Pull type box Scraper

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
Decided we needed a pull type box scraper, to level the drive way.
Bought a 4.5' King Kutter brand BB for my B2150.
Brought it in the shop and started Welding up a tongue for it.
The tongue will be detachable and the wheels won't be, but they will raise up enough not to be in the way to continue to use it as a BB

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahh,,,not to sound to stupid,, but what are you going to drag this with?? You have a tractor with a 3 pt,yes?

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
Yes but a 3pt BB just moves the dips and high spots. the long tongue will allow the tractor to go over bumps and through dips without changing the grading height of the blade. i have used an 18ft pull type behind a large JD for grading in the past. it is amazing how level they can get a piece of ground in one pass. i built a 3pt 2" reciever awhile back and will actually pull it with that. so i can adjust tongue height as well for finer control.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Good looking welds.
I never thought about offsetting the blade behind like you are doing; that's clever.
I always thought the perfect road leveling device would be a mid-mount blade.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Good looking welds.
I never thought about offsetting the blade behind like you are doing; that's clever.
If you have an extremely long wheelbase as found on road graders you would be correct. Road graders also have the advantage of slight leveling adjustments on the move.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
This looks to be a great idea to me. You'll probably be adding weight to the blade?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you have an extremely long wheelbase as found on road graders you would be correct. Road graders also have the advantage of slight leveling adjustments on the move.
Not true. Grouser Products makes them for medium size tractors to larger ones. And with a quick search on Google you can see some blade put on lawn mowers.

http://www.grouser.com/belly_blades.php

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
Good looking welds.
Thanks, there not perfect, but there better than the welds on this BB. i think drunk Ivan musta welded it on his first day on the job, heres a couple comparison pics. I passed a 2F GMAW test for a job interview a few years ago. my welds would look better with better prep since i'm welding galvanized here, but i was being lazy.

How does the tongue frame fit over the lower pins on the box blade? I can't tell from the pics.
I attached a pic, there is a 3/4 plate with a 7/8"'s notch cut in it. Then there are 1/4" plates with a notch cut in them swivel up and pin on.

This looks to be a great idea to me. You'll probably be adding weight to the blade?
Thinking about welding a bracket to hang 75lb IH suitcase weights on the back. may also weld a box up in the tongue to throw big rocks it digs up into.

Not true. Grouser Products makes them for medium size tractors to larger ones. And with a quick search on Google you can see some blade put on lawn mowers.

http://www.grouser.com/belly_blades.php
always had it in my mind to build a MM blade. my father had one for his JD 317 mower when was a kid. it was amazing how well it cut through a crust. i may get around to it some day.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well when you get it finished I sure would like to see some before and after pics of what ever your trying to level

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd hate to burst ya bubble but this idea just hit me like a ton of bricks! You could have saved alot of time, money and hassle by not hooking up the top link of the 3pt and letting the box flex and bend up and down with the contour of the ground. I do believe you'd get the same results.

maj_primate

Equipment
B6100 HST
Jan 6, 2013
Summerfield Florida
Seems to me, that without that fixed point on top, the box would be bouncimg all over the place, the front of the box would just pivot down and you would lose control over the attack angle of the blade.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
I got some more work done tonight. finished the hitch, and started on the wheels.

there will be one cylinder to raise and lower both wheels together, and a seperate cylinder to just raise and lower the left wheel an additional 3" each way, for making a crown etc.

waiting on my spindles and wheels now.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice work, nice welds. Looking forward to seeing it finished & in action.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I got some more work done tonight. finished the hitch, and started on the wheels.

there will be one cylinder to raise and lower both wheels together, and a seperate cylinder to just raise and lower the left wheel an additional 3" each way, for making a crown etc.

waiting on my spindles and wheels now.
I agree withLil Foot- nice looking work!