PTO spline alignment

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to tractors. I've had my B2601 for about 9 months now and keep struggling to get the PTO spline on the tractor to line up with the PTO spline on the attachment. So, when I try to install the PTO shaft, one side or the other doesn't line up.

I usually adjust the spline on the attachment side by hand, but this can be tricky, especially if it doesn't want to turn easily.

Are there any tricks you guys know of to help with this? Is there a tool that will help -- maybe a spline tool on a socket I could connect a breaker bar to?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Michael

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Re: PTO spline allignment

Put the PTO lever in neutral (or in position between gears), then you should be able to free spin the PTO shaft by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

As mentioned - placing the tractor pto in the "off" position should allow you to rotate the entire pto shaft as you place it over the implement. Placing a screwdriver in the yoke to help you turn it will help also.

Another thing to consider too - the sliding pto shaft will slide out from one another - it only goes back together ONE way! A sharpie or something that can mark on both shafts will help you slide them back if they need to come apart.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Make sure your tractor engine is turned off.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to tractors. I've had my B2601 for about 9 months now and keep struggling to get the PTO spline on the tractor to line up with the PTO spline on the attachment. So, when I try to install the PTO shaft, one side or the other doesn't line up.

I usually adjust the spline on the attachment side by hand, but this can be tricky, especially if it doesn't want to turn easily.

Are there any tricks you guys know of to help with this? Is there a tool that will help -- maybe a spline tool on a socket I could connect a breaker bar to?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Michael
This is something that you will need to learn to deal with.

One thing that will help is to avoid removing a rotary cutter in grass. Removing it inside or in a cleared area allows the PTO shaft to be easily turned.

Depending upon the design of your tractor, putting the PTO engagement lever in the off position may or may not allow the PTO shaft to be turned by hand.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

New tractors have PTO brakes on them, so there is no putting it neutral, doesn't matter if the tractor is off or not.

The only way to deal with this is have a tool that will allow you to turn the PTO shaft on the implement.

It is usually easier to attach the implement, lift it up so you can spin the shaft easier.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA

Mine’s a 2016. Could it be brand specific? In any case, I only discovered that by accident and utilized the trick. In the past, it was indeed a pain to wrestle with the implement to get the shaft lined up. Can’t imagine not having that ability to use the PTO in neutral & should be standard on tractors.

If there are PTO brakes, what’s the purpose?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Safety, stops the implement when off and reduces the risk of a fluid couple spin (PTO spins with implement off just from the fluid passing the gears).

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Most tractors with PTO brakes are designed to be turned by hand at least 1/2 turn with the engine off to allow easier hookups.

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA

You guys are great! Thank you so much. Putting the PTO lever in the "front" position allows the rear shaft to spin freely. It perfectly solved my problem.

As an FYI, my tractor is a 2017 B2601.

Thanks again to you all!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Mine’s a 2016. Could it be brand specific? In any case, I only discovered that by accident and utilized the trick. In the past, it was indeed a pain to wrestle with the implement to get the shaft lined up. Can’t imagine not having that ability to use the PTO in neutral & should be standard on tractors.

The real purpose is lawyers.

SDT

Husker

Equipment
B2601
Apr 18, 2015
Western TN
I have a B2601... great tractor...
as others have correctly stated... put the PTO in neutral. ..put on a glove and turn the tractor PTO by hand...tractor should be off.
check the groves on the implement and then move the tractor PTO to closely line up. Shouldn't have to move too much.