Radiator shot on L1500

cliftyman

Equipment
L1500
May 10, 2016
Bowling Green, KY USA
I was so excited last night. I've been working on my L1500 project since Feb. I had to seal some pinholes in the fuel tank. It held so I filled up the steering box with gear oil (which I had to rebuild), mounted the tank and dash and starting reconnecting electrically connections.

I drained the radiator a long time ago so I put the hoses back on and filled er up and watched coolant start shooting out of all sides of my radiator!

I pulled the radiator out and I have it in my truck now. I don't know a lot about mechanics... just learning as I go. Is there some way to repair this radiator? My Dad said they might be able to fix the core at a rad shop? I looked online and a L1500 radiator is anywhere from $300-$400!!! That's about what I gave for this tractor.

I saw a used one for $150.... there is a big Kubota yard in Paducah, KY near where I'm from so I might get lucky over there.

Just wondering what it takes to repair a radiator? My guess is they could repair a leak but not a radiator that has multiple leaks all over it?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Call the salvage yard and see if they have one, and if so how much? Then take the radiator to the repair shop and get an estimate. At this point you have to be ready to tell him to repair it, or leave and go get the salvage yard one.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I experienced a similar problem with a similar tractor. What did work (although only a temporary fix in my situation) was a can of Bars Leak for about $8. It closed up about 5 pin hole leaks in the rad and I was back in business.