Re-using Tire Ballast, Possible?

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
First of all the dealer I bought my tractor from repaired a tire that's been leaking since day one. That repair was $105 to patch the inside and refill. I went out this morning to notice the tire was flat again. I called Messick's this morning and ordered two new tires and wheels for $108 each and about $40 shipping. I'm pissed at my local dealer for not calling me with some idea of the cost for the repair when I knew I could buy a new tire and wheel for so little. I'm extra pissed now to discover that their fix was no fix at all.

I'll want to fill these tires with ballast and was wondering if I could somehow re-use the fluids they installed. Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you get tubes? That is a must have unless it's beet juice ballast.

And yes you can reuse it, but if the tire is flat isn't it leaking ballast too?

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Well, it's not exactly flat just dented real bad. I didn't notice a leak, strange I know.

Thanks for the tube idea. What if I just put in air and use rear ballast when using the FEL.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Even if you use a weight box, or even another implement, not having weighted tires means you have to put something on your 3-point which makes your tractor longer and less maneuverable. I have wet rears and am using the FEL all the time as a 4WD wheelbarrow. I get stuck on the slightest grade but can get out with 4WD. The wet rears really help get traction as well as help with balance. Its great not having to hitch up a box scraper or big mower just to use the FEL.

As I understand it, the water in the "tars" is just water and some percentage radiator anti-freeze, which is cheap. A lot of the dealer save flushed coolant for tire filling. While 50-50 is normal for engine use, I vaguely remember 10% for preventing freezing. That would be one jug or less per wheel.

Anyone know for sure?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
There have been a lot of different liquids used for in tire ballast over the years. Ranging from plain water (better hope it doesn't freeze if you use that) to windshield washer anti-freeze. Foam is used for weight in a lot of construction equipment such as skid steers.

One of the most common anti-freeze additives used in farm tires was calcium chloride, which is basically a very strong salt. Its good points are that a gallon of solution weighs something like 10.5 pounds, whereas water is 8; and if mixed strong enough it doesn't freeze or even get slushy until something like -40 degrees.

The bad things about Calcium Chloride are that you need to replace the valve stems every few years or they will start dripping, and if you get a flat you really need to wash the rims with soap and water to get the salt off or they will corrode into partial wheel shaped pile of rust.

With that being said, when I worked in a tire shop in high school, we always reused the fluid, only adding more water and calcium to ensure the tube was full. That was about thirty two years ago.

These days, I would put something non corrosive in the tube.

Robert

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
If you use something non corrosive, why use the tube? So easy to plug a tubeless tire.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you use something non corrosive, why use the tube? So easy to plug a tubeless tire.
If your tire looses some air pressure and the bead dismounts because of it, without a tube inside, the liquid will all come out. With a tube and a small leak, you are less likely to loose all your liquid. Also, with a tube it is easier to get all the liquid pumped out if you need to change the tire. Yes, liquid ballast in tires can be reused forever. Do not use regular automotive antifreeze in your tires if you have animals. If you get a leak, even a tiny one and the animals lick it up, it will kill them. If you use an antifreeze, use a non-toxic one like RV Antifreeze. Foam is used in construction equipment tires to prevent frequent flats, not add weight. It adds a little weight, but foam weighs very little per square versus any liquid.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That was one of the reasons I heard of using Prestone-like products: Anti-corrosive and freeze resistant.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Advise against using standard anti-freeze.

Ethylene-glycol is seriously toxic to all animals and the evil part is, it's sweet tasting so if you have a leak and your farm animals or pets find it, just a teaspoon is enough to kill them. There is no antidote. This is also why you deal with radiator fluid leaks immediately.

Polypropylene-glycol is what is used for 'environmentally safe' anti-freeze like Sierra, etc. It's also in RV anti-freeze and is used as an artificial sweetener. It's safe for humans and pets, and is also used as an anti-freeze additive to water for tractor tire ballast. If you wait until spring time, Wall-Mart carries it in the gallons and unloads it by the ton for fairly cheap since nobody freeze proofs their RV's in the spring.