Regen on a new L4060 HSTC

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
Had about 39 hours on my new L4060 cab today. PM was up to 98%. I was out mowing my fields as normal. I was unsure if I would have to force it into regen or not but it did its own thing. Took all of 10 minutes and pm was back to 0%. This is the reason I only buy Kubotas. Just posting this so people won't be scared to buy new tractors. I was mowing at 2400 rpm which is my 540 pto speed. It automatically regenerated. Don't be scared guys.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I too have a 4060 hst, although not a Cab. I have about 52 hours on it as of last night and was at 74%. haven't regenned yet. but this makes me confident for sure.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Very similar regen here also. My L4060 went into its first regen at around 70h while mowing, and other than the dash light I didn't notice anything. It has been a struggle to not idle this thing like I would with previous tractors. Lately I have been setting the throttle lever at 1500 rpm for a minimum idle, then letting the auto throttle advance do its thing (other than pto work).

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I don't remember how many hrs. I had on my L3560 HSTC, but I remember it was in the winter and I was plowing my driveway and just took it out of auto-throttle and pushed the throttle lever all the way and kept clearing snow and it did it's thing while I did mine. Worked great, the only thing I don't understand is we have to push the auto-regen. button and it lights up. You think it would be automatically set to go on, and made so you can just turn it off when you don't want it on.

Cousin Eddie

Equipment
L4701HST, LP RCF2072 Rotary Cutter, LP RTA2072 Tiller, Diamond C 45HDT
Sep 14, 2016
Southeast Kansas
Worked great, the only thing I don't understand is we have to push the auto-regen. button and it lights up. You think it would be automatically set to go on, and made so you can just turn it off when you don't want it on.

It is like that on a new model. Its set on auto and you have to push the button if you dont want it to regen.

BigRed57

Equipment
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
It was in auto. Guess they are programmed that way now. I always have mine in auto throttle and it completed regen on its own. No buttons pushed at all. I was a lil worried about it but not now. I've heard the horror stories about these but just wanted y'all guys to feel safe. My only regret is not buying the tractor sooner.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I wonder if they can set my regen. button to come on when I start and I can turn it off if I don't want it to. If the new models come that way I don't see why they can't re-wire mine.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It was in auto. Guess they are programmed that way now. I always have mine in auto throttle and it completed regen on its own. No buttons pushed at all. I was a lil worried about it but not now. I've heard the horror stories about these but just wanted y'all guys to feel safe. My only regret is not buying the tractor sooner.
Be careful about letting it regenerate in auto throttle, if even it will start. If the rpm's drop below the threshold when you take your foot off the go pedal it will interrupt the regeneration. Interrupting it will get diesel in the oil. Or did you mean auto regeneration mode, a different button? Or do you already have the hand throttle set so high that it stays above that minimum rpm in autothrottle?

BigRed57

Equipment
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
Sheep farmer, I was referring that I had it in auto throttle but I had my rpm's up to 2400 rpm while mowing. I was defeating the purpose of auto throttle I know but I kept it up with the lever so it would regen if this makes sense.

dj2016

Equipment
Kubota L3130
Oct 2, 2016
Woodstock, Illinois
I'm interesting in buying a new L3560 or a L4060 with cab but the regen has me a little worried. I test drove a 3560 yesterday at my dealer and overall liked the tractor but was surprised to hear that you have to run it at higher rpm's even when your sitting still. The dealer says that you can no longer let the tractor idle at low rpm's or you'll quickly load some type of muffler which is supposedly expensive to have cleaned. Does this sound right? I'd appreciate some feedback from owners before I pull the trigger.

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I had a auto regen on my B3350 other day, perform perfect , I have all the updates on my B3350, I don't have to do anything just keep working the tractor, I wish it had the percentage meter indicator but it don't that would be a great help.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm interesting in buying a new L3560 or a L4060 with cab but the regen has me a little worried. I test drove a 3560 yesterday at my dealer and overall liked the tractor but was surprised to hear that you have to run it at higher rpm's even when your sitting still. The dealer says that you can no longer let the tractor idle at low rpm's or you'll quickly load some type of muffler which is supposedly expensive to have cleaned. Does this sound right? I'd appreciate some feedback from owners before I pull the trigger.
I have had my 3560 for two years, and it is true that idling will increase the particle accumulation in the dpf filter, BUT the life of these filters is very long, and the regen frequency is pretty low as reported in various posts from users that have the 3560 and 4060s. You get to know your tractor, and if you watch the bar graph you get some sense of what is going on. The L 60 series tractors have entirely different engines and dpf regen mechanisms from the 3350s. There have been no problems reported on this forum of consistant regen problems in this series like some of the 3350s. Under my very gentle use the tractor has regenerated about 6 or 7 times in 2 years and 200 some hours. Regens take about 15 min. It accumulates about 2-4% of the filter to warm the tractor up, and then either adds no more, accumulates very slowly, or DECREASES if you are using the tractor hard, eg I could burn off 20% mowing the back pasture. I don't think I will require a new dpf filter within my lifetime.

So the only user practices that I would recommend is consolidate your tractor uses as much as possible to minimize cold starts, turn the tractor off if you need to stop work for more than a few minutes, use as high an rpm as makes sense for the task, and don't worry about it. The engine design gives it good fuel efficiency at high rpm's

In my opinion the features in the 60 series are worth every nickel. I bougnt mine without really knowing what they were, but really appreciate them. If you are thinking of a cab you will really want this series, just look at the noise threads for cabs on the B2650s, and I have just been looking at them, since I can't face another MI winter. The 60 series have a different kind of transmission so there is less noise for the cab to magnify.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I love my L3560! Just got mine the beginning of July this year and has yet to re-gen with 30+ hours on it. I usually run my RPMs @ ~1350 which is about 1/2 WOT. I too shut mine off if it's going to sit for more than a few minutes and this isn't an issue because it starts so easily... I just touch the key and it's running again.

Good luck and I wouldn't worry about it!
Ted

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As a past owner of an 08 Stupid Duty that blew up twice and current owner of an 11 with multiple issues, be scared.
While not scared, I am leary. One successful regen cycle isn't enough to instill confidence, for me. That's why we (myself, and my father) won't buy any new tier 4 stuff. The new 5065e that dad bought was pre-DPF, and my 790 has no emissions equipment.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
I would also see many advantages with a pre tier 4 unit. For most of us a new such unit is not available. I bought a grand L3560 HST about 2 months ago and 102 hours or so as of today. About half using brush hog, about a quarter box blade and front end work. About a quarter of the hours with forks moving stuff. I keep the unit at abut 1500 rpm idle and turn it off if it's not moving in general. Heavier work it's set at 2000 rpm and brush hog at around 2500 rpm. I think it's done the regeneration three times so far. Twice while brush hogging and once while box blade / FEL work which I just kicked the rpm from 2000 up to 2500 when I saw the bar getting close to the 100% mark. My understanding from the manual is I can delay the regen if I really need to for a tiny bit of time or I can go ahead and force it into regen ahead of time if I need to in case of timing the work being done with the regen. For me the HST gives me a constant hydraulic pressure and attachment control that the auto throttle does not do. With 3 speed ranges and the hi / low setting I think the HST is a great set up for my needs. I have used the auto throttle very little and so do not have much info on its use. I have used the auto throttle setting mostly for moving the unit on roads a few times. So far the regen has been no issue for me in any form or fashion.

dj2016

Equipment
Kubota L3130
Oct 2, 2016
Woodstock, Illinois
Thanks guys for the regen information on the L3560. It’s always great when you can talk with someone who owns one and has first hand knowledge. Since I’ve been shopping for one I have heard different things from some of the dealers which has made me nervous about making the purchase. I have an older 3130 so it will be a big change for me, both in how it operates and in the wallet! However, it sounds like if I keep it revved and don’t leave it idling I should be good to go.

I’d also like to add a front blower to the 3560 but again I’ve heard that I would need more horsepower and should move up to the 4060. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I’d also like to add a front blower to the 3560 but again I’ve heard that I would need more horsepower and should move up to the 4060. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I use my 4060 for snow plowing / blowing, mowing 6 acres, and loader work. There will be a properly sized blower for a 3560, and it is plenty of tractor. Blowers will slow even the largest of tractors to a crawl. With the HST you can go at the exact slow pace to allow the blower to process the snow. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to snow removal. My preference is a rear blower and front blade / bucket. The 7' front SSQA blade will be new for me this season, and the quick attach is awesome. The reasons I like a rear blower are that they are significantly cheaper, I can quickly switch out to my rear blade, and most importantly I can keep my loader on. The loader blower combo was perfect for the 35" NE blizzard we got last year. That was on an L3410 open station. Capable but miserable.
Other considerations are a cab (I'm done plowing or blowing on an open station tractor!), rear remotes (blower chute controls), and a third function remote up front for an angling blade. Also, loaded rear tires are a plus for snow traction.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
On my 3560, I have had it for just over 2 years and it has just gone thru its second regen. I pump up the throttle and take it out of auto-throttle and keep on working and it finishes regen. in about 10-15 min. It was a little challenging to remember to set the regen. button when I start the tractor and to turn it off instead of letting it idle while I do something off the tractor, but I'm getting used to it and it works fine.