R.I.P The beloved Garden Tractor

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
when ?
When 'marketting' figured out a new name would boost 'sales' up over the moon !!!

same guys also call a 4 door, 4WD, big V-8, computered to the hilt, 3' off the ground, 5' box.... a 'pickup truck'.......
probably the greatest con job in marketting of the century.

lawn tractor ....stays on green grass
garden tractor... works IN the garden

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This may help. At this time there were half a dozen small tractors competing for the number one spot. JD, Ford, Yanmar, Kubota etc.

1703079149567.png

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I haven't seen a Bolens mentioned. I had a couple before the BX. One had a loader on the front and a 3-point hitch on the rear. Also had a rototiller attachment, and a 54" mower deck. Could pull a York rake until it ran out of traction.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The question stands:

So then did we just evolved the garden tractor into the sub-compact ?
Not IMHO !
Lawn tractors still DO exist.
They are sold every day by Lowe's, HD and others.

Last edited:

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
when ?
When 'marketting' figured out a new name would boost 'sales' up over the moon !!!

same guys also call a 4 door, 4WD, big V-8, computered to the hilt, 3' off the ground, 5' box.... a 'pickup truck'.......
probably the greatest con job in marketting of the century.

lawn tractor ....stays on green grass
garden tractor... works IN the garden
The higher the truck, the lower the IQ

Reactions: 2 users

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I still use my old Cub Cadet garden tractors. They were built before everything changed to cast aluminum and plastic. I consider the BX24 a sub-compact since it has the same size rear tires as a large Cub Cadet garden tractor.
IMG_8192.jpeg
IMG_8191.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My oldest son has a JD318 ( 1984 ? ) with original Onan engine.
Still runs like a Swiss watch!
I had a 318 for many years. It broke a rod and I elected not to rebuild the Onan Engine. Instead 'parted' it out.

Seems there is a very dedicated following of collectors/uses for older JD lawn tractors. I still have parts in my shop but sold nearly $3000.00 worth off that tractor (not kidding).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
have owned two 318 JD's. Decent little mowers. The Onan (now cummins) engines had a tendency to break rods. "Most" of the time it didn't do enough damage to anything, dinged up the block a little but usually could just pull them apart, put a rod and sometimes a piston in, and send it. The Comparable Kohler H-twins never had that issue to my knowledge. If you've seen the Onan's rods, you'd understand.

Had a 400 for a while too. Was a trade-in where I worked, I got it cheap and fixed it up & used it a while. Sold it to the neighbor who just HAD to have it (and put me in a bind for a mower because the craftsman died too). The 400 became a 200. What they never made a 200? Yes. Broke a rod off and neighbor is STILL using it to this day, vibrating and running on one cylinder. That was, 2011 I think? Pretty sure it was '11. I talked to him the other day and asked him if he was ever gonna fix it. As long as it's running, I'm not messing with it. Well ok then. So he owns a half of a 400 JD.

Bought a 425 once with a broken cam. Should have kept that one. Great little tractor. I just wanted a 455, and had to sell the 425 to get the 455 I wanted. Guy sold the 455 while I was on my way to pick it up. My luck. Then came to the realization that I really didn't need a mower that large for my little place so I picked up a free LX188 from a guy I used to work with (when they sold JD). He bought it new, to cut 6 acres of grass and realized quickly that it was not big or fast enough, so they parked it and it sat. I got it, had to rebuild the carb and put a hood on it, but it was like a brand new LX188. I loved it. But at the time I didn't think about it, but 4.9mph max speed, was slow. Replaced it with a G1900-S which I would still own if the deck wasn't rusty. Then got a $75 ZG127S, and put a $700 shortblock on it. Had 21 hours on the meter I think, she dusted the engine and abandoned it when warranty wouldn't pick up the tab. I think I have 140 on it now; no plans on ditching it anytime soon.

but yes the market for the larger mowers and garden tractors has kind of gone away. At the time a 455 JD and a JD 2305 (I think that's what it was) were within a few hundred dollars price of each other; so why would anyone get a mower when a full-fledged tractor was $400 more money, and would accept a loader, box blade, rear blade, belly mower, etc. We sold a ton of those little SCUT's before we got out of selling Deere stuff. Then the BX's got real popular, and I understand they still are. BX1500 was dirt cheap for what you get, BX1800 a better deal and better optioned. I doubt Kubota could sell a garden tractor (per say) for enough of a discount vs the BX, to justify it's cost to most consumers. A few maybe, but a few ain't paying the bills unfortunately.

someone mentioned a GR2120. Also junk. Maybe better than an old craftsman, but in time they also need repairs and such. I hated them for the customers' sake. At the time $12,000 and frequently in the shop, often transmission issues but also drive shaft issues, glide steer cable issues, glide steer issues. Rarely engine problems as the little engine is as close to bulletproof as they can possibly be-aside from running out of oil, infrequent air filter maintenance and overheating.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I bet my garden tractor has been bored since the last time I mowed. Must be lonely out there in the shed.

MelanyKirby

Equipment
NA
Feb 15, 2024
USA
The marketing game can be a bit tricky. A 'pickup truck' these days can indeed be a far cry from the classic image. And you nailed it with the distinction between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor – one's for the green grass, and the other's the real workhorse in the garden.

By the way, have you ever thought about adding a touch of charm to your garden by planting creeping thyme? It could be a delightful addition!

Last edited:

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
The marketing game can be a bit tricky. A 'pickup truck' these days can indeed be a far cry from the classic image. And you nailed it with the distinction between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor – one's for the green grass, and the other's the real workhorse in the garden.
Shaft Drive now means $12,000. Garden Tractors are now Sub-Compact tractors. Pickups are now, in my mind, costing more then my house when i bought it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Shaft Drive now means $12,000. Garden Tractors are now Sub-Compact tractors. Pickups are now, in my mind, costing more then my house when i bought it.
Pickups can now easily cost 3x what I paid for my 1st house.
$21,300 x 3 = $63,900