push shipping container

sundy58

Equipment
BX25D
Feb 2, 2017
Frisco, TX
I need a shipping container next to my new shop, Home Depot rents a BX25D, with backhoe and bucket, will it push a 40' shipping container (8300 lbs empty) on a smooth city street?

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I have my doubts. It all depends on how much friction the container has vs the BX25. The BX25 loaded is about 2500-2700lbs (with FEL and BH). Pushing 8300lbs may be a stretch for the little machine.
Others may pipe in with different answers, but 4 small tires vs metal skids on the same surface may be an issue. On top of that, can a little tractor even push 8300lbs?
Home Depot also rents out larger machines, the store here (in my town) has what looks like a larger B series or L for rent for almost the same charges.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Could you get pipes under it to act as rollers?
if you put a set of rollers made from pipes under it..... you could push it with just a couple people....

getting that first little bit of lift to get the pipes under it is the hard part.

we use a much bigger machine to move these at work.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My neighbor has used his B2150 to move a 20' (loaded) container a couple of times on dirt, using (2) 8" steel pipes 10' long, some blocking, and a pair of hi-lift jacks. Takes some planning & re-positioning of the pipes for steering, but beats having pay for bigger equipment & a large trip charge.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like others have said, if it's on rollers on a hard surface then maybe, just pushing or dragging without rollers, Nope not going to happen! ;)

Last edited:

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
My Grandfather moved a large house about 1/2 mile.
He did this in 1907 using his 2 mules, rollers and house
jacks. This was uphill pretty much all the way. His rollers
were trees and he surely didn't do it in one day.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Now that I reread your original post, it sounds like you need a shipping container
next to your new shop
why don't you just have it delivered where you need it?
Unless it is already on your property and you have to move it? :confused:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
You have three things to consider:
Can you get it moving?
Can you keep it moving under control once you start it moving?
Can you stop it from moving when you need to?

Until you can answer yes to all three, do not start.

RustyW

Equipment
L3430GST
Sep 20, 2016
Muldrow Oklahoma

That's a 12k lift trying to lift a 20' container. That's a M70 holding the back of the lift down so it would lift the container off the ground enough to slide some telephone poles under it so we could move it around & load it on a trailer.

That's the M70 trying to pull a container on skids, notice I said trying. We had to get a lift.

We got'r did though, it wasn't easy.
I realize grass/dirt is different that asphalt but I think you'll need a bigger piece of equipment to handle it.

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
If it's on a hard surface, you could rent some heavy equipment moving skates (think like the rollers that let you push a car sideways in your garage, only with heavy duty rollers), and lift each corner with a high-lift or hydraulic floor jack to put them under the skids, then use the tractor to push it. The skates have a swivel built into the top, so you can turn them to maneuver the connex as needed. I used them when I built telecom shelters to move them around the warehouse and outside to get them ready to put them on trailers with a large forklift. Just go slowly, when we used them on the shelters, we made brackets with pinch plates to hold them to the skids. Otherwise, if the surface is unlovely, the skates tend to come out from under the skids. Invite some friends over, and don't forget the liquid refreshments.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If it's on a hard surface, you could rent some heavy equipment moving skates ...when we used them on the shelters, we made brackets with pinch plates to hold them to the skids. Otherwise, if the surface is unlovely, the skates tend to come out from under the skids. Invite some friends over, and don't forget the liquid refreshments.
GREAT info. never knew such an animal existed. Will need some soon to move my one ton axle (in weight... not in truck type). cept need ruff terrain/ grass and gravel

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I moved a small building up a gentle grade over grass and sand using pipe rollers once. I laid scaffold planks down for the rollers to ride on, raised the building up with a row of bottle jacks to slide scaffold planks and pipes underneath the building, and tugged it with my car (Roadmaster Estate Wagon -- didn't have a tractor in those days) and a snatch block.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
if you have some chain, I'd use a pickup. might need to add ballast to the pickup, but it will help. we moved a 40 foot container at a friends years ago with his trusty old 1st Gen Cummins dually, we were doing another project at the same time so he had a full pallet of concrete for ballast, a granny low 1st gear and then put it in 4 low. it drug it with some patience and good pedal controls to not let the tires slip too much. (note it was a well worked 1st gen truck with some large mud terrain tires on it.) you could always combine power. BX pushing, pickup or pickups pulling. the heavier the better.

the BX can do a lot....and I'm not saying it's not worth using it. I just don't think on it's own it would do well.