Rabid animals

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm not a vet but the fact it is SITTING in the road with a blank 1000 yard stare going on with a truck and human 10 feet away doesn't scream domestic to me. Screams problem of some sort.
Seen plenty of humans do far more crazy things especially in the last couple years. :rolleyes:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Little old lady managed to domesticate a flock of wild turkeys near our old house. Darn turkeys would follow you around like a dog. How we found out about it, was when one came up onto our neighbors back porch and started pecking at his sliding glass window. 😂🤣😂🤣😂

First thing he said when he called me to get us to come over to check it out was " I swear to you I haven't been drinking!!!!" Followed by "your not gonna believe this shi......!!!"😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
and then he said "Hold my beer!"

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Posted this a while ago:

Had one daylight run-in with a skunk back in 1986.
Drove to my property to do a plot plan, stake the four corners of the cabin, and photograph them for my building permit application.
Was just about finished when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. It was a large skunk, in broad daylight, (maybe 10AM) and it was coming towards me, so I headed to the opposite side of the car to keep the car between me & him. It proceeded to follow me around the car, not running, but walking fast.
I decided that this critter, in daylight, acting like this, was not a good thing, so on lap three I grabbed a .22 target pistol from the car and ran off about 10-15 yards. It followed me, so when he was clear of everything, I drilled him dead center in the top of his little haid. He just dropped like a sack of taters. ( no spray)
I called the head F.S. Ranger, (just 4 mi away) and he said he'd be right out. He and a Fish & Game guy agreed that it was pretty out of character for a skunk, so we shoveled him into a doubled plastic garbage bag, and he drove it down to ASU. He called me a couple days later and confirmed it was rabid. They put out a county wide rabies alert. He also told me to pour gas, diesel, or paint thinner on the spot where it had bled, but I had already done that.
Never did figure out where it came from; I have lots of burrows on the land, but the F&G guy looked at them all & said it was not from any of them.
Potentially scary stuff.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Whenever you see abnormal behavior, rabies is certainly a possibility. Gray fox out in daylight is clue 1. Sounds like something neurological was going on. Daron was wise to just leave it be.

Was in Health Department in the '90's when Raccoon Rabies blew through here. Some people can do the darnedest things to get themselves in trouble.

Probably had 3-4 times that people stopped at roadkills and checked the fox, raccoon or coyote's TEETH...literally stuck their fingers/hands in their mouth.....REALLY?!?! :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Whenever you see abnormal behavior, rabies is certainly a possibility. Gray fox out in daylight is clue 1. Sounds like something neurological was going on. Daron was wise to just leave it be.

Was in Health Department in the '90's when Raccoon Rabies blew through here. Some people can do the darnedest things to get themselves in trouble.

Probably had 3-4 times that people stopped at roadkills and checked the fox, raccoon or coyote's TEETH...literally stuck their fingers/hands in their mouth.....REALLY?!?! :rolleyes:
We had cases about 8 years ago around our area. They were reporting rabies in bats and skunks.

Area I saw the fox in was about 90 miles north east of us.