PTO driven stump grinder for small tractors

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
This is normal bank related fee ^ it's percentage based on the total amount by your financial institution.
Wanted to let folks know who are looking at one of these grinders. I got hit today with the charge finally on my card. I noticed it was for more than the invoice said so I logged into my bank and noticed you get hit with an international transaction fee on top of the price (because woodland mills is based in canada), which added $77 to my price. Not a big deal, but thought I would share it. This may also vary for different cards or banks. That makes me want to try even harder now to find another source to purchase grinder teeth that will fit the wg24. If I have to pay that fee everytime I buy a set of teeth that is nearly doubling the price for a set of 6. The fee may perhaps be a certain % of the actual price. I will look more into it later, but I just hate paying added fee's.
That's interesting. I just looked and I didn't get charged any additional fees. I rechecked my CC statement to verify...no additional fee. What gives? Invoice copy below:

Capture.JPG

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Yeah its frustrating, just another way your financial institution makes money, depending on your bank and particular account “features”.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yeah its frustrating, just another way your financial institution makes money, depending on your bank and particular account “features”.
I'd have to call BS on that. They should be happy that you are using their card.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Yeah unfortunately it doesn’t work like that anymore. It can also vary by country per your institution. Some bank “products” will offer no fees if you do a lot of international traveling and transactions.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Hey PaPow. The grinder is $2299 and Freight shipping is $299. Grand total charged to my card was $2598.00. There is no tax.

The shipping is pricey because it does not ship with Fedex or UPS or something. It is shipped on an 18 Wheeler freight truck to your doorstep. The unit is strapped to a metal crate and then boxed, so it weights 500lbs. They will deliver it to your driveway, lowering it down with a liftgate. Hope that answers some questions :)
Thank you for the information Tornado! ;)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
That's interesting. I just looked and I didn't get charged any additional fees. I rechecked my CC statement to verify...no additional fee. What gives? Invoice copy below:

View attachment 49709

Yes this added fee is not charged by woodland mills, so it doesnt show up on my invoice either. It shows up on my credit card as a banking fee. "International transaction fee" is what its called. Not a big deal. still worth it. Just was surprised to see the added $77

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Fortunately, I was not charged anything additional. I used my main business card.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well, with the stump grinder on the way, I decided it was time to finally stop looking at, and finally purchase, the telescoping stabilizer sway bars for the 3pt hitch. Placed the order only to be emailed that they are out of stock and aren't scheduled to be back in till December. Just a couple months ago Messick's had over 100 units in stock but I didn't order then. I may check around today if other online store have them in like colemans or others and consider cancelling messicks if so. Not a deal breaker, just had hoped to have them before stump grinder arrived :(

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yeah unfortunately it doesn’t work like that anymore. It can also vary by country per your institution. Some bank “products” will offer no fees if you do a lot of international traveling and transactions.
Hey B737, has your unit shipped yet? I think you ordered yours just a week or two before me right? Just curious if yours shipped out in a batch before mine or if we are in the same batch. I was told on the phone that mine would ship out with the stock that is expected to arrive on October 29. The lady suggested its possible they get it ready and it ships the 30th, Friday, but that more than likely it would ship the first of the next week, On or about November 2. She then said 3 to 5 days to Florida , so I would think I could have my grinder possibly by end of next week, by the 6th of November or so. I assume the freight shipper picks up multiple orders and makes stops all along the way to me here in Florida, probably dropping off saw mills and wood chippers and other grinders along the way. 3 to 5 days seems ambitious to me, I was surprised when the lady said that. I understand they come out of New York state, and have to arrange for multiple deliveries I assume as they work their way to me.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I was told mine was coming by a common carrier. They probably just hit the "Yellow Freight" (or whatever company they use) terminal in Buffalo and load out on regional trucks from there.

They thought I would have mine by Friday.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
@Tornado im surprised the L doesnt come with telescoping stabilizers? I believe the B series do. I will be taking the ones off my BX soon to re-sell them. They are prob the best thing next to a quick hitch.

My unit hasn't shipped, I haven't called to ask but I've had no word from them since the post order phone call. She said early to mid Nov, so im not expecting anything till then. I dont think ~5 days is unreasonable transit time down to you...

My PTO leaf blower came by common carrier from Canada, the thing to NJ in 3 days, pretty incredible.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
wow, speak of the devil, what timing, i just got an email that said mine shipped! Tornado you should be very close i think our orders were a day apart, you are prob going out today too. shipped via R&L

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
wow, speak of the devil, what timing, i just got an email that said mine shipped! Tornado you should be very close i think our orders were a day apart, you are prob going out today too. shipped via R&L
My invoice did say that it would be shipped R&L as well, which is a shipping partner Ive seen on most of Woodland Mills deliveries. The lady said that they were expecting a fresh batch of stock on October 29th. I know these grinders are manufactured in China, so Im sure they get bulk deliveries on a timeline, and I was just assuming October 29th was their next delivery of product. If yours just shipped today then that means either my theory is wrong and they are getting stock much more frequently, or, the stock scheduled for October 29 arrived early.

I felt 3 to 5 days was ambitious for way down here in Florida because I just imagine an 18 wheeler full of saw mills and other woodland mills products likely has to make many stops along a route as they work toward me, unlike UPS or something where packages are swapped between trucks an airplanes and distribution centers and is moving 24/7. I figured the truck they load my grinder on is the same truck that will pull up in my driveway, and I suspected the same driver as well. Maybe I just have no real clue how freight shipping operates lol. I cant imagine they move products from trucks that would take too long. I imagine a truck driver having perhaps a dozen stops along the route to florida, and having to work with all those dozen customers to meet for delivery, drop off at their place, get back on the road etc. Driver has to sleep. 3 days seems ambitious! Ill post back when I get my shipping notice.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
R&L will work the same way fedex/ups; consolidation/distribution centers, sort, and sent out to next segment, until the final hub. I wouldnt be surprised if yours is in the same batch. I have a tracking number but it hasnt populated yet.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
R&L will work the same way fedex/ups; consolidation/distribution centers, sort, and sent out to next segment, until the final hub. I wouldnt be surprised if yours is in the same batch. I have a tracking number but it hasnt populated yet.
Interesting. I looked up R&L online they are indeed a much bigger operation than I had thought they were. I have no ship notice yet. I would be stoked to see it ship this week.

I'm a little disappointed that I delayed on the telescoping stabilizers as they would be helpful here. The L2501 comes with the el cheapo turnbuckles, and a turnbuckle that only has a single nut on one side, so these things never stay where you put them. They constantly loosen up. Not being able to lock it down from both ends of the turnbuckle is annoying. Its not a deal breaker though, I can make it work :D

EDIT: on the R&L website I used their transit time tool to do a little test from buffalo NY to my zip code and it says 3 days transit time. If it was shipped today it says delivery date this friday lol. That would be wild. Not expecting that at all though. Im not expecting mine till end of next week at the earliest. Any sooner than that will just be a treat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
i think our orders were a day apart, you are prob going out today too.

According to the other thread I just noticed it appears you ordered yours on October 7, at least that is the date you posted that you had placed the order. NHS ordered one on October 6. I didn't place my order until October 19, a full 3 weeks after you guys. I have been given the same sort of delivery window however, early November. I'd be curious if NHS has received shipment notification.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
i might not have a tractor to pick this thing up off the street when it arrives :ROFLMAO: The irony.
Ah sounds like you may be in the next batch Tornado, Oct 7 was my order date, mine is prob with NHS.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
This is nuts... R&L carrier just called and told me its being delivered tomorrow! the tracking number still hasnt updated in the system

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
hahahaha, glad to see you guys so excited...like a kid on xmas eve. Best of luck to all of you. I do hope that you'll be happy with the woodland mills. I'd really like to get one of their chippers at some point...

Tornado, I thought that you were going to be using your quick hitch rending telescoping links moot? I will say that you will want to lock it in as much as possible to keep it from jumping and walking to the right. I'd have to agree with you on the turnbuckle links....I had them on my BX23 and they really sucked. They were pretty light duty (unlike those on the L series) and I had to replace them a couple of times. I do appreciate the telescoping units on the B. It makes 3pt hookups a breeze and I can easily change how much "Play" I want in them.

Kevin, since you wont have a tractor to put yours to use, you can use mine and grind some new stumps at my place! I'll have some more to do tomorrow am. ;)

Best of luck guys. Don't forget to slip your clutch and set to proper HP setting...remember to remove the locking pin...and grease BOTH bearings. I put some fluorescent tape in my pin so I don't forget to remove it before grinding....oh, check the torque on all of the tooth nuts.

Looking forward to seeing your reviews and getting your initial thoughts.

Steve

• Haha