PTO driven stump grinder for small tractors

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My poker buddies bought me a new stump saw and a bunch of goodies today. I have 2 other huskys but nothing that will handle a big bar so I needed a bigger saw. I got 3 bars with it and 2 chains for each. So I now have a small, med and large saw. If this can't handle the stump, I wouldn't want to grind it with the WG24 anyway.
View attachment 49998
That "thing" is a grinder in and of itself! hahahaha... Poor stumps don't stand a chance with you.

Reactions: 1 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
well, I thought I had missed the shipping for this week then at 11:30pm tonight I got the email with the tracking number. Its already on the way. Ill have it first of next week. I really hope it doesnt fall on election day. I volunteer for our local supervisor of election and will be out literally all day long that day.

EDIT: I see now in the tracking page it says delivery date Wednesday. Good deal.

Reactions: 2 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
well I got a text this morning asking me to call R&L to schedule delivery, so I did first thing this morning. Delivery is for between 2-5pm tomorrow. (y)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I didn't have to trim the PTO shaft on it so that was nice. Looks good with the little saw. I won't carry the big saw on it.

grinder1.jpg

grinder3.jpg

grinder2.jpg

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I done about 20 stumps today. Water Oak, Live oak, and Pine. Live Oak was the worst to grind. Its an incredibly dense, hard wood. The grinder chews up pine pretty easily. Ill try to get some pics up later

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I done about 20 stumps today. Water Oak, Live oak, and Pine. Live Oak was the worst to grind. Its an incredibly dense, hard wood. The grinder chews up pine pretty easily. Ill try to get some pics up later
Tornado,

That's great to hear you wacked 20 of them already. I do hope it was worth the wait and $. How's your neck?

No question for me at all. I "created" 3 new stumps yesterday. I think I'll wait until I have some more to do at one shot since 3 stumps is "child's play" now.

Be sure to check on the teeth. Make sure they didn't loosen up at all.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Tornado,

That's great to hear you wacked 20 of them already. I do hope it was worth the wait and $. How's your neck?

No question for me at all. I "created" 3 new stumps yesterday. I think I'll wait until I have some more to do at one shot since 3 stumps is "child's play" now.

Be sure to check on the teeth. Make sure they didn't loosen up at all.
You guys need to pace yourselves!! :ROFLMAO:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
OK, I have 6 stumps under my belt now. 2 dead, 2 pine, 2 oak. 12-30" in size.

First impression is really impressive with one major flaw (I made a mod to address the flaw). With my B2650, I am not taking inches at a time and making it disappear, however I am able to take consistent passes removing nice big chips. There is a certain speed/feed that seems to make it happy.

I was not able to see the wheel from any angle while sitting on the tractor so I added a spot mirror so I can see where the wheel engages the stump. By mounting it where I did, the angle to the front of the wheel is always right on. It is a huge improvement. Nothing seemed to hit it, and I was able to easily see it while grinding. I thought the vibration maight render it useless but I was wrong, it works great even under load.

stump-grinder-1.jpg

stump-grinder-mirror.jpg

stump-grinder-mirror-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Got another 10 or so stumps today. Im grinding most of them down so they are just below ground level then stopping. Just enough to get them where I can easily run over with lawn mower. Im trying not to grind deep into the dirt. Though, I am wondering if sand actually dulls these teeth. I know on a chainsaw sand will dull a blade fast, but these big teeth moving at just 540 pto speed, I wonder if its only impact that dulls them? Time will tell I guess. Im about 30 to 35 stumps in on mine in the first weekend and I am not seeing the slightest of dulling. It still is chewing stumps as fast as the first stump it seems to me. I don't a massive pine stump today and got a wheelbarrow full of nice pine shavings. They looked almost identical to what you buy in a store so we will be using all these pine stumps for shavings from now on. We use them in our dog kennel and other areas.

EDIT: forgot to mention, yes I have pulled/sore muscles in my neck lol

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's a great idea NHS.

Congrats to both of you and hope you have continued success.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I sure like your mirror mod, NHS! It looks both simple and effective!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I sure like your mirror mod, NHS! It looks both simple and effective!
Thanks. It works much better than I expected it to.

My mind went to video camera/monitor first being the time and age and all, but some old tech just can't be beat.

My wife helped me position it, that took most of the time. I would get it close, then start the next piece, try it, guess, build etc. Using the 4"h target as a "visual" stump helped a lot as well. Those two views are with it sitting in the same spot.

They really should ship it with one. Not being able to see where the death blade drops seems like a liability.

Judge - Why did you chop your buddies foot off.
Operator - I couldn't see it based on the manufacturers design.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well I will say I think the Quick Hitch does interfere some with vision of what you're doing as well. I can tell if I were to drop the QH15 I would have better vision. Once I got my starting spot on a stump I finally got to where I could almost do it without turning around much. After watching several videos over the past weeks of people using this thing I can say many folks use it incorrectly. Its really important that you start grinding on the side of the flywheel nearest the debris shield, so the wheel kinda pulls itself into the stump, rather than trying to ride up the stump if you start on the other side. If the unit starts bouncing around and jarring a ton then you likely have crossed the mid point of the flywheel. This requirement is heightened substantially on harder wood I notice. On Pines you could get away with it more, but on live oak, hard, dense woods, you really need to watch your placement on where you start grinding and work through the stump from that side.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well I will say I think the Quick Hitch does interfere some with vision of what you're doing as well...
I think if I took the QH off on the B2650, it would bring the unit even closer to the tractor making it even harder to see the wheel. The QH actually reduces the sight angle.

Diver 6

Equipment
L3800 HST
Mar 11, 2017
Dade City, FL
Got my Woodland Mills stump grinder about 2 weeks ago and was finally able to set it up this weekend. How refreshing to have a manual written in proper English and very detailed. Set up was a breeze except I had to buy a caliper for the slip clutch adjustment. Practiced on a few stumps before dark and am very impressed. As I live in a pine forest, this thing will do everything I need. So a question to all you Woodland Mills owners. Did you find a use for the welded metal shipping frame the stump grinder came in? This thing is too nice to trash. Did some rough measurements and it appears it will hold 12 propane tanks perfectly for my emergency generator. Any other ideas?

Reactions: 1 user

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I think the tractor changes things - I could see the blade perfectly from the seat on my L3901... I haven't tried it on the new MX5400 yet.

Attachments

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Got my Woodland Mills stump grinder about 2 weeks ago and was finally able to set it up this weekend. How refreshing to have a manual written in proper English and very detailed. Set up was a breeze except I had to buy a caliper for the slip clutch adjustment. Practiced on a few stumps before dark and am very impressed. As I live in a pine forest, this thing will do everything I need. So a question to all you Woodland Mills owners. Did you find a use for the welded metal shipping frame the stump grinder came in? This thing is too nice to trash. Did some rough measurements and it appears it will hold 12 propane tanks perfectly for my emergency generator. Any other ideas?
I ditched the "frame" but I use the metal pallet to store the grinder - I bolted casters on the 4 corners to (somewhat) easily move the grinder around in the shop. I set a piece of plywood across the pallet so the grinder doesn't rock.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My mobile cart is similar to what TX Chris has. I added some leg restraining blocks on the top of the wood platform. they hold the grinder in place while you tug on it to roll the cart over to your tractor for hooking up.
WG24 Leg Restraints.jpg WG24 Mobile Cart.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Same here. Bottom became the cart with the addition of some castors. The frame became another nice shooting table with the addition of some 2x6's for the table top.

dollie.JPG