Rake

Skip44

Equipment
Jeeps, L2900, FEL, tiller, brush hog,post hole drill, rock rake
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
My question is this, I own a bit of land that has been logged. After the loggers left there was a lot of debris left on the ground. I was thinking that a rake on the back of my tractor might help with the clean up. What do you think?

Skip

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it will work great as long as you can get around the stumps.

Better recommendation if it's just small stuff would be to chip it or mulch it, your woods will love you for it. ;)

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Yes it will work great as long as you can get around the stumps.

Better recommendation if it's just small stuff would be to chip it or mulch it, your woods will love you for it. ;)
Chipping is in the plan after I get the slash in piles. Then I can us it for my chickens as well as mulch.

Skip

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If your place is like mine was after the logging the stumps will be the killer. For me the rake was a waste of money and the loader bucket wasn't much better. I had better luck using forks so I could get in between the stumps.

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
If there is enough room, the rake should work. But as soembody said, alot of stumps could make it a pain. Another item that would help in brush removal is a grapple bucket. That is a bit more expensive, but they look to work great to collect and pile brush. A grapple bucket is one of those things I would like in the future, I have been looking around online at them. Biggest thing I saw that would be an issue is the weight of some of them. They do make some lighter ones, around 500-600lbs, which is what I would need. Just another idea to think about.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Well I bought the rake, and it works pretty well. There are some stumps that get the way and I need to find a way to clear them. But over all it works.
Hear are some pictures of the land, there is a lot more work to be done but it is getting there. On one picture you can see where I got done, on another there is a pile of wood that I picked up and loaded into the FEL so it wouldn't get stuck in the rake. Latter this year I hope to have a bon fire. I also have been digging up some rock and they are going on the rock wall that is already there. Plus I am extending the rock wall, there is no shortage of rocks.

Skip

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ohhh to be young and ambitious again,:D ya got your work cut out for you and yeah in Maine I don't think you will find a lack of rocks

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
Well I bought the rake, and it works pretty well. There are some stumps that get the way and I need to find a way to clear them. But over all it works.
Hear are some pictures of the land, there is a lot more work to be done but it is getting there. On one picture you can see where I got done, on another there is a pile of wood that I picked up and loaded into the FEL so it wouldn't get stuck in the rake. Latter this year I hope to have a bon fire. I also have been digging up some rock and they are going on the rock wall that is already there. Plus I am extending the rock wall, there is no shortage of rocks.

Skip
Good for you we had ice out on the pond last night, went out today and pushed back SNOW banks yes snow banks to help dry the road should be gone soon we hope!!!
looks dry in your neck of the woods. post again as to how your rake works on other things.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
The snow is gone but there is still some ice on the lakes. The ground is really wet, so I can't get ready for planting. But I can get some work done on the new property.

Skip