm manually up to 2000-2100 rpm (only to start)

Now the parked regen switch and the regeneration controllamp in the cluster will illuminate constantly. They go off, when regen is finished.

After 2-5 Minutes try to lower the engine rpms by watching the controllamp for it. Should stay off. Mostly you can go down to 1600-1700 rpm.

Go for a coffee

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
A cold engine will not regenerate. It has to be hot. Bernhardline is correct on most points but I would suggest full throttle instead of just 2000-2100. Just push the lever all the way forward and let it eat. It will not hurt anything.

69 SS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
Wow, battery was kind of slow on initial start,knew tractor was going to be sitting for a while ,didn't know this long,treated with Sea Foambefore parked,fuel separator ring bout halfway up to line,trans was in neutral , I too am also skeptical about the sequence of the lit/unlit/flashing, DPF inhibit,Parked Regen switches. Per Doctors orders 10 lb weight lift restriction, he told wife this dammit, or I would change out fuel ,water separator, will put battery on charger. Mid 50's temp here in soggy wet SC,2nd wettest,warmest year since records begin no winter. Funny about th Parked Regen motor rpm not increasing. Just got up ,stayed up to late rereading manual too many times,COFFEE,breakfast and out tractor shed with manual. Won't drive tractor until Regen issue resolved. My reason for Rush is my buddy came and drove me 234 mile round trip to buys Taylor Way 410 7 ft set of disc harrows that is still sitting on trailer in yard. As much as it has been raining my trailer will sink into ground. THANKS to all who have replied,much to think about. Trying to avoid talking to dealer about this just in case this turns into dealer trip. Am unable to do much physical work ,vacuum cleaner kicks my a$$. Thanks to all and good luck on your projects.

69 SS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
OOH THAT SMELL...CANT YOU SMELL THAT SMELL....THE SMELL OF REGEN IS AROUND YOU....YEEEAAAH. For those to young to know,this is a song from the rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd from the 70's. Coffe ,breakfast,battery charger. Absolute text book example of Operating Procedure for Parked Regeneration. ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE!!! Everything went according manual procedures including automatic RPM increase/decrease. Not been a whole lot of joy in life since neck issues. But today so good made me almost want to ,well you know!!! Serious side, got new to me harrows unloaded, trailer unstuck, truck back on concrete driveway,didn't exceed 10lb weight restriction,what wife/Doctor don't know won't hurt them".Still need to do water separator thing. Looking back,should have got a clue when all instrument panel lights flashed/ went dim when trying to crank yesterday.
Key Takeway from lesson. Should have charged battery before trying start,tractor was sitting since July 24 2019.
My OCD lets me keep operators logbook,every time it is driven ,hours/what/where, etc written down. I'm not totally worthless, I can always serve as a bad example. Thanks to all and god luck to all on your projects.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yippee! I never thought a low battery would inhibit proper regen on this model. It does on a B3350, but that model needs current for a heater.

I was thinking like NIW that fuel contamination might be the root cause of your troubles. However I was concerned that launching into a fuel filter change and bleeding lines when it is calling for a regen might cause a separate set of problems.

If you have water in the separator, good chance for algae in the tank and fuel filter unless your Seafoam has an algicide in it. As soon as you can check that out!

Day must look a whole lot brighter now! Congrats on solving the problem, and thanks for posting solution.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent to hear!

I was leaning more to the fuel, but battery charge issue was my second go to! ;)

Love it when we can save a tractor and it's owner from the dreaded dealer visit! :D

Reactions: 1 user

69 SS

Equipment
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
260.7 on hour meter,wife went to see grandkids. 2 hours on "Big Orange" today grapple moving downed trees,change from Lienbach 6 ft rake to Sunshine Mfg 5 ft disc harrows,plow under power lines where tree trimmers made huge ruts ,driveway is half mile long and I use the power line cuts as food plots. I am truly blessed,been best day in a while. Thank you to all who replied. Prolly won't be able to move in am,Meds for sure tonight. Might even be up for water separator job,have fuel filter ,manual says 400 hrs change,see if son in law wants to do 10 gals diesel now would be good time. Any thoughts on cleaning/ disinfecting fuel tank? What to look for to let me know how far I need to go with cleaning? Thanks again and good luck to all on your projects

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Glad you had a nice day! We had sun and 45, pretty fabulous for Michigan. Spend some time resting your body with your manuals, and if you have a shop manual familiarize yourself with the fuel flow diagrams for your tractor. It is not like the old fashioned ones. The common rail injection pumps are fussy and expensive, so not a good idea to just jump in and assume they are like the old tractors.

See this thread for the 60 series tractors, but ours have split tanks, and I think yours is different.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35336

To start, empty and clean the water separator and change the fuel filter. Look closely for any black or brown stuff on either. If none visible, see if tank could be easily siphoned empty or nearly empty, and look for particles. If none, maybe just replace with clean fuel with a biocide added, and hope for the best. If you find junk it will depend on how much etc.

Just adding the algae dissolving biocides may put too much junk through to the injectors and the dpf filter. Or not. At least the issue requires some thought.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Excellent to hear!

I was leaning more to the fuel, but battery charge issue was my second go to! ;)

Love it when we can save a tractor and it's owner from the dreaded dealer visit! :D

I resemble that remark!!!!:D AND, we do have free coffee..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
260.7 on hour meter,wife went to see grandkids. 2 hours on "Big Orange" today grapple moving downed trees,change from Lienbach 6 ft rake to Sunshine Mfg 5 ft disc harrows,plow under power lines where tree trimmers made huge ruts ,driveway is half mile long and I use the power line cuts as food plots. I am truly blessed,been best day in a while. Thank you to all who replied. Prolly won't be able to move in am,Meds for sure tonight. Might even be up for water separator job,have fuel filter ,manual says 400 hrs change,see if son in law wants to do 10 gals diesel now would be good time. Any thoughts on cleaning/ disinfecting fuel tank? What to look for to let me know how far I need to go with cleaning? Thanks again and good luck to all on your projects
I use SOLTRON (not startron) you can get it a NAPA

Just drain the tank use it for something else non emissions equipped.

New fuel, and add Soltron, and walk away, that's all there is to it! ;)

I treat all my fuel with it and never have a fuel issue.

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Congrats. Glad to hear that it's running again! Must have been a wonderful morning:).

The low battery certainly wasn't the problem, because you could start and run the engine with this low battery before. So there must have been something else which wasn't correct. Maybe you remember if it happens again.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
I use SOLTRON (not startron) you can get it a NAPA

Just drain the tank use it for something else non emissions equipped.

New fuel, and add Soltron, and walk away, that's all there is to it! ;)

I treat all my fuel with it and never have a fuel issue.
Google searches dont give up too much info on soltron.loves "star tron" though...almost no links to marketing not even a link to NAPA... dang. Best kept secret