rear power down for 3pt l3830

tsutxn

Equipment
l3830
Dec 6, 2014
bullard, tx
Looking for a way to make my l3830 have rear power down on the 3pt instead of just gravity. The setup now does not work well with my disc and blade as I can't force them into the ground. I m thinking I ll have to add a remote just not sure the best way to go about it. Thanks in advance and pictures would be appreciated if you have them.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you want more down load your gona have to weigh the implements down.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Weight on the implements is the simplest and most common method. There are very few tractors- Belarus is the only one that comes immediately to mind- that has power down.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Like others have said, add some additional weight to your implement. I have a 5' box blase that normally works great without extra weight. This past week I had to rip up some frozen ground (2 -3") and then up to 6" below that. The box blade would not do if with 5 rippers on it. Added 2 -80lb retaining wall cap stone to it, still not enough. Added 2- 50lb dumbbells and in 1st and 2st gear, no problem ripping the frozen ground. Weight is everything.

tsutxn

Equipment
l3830
Dec 6, 2014
bullard, tx
I ve added two 55 gallon drums full of water to both implements and it helps a little just does not dig the way I hoped it would. The disc might go an inch down at a time and this is a heavy tandem disc with cutter disc up front. In reverse I can really get the disc to dig because the weight of the tractor is forcing it down. Is there a way to keep the rear lift from floating? This is makes it difficult to disc or blade out high spots as it forces the implement up instead of cutting though terrain.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I ve added two 55 gallon drums full of water to both implements and it helps a little just does not dig the way I hoped it would. The disc might go an inch down at a time and this is a heavy tandem disc with cutter disc up front. In reverse I can really get the disc to dig because the weight of the tractor is forcing it down. Is there a way to keep the rear lift from floating? This is makes it difficult to disc or blade out high spots as it forces the implement up instead of cutting though terrain.
Are the disk angles adjustable? If they are it's possible they are not set for the best cut, another option is your going to have to use a different type of implement to get the job done.
Disks do not work well on hard packed ground, you need a shank ripper or a spring type cultivator to rip it up then disk it down.
Power down 3 points only work on very large and/or heavy tractors and they are not that common, most are floating, just works better!

Last edited:

tsutxn

Equipment
l3830
Dec 6, 2014
bullard, tx
Looks like a good reason to buy more implements! Thanks for the help guys and glad I got on here before I wasted time and money.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Looks like a good reason to buy more implements! Thanks for the help guys and glad I got on here before I wasted time and money.
Alright now we all know you get it LOL!
What Wolfman said is true, need to bust the crust with something else before you can do anything with a disk. I've got a Belarus with down pressure on the 3pt and all you'd do if you had that function on your tractor is break disks and wipe the bearings out of it quickly. Best is of course a plow then follow with a cultivator and finish up with a disk. The right shovels/points on a cultivator will do an excellent job on it's own at breaking up the ground, just be aware it takes a lot of power the wider they are and the more of them you have as you pull it. My 8 foot wide vibra shank cultivator with 17 shovels will stop anything shy of 100hp dead in it's tracks when you set it down deep.
My 57hp Belarus would pull 11 points as long as I didn't get deeper than 6 inches and careful about which direction I was going over our rolling hills.

A money saver hint: If you have a neighbor near by with a big tractor and the equipment needed to bust it up you might be able to get them to run
over and bust it up even if the didn't do what they normally do on their own fields saving some money.
Al

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If you have put 800lbs of weight on the implement and it is not doing the job, then you really need to look at what you are doing and what it is that you are doing it with.

I know that this is late, but the problem with putting down pressure with the 3pt is that all you are doing is picking up the back of the tractor, thus loosing traction and or putting much more stress on the front drive axle. So like was already said, you need either a big and or heavy tractor before the down pressure thing really works without causing other bad side effects.

As far as your rear blade not cutting, for these to work well you really need to have about 100lbs per foot width or more and have the cutting edge set at the proper angle. Most of these blades simply do not weigh enough, so to be able to make full use of them, very common to have to wait for the ground to be damp to be able to get much work done.

Just sort of how it is.

Good luck. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
As mentioned, wrong implement. Farmer up here breaks it before discing. He got a lot of fieldwork done just before snow started, and the disc he used after deep tilling did a fine job. But did two passes where he could. Had half done secund pass and sure could see the difference.