PTO shafts 101

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
Greetings...I have a couple of questions about PTO shafts, for example, how many sizes are there in the compact tractor world, how many spline configurations, what percentage of them turn the same direction and how standard are the speeds for rear mounted PTOs? A link to PTOs 101 would be nice if any of you have one handy, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers...eddie

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The PTO shafts for the Cat 1 three point hitch are universal and will interchange with any brand on any machiene. The only real difference is the lenght of the shaft weather it be used on a mower or a post hole digger. They all turn in the same direction as the tractors PTO which is more commonly in a clockwise direction. And 540 rpm is pretty much the standard speed for PTO's to turn.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Eddie,

I have only heard of one person that had a missfortune with a pto screw up. A friend of mine was telling me that his nieghbor had just bought a new L 5040 Kubota. He found a used Bush hog 3008 that he felt sure his tractor could handle. I had advised against it just because of the sheer weight (almost 2000#) of a cutter this size be he said that his tractor would be able to handle it and that the price was just to good to pass up. After geting it home he found a little surprise. When he tried to hook it up he found out it had a 21 spline 1000 rpm pto shaft on it. He didn't notice it and the seller didn't think to tell him that he had ordered it with that set up.

Although this is rare to run into in the compact tractor world I guess that those lines can be crossed at times.