purchase

kjk

Sep 24, 2012
uncasville CT USA
I'm getting ready to purchase a new L3200 HYD with loader and BH. Here is my dilemma. I have three local (30/50 miles)dealers that have good reputations within $2k of each other on price. Or i can order one from 900 miles away that can ship it here, has a good reputation and can beat the lowest price locally by 3k even with shipping included in the price. I usually am loyal to local dealers if they are near in price. How much risk is buying a new tractor from another state. I'm in connecticut and they are in Kentucky. They supposedly ship to new england frequently.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Kevin

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If its brand new I don't see where it would be a problem if they can beat the price and ship it to you for less then what you can find locally. Atleast parts and service will be dealt with close by and I do believe the local dealers should be able to handle the warranty issues if one should arise as well. I'd say go for it and save the three thousand dollars and use that money to buy yourself some new toys to go along with the tractor.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Money talks and the local dealers have no excuse for not matching the price. If any of them refuse to perform warranty work call Kubota as any dealer has to treat every tractor the same whether they sold it or not. Sounds like the local dealers are getting a little comfortable with their prices...it is a big wide world now with the internet and they better get on board.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would take the quote to my local dealer and see if they would match it. If they won't it makes you wonder how good they were in the first place. 3k is a huge price difference for the same model tractor.

My local dealer sux and because of that I have bought 2 new ones from a out of state dealer without any trouble.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I agree with Bulldog. Take the quote to the local guys first and give them a shot at matching it. If they will, then buy locally. If not, order from the other state.

They have nobody to blame but themselves if they lose the sale. Also, they won't have much of a leg to stand on regarding bitching at you about warranty work if you can say to them that you wanted to buy from them, and even gave them first shot at matching the price, but they chose not to.

Then, as others have said, if they screw you around call Kubota.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I also agree with Bulldog. Give the local dealers the chance to lower their price- you have to look at it from their perspective. One, they have a huge investment that they have to pay for- they need more than your parts sales and warranty work. Two, you have no idea what the business principles are of the KY business- they may be underselling for all you know, doing something stupid, and setting a price level that others can't meet. Lots of people work for nothing- it hurts everyone. And three, if I were the dealership and someone wants to give their business to another dealer, but expect me to tow the line, give them first rate warranty service, and put them on par with others who bought from me, I'd be a little disgruntled. It costs money to run a business- we are quick to point fingers when the dealer is higher than someone else, but we have no idea what it takes for them to make the bottom line. Myself, I would give the local dealerships every opportunity to match that price, and then, if they didn't, I would have low expectations from them when it came to warranty service, etc. That's business.
I don't know about you guys, but I can't put beans on the table working for nothing. Why would I expect anyone supplying a service not to make a profit?

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Outta curiosity, Whom/where is that Ky dealer? I could possibly know them or about them.