PTO driven stump grinder for small tractors

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Tornado,

Congrats. Hope it works well for you.

I didn't have any pine stumps so I can't make a prediction on those. Perhaps, they were troublesome for some folks because they can be too soft? I noticed that the oaks that I did (only a few, with one being a red oak) got a little "stringy" and seemed to jam up around the teeth a bit.

The only other issue that I can think of with pine would be if the stumps were southern yellow pine. That stuff is hard as a rock. I had a hell of a time nailing in rafter hangars into my SYP beam years ago.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Here's an example of that "other" method of stump removal...This one was a 16" maple that had partially uprooted in the wind and could not be ground using the stump grinder. It had to come out the hard way. All in, it was about a 4 hour job. Most of the time spent was filling the hole.

As I said before, using a backhoe for stump removal is less than ideal. :(

View attachment 49552
Yea, a backhoe would simply not work. Counted 75 stumps I need out yesterday, and that was just a quick headcount, there are more than that. Digging out that many stumps would just turn my yard into an absolute mess. I have several areas where like 7 or 8 stumps are all clustered, and in those areas i would literally end up digging a small pond to get them all out Just not feasible at all. Even if I owned a backhoe I wouldn't attempt to do this. I know with my stepdads tractor, which is comparable to a B2601, some of the live oak stumps he couldn't even get them out with the backhoe, he had to get down in the hole and cut and chop and then dig some more then cut and chop, the backhoe just didn't have the power to rip some of the roots. I just have no interest in that. Stump Grinding by contrast will be relatively painless.

Is that a septic tank hump behind your tractor or just a natural hill? Down here in florida any hump like that is almost 100% a septic tank lol. Love the fall colors in your trees too. You clearly arent in the south. Wish we had nice looking yards like that with all the leave colors :(

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is that a septic tank hump behind your tractor or just a natural hill? Down here in florida any hump like that is almost 100% a septic tank lol. Love the fall colors in your trees too. You clearly arent in the south. Wish we had nice looking yards like that with all the leave colors :(
Yes, it's an elevated sand mound (ESM). Think of it as an elevated standard septic system. They rarely do standard septic systems around here anymore, so, ESM's are required. The other reason I have one is fairly evident in the stump hole...my place is on "Swamp Road". A standard septic system would never work here.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yes, it's an elevated sand mound (ESM). Think of it as an elevated standard septic system. They rarely do standard septic systems around here anymore, so, ESM's are required. The other reason I have one is fairly evident in the stump hole...my place is on "Swamp Road". A standard septic system would never work here.
Interesting. It seems from the photo like you drove over it. Down here, driving anything more than a lawn mower over a septic tank is a nono. In my backyard for example if I have my tractor back there I take a wide birth around just to not drive over my septic. My septic is flat, but I know where it sits.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just looked at the WG24 stump grinder product page again and happened to notice that just in the last couple hours they updated the page to now say " Expected to ship within 3 weeks. " rather than 5 weeks. Maybe that means Ill be getting mine a little sooner :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Interesting. It seems from the photo like you drove over it. Down here, driving anything more than a lawn mower over a septic tank is a nono. In my backyard for example if I have my tractor back there I take a wide birth around just to not drive over my septic. My septic is flat, but I know where it sits.
There is no tank under the berm, only laterals for drainage. Sewage collects in a 1000 gal 2 chamber tank. Wastewater is gravity fed to a separate pump tank, then pumped to the elevated sand mound.

In my case, the limiting zone would be clay/high water table.

ESM Cross Section.JPG

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Interesting. I get so many spam and robo calls on my phone I dont answer numbers I dont recognize so I likely will miss the call. Hopefully they leave a message and I can call right back. Thanks for this heads up though.
You will get an email as well.

I should be getting mine in next week.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I was looking around online for a place to buy teeth for the WG24. Not a lot of options but I found the following site that sells a tooth specifically for the WG24. Anyone ever used them? Trying to see what my options are for teeth. I ended up not buying extra teeth with the grinder

www.xtremewearparts.com

EDIT: It appears you could also probably use the teeth for the Baumalight 1p24 as well if you wanted to. They look identical. https://www.shopgreendealer.com/24-...umalight-stump-grinders-wld001627-no-nut.html

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well I got my phone call as you all said I would. Spoke to a super nice lady who went over shipping information. They want to make sure an 18 wheeler will have no problems accessing the delivery address, and they want to verify your tractor PTO HP and they also asked if my tractor was a hydrostatic transmission. They wanted to just make sure the stump grinder would work well with the tractor (clearly trying to avoid issues with incompatibility before they ship you a unit, which is very nice.)

I also took the opportunity to tell the lady that they have a great reputation in online communities. I told her about our forum here and how several of us on the Kubota forum have one of these stump grinders on order. I was not aware but she told me that if I knew the name of someone who owned one and who referred me to them, I could give them their name and that person would get a $100 referral credit with them. I told the lady I knew his handle on the forums but not his name, I was thinking of you dirtydeed! I think there are a handful of current WG24 owners on here we could have probably given credit to and gotten them this $100 credit. Just something to think about.

Anyways. I got really good news on the call. The lady said they were expecting a shipment of wg24's on October 29, Thursday. She expects my unit will ship that very next week, the first week in November. She says 3 to 5 days to get to Florida, so she suggested I could have the stump grinder by mid November! That's pretty darn fast. I was expecting middle of December sometime. Got me a little excited

Reactions: 1 user

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I thought these stump grinders were $2700
Just checked the website: $2300
Shipping ?

Hey PaPow. The grinder is $2299 and Freight shipping is $299. Grand total charged to my card was $2598.00. There is no tax.

The shipping is pricey because it does not ship with Fedex or UPS or something. It is shipped on an 18 Wheeler freight truck to your doorstep. The unit is strapped to a metal crate and then boxed, so it weights 500lbs. They will deliver it to your driveway, lowering it down with a liftgate. Hope that answers some questions :)

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I was not aware but she told me that if I knew the name of someone who owned one and who referred me to them, I could give them their name and that person would get a $100 referral credit with them.
whoever kicked off the WG24 bonanza, i think it was NHS or DD, is due for like $600 in credits :ROFLMAO:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
whoever kicked off the WG24 bonanza, i think it was NHS or DD, is due for like $600 in credits :ROFLMAO:
No kidding! I would have 100% given them dirtydeeds name if I knew it. His sharing his experience here was a big deciding factor for me. If anyone happens across this thread keep this in mind :) They offer referral credits! The kicker the lady told me is that the person would have to already own it, it cant come from just someone who ordered one and is sharing research information. The lady was really friendly and conversed with me on this topic for several minutes. Their customer service is top notch. I think they are all Canadians. The lady I spoke to had a clear Canadian accent. The phone number came us as Canadian also

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
you guys are too kind. maybe woodland mills could send a six pack of teeth to me and Bird dogger. That'd be fine with me.

If you hear from her again, let her know my order number was #111130 placed 8/6/20. Name is Steve Titus

ps. My only hope is that you all are as pleased with the grinder as I am. It's a significant chunk of change.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
you guys are too kind. maybe woodland mills could send a six pack of teeth to me and Bird dogger. That'd be fine with me.

If you hear from her again, let her know my order number was #111130 placed 8/6/20. Name is Steve Titus

ps. My only hope is that you all are as pleased with the grinder as I am. It's a significant chunk of change.
As much as an extra six pack of spare teeth might come in handy sometime....I'd have to donate them here,I wasn't the first to have the WG24. Pretty sure I first read about them on this forum somewhere also. I agree with you, Steve, if our testimonials help someone with their decision making, that's great!

On the other hand.....if AgriMetal offered a referral bonus on their PTO powered leaf blowers I could possibly lay claim to first spotlighting that implement......:unsure: But again, the real reward is in helping someone out.

Maybe we could get Woodland Mills to send all owners here a complementary hat!!:D

Regards,
david

• Haha

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Tornado,
I forgot to say "Congrats" on your new acquisition!! Looking forward to your thoughts and best methods of use for the WG24.
david

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You might be able to save a little money if you order something large like that by picking it up from the freight line distribution center. The rate is lower and they will fork it onto your truck or trailer. That works if you live near the DC.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Wanted to let folks know who are looking at one of these grinders. I got hit today with the charge finally on my card. I noticed it was for more than the invoice said so I logged into my bank and noticed you get hit with an international transaction fee on top of the price (because woodland mills is based in canada), which added $77 to my price. Not a big deal, but thought I would share it. This may also vary for different cards or banks. That makes me want to try even harder now to find another source to purchase grinder teeth that will fit the wg24. If I have to pay that fee everytime I buy a set of teeth that is nearly doubling the price for a set of 6. The fee may perhaps be a certain % of the actual price. I will look more into it later, but I just hate paying added fee's.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
This is normal bank related fee ^ it's percentage based on the total amount by your financial institution.