Propane Grill Recommendations?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not in a rush, but sometimes fall begets sales/discounts.

I'm rough on a grill. I work them hard and hot. Use quite a lot of marinates with oil. Fires, etc. ensue.

I went through a good, but cheapie grill every 3 years, with new burners at 18 months. A few I had the base castings melt/disfigure so the lid wouldn't close...

Then I got a Home Depot "Medallion" grill made by Vermont Castings... a low end version of the VC. Grill area was 39" wide and it lasted 10 years. Loved it, but it doesn't look like VC makes grills anymore.

Current grill is a Weber Summit in stainless. About 10 years old. 4 burner with side burner, which I could care less about. It's on the high-end side for Weber. List was $1,500, but bought for $900 back then.

My complaints with this grill are (1) too small, (2) grates are heavy rod, not cast, and too far apart, and (3) the burner controls are not infinite, meaning it goes to "low" and that's it. I want one that can feather control to less than low....if it still exists for safety reasons...

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Current grill....it’s been through a lot of battles. Just too small and don’t like controls.

1B427790-8E85-481F-814A-CDF298A3C120.jpeg

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
I'm rough on a grill. I work them hard and hot.
Wow, yah. Grill doesn't owe you anything here. Think you got your $900s worth.

You looked at Napoleon? They make nice (and pricey) grills. I'm on a Weber too, which is a solid grill, but think Napoleon might be my next stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You looked at Napoleon? They make nice (and pricey) grills. I'm on a Weber too, which is a solid grill, but think Napoleon might be my next stop.
Mr. K - -

I have looked at Napoleon over the years, along with several others of that supposed quality. They are pretty proud of their product. As long as it delivers, that's fine.

While I have you, thank you so much for OTT. I greatly appreciate it, as well as you, Vic, Wolfman and Coach.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Does it have to be propane? I thought you mentioned not long ago about wanting to get into smoking meats. I have never had a propane grill (besides using my dad’s occasionally). Very convenient but missing the grill taste for me 🤷‍♂️

I was shopping for an electric smoker a few years ago because I didn’t want something I had to babysit constantly. New grill was also something I kind of needed, was using the classic 22 inch Weber charcoal grill. Ended up getting a pellet grill and it is pretty versatile in what you can do. It is kind of like a tractor in that its a jack of all trades, master of none, but with some time you will figure it out.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

I have the smaller version of this and if it broke today I doubt it would be 24 hours before I had a new one. Everything just taste better especially after you've had it for a while, hell even the beer taste better if that's possible. Good luck with your search.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Does it have to be propane? I thought you mentioned not long ago about wanting to get into smoking meats. I have never had a propane grill (besides using my dad’s occasionally). Very convenient but missing the grill taste for me 🤷‍♂️
Yep - - needs to be propane.

I use the grill 12 months. We get dark at 4:30pm in January and I get home at 5:30. It can be 0 F degrees. While I don't grill a lot then, I need convenience.

You're right that I'm thinking of a smoker, but that's a separate deal.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have the smaller version of this and if it broke today I doubt it would be 24 hours before I had a new one.
There's a few guys here with griddles. I think Fordtech has one.

I used to run 9 lineal feet of griddle myself as a kid working in one restaurant doing short-order work (full service diner - not a fast food place).

I've looked at the griddles in the stores many, many times....I know I could make that thing sing!

I just have limited room to store one, because I'd still want a propane grill...

Storage is an issue with a smoker, too.

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY

I have the smaller version of this and if it broke today I doubt it would be 24 hours before I had a new one. Everything just taste better especially after you've had it for a while, hell even the beer taste better if that's possible. Good luck with your search.
I really like my Blackstone - wanted one for a while and I am glad I bought it. It gets used a fair amount. I also have a Weber gas grill and a Weber 22in charcoal. I have an electric smoker just because it is hard to get propane low enough for things like salmon. I just picked up an offset wood smoker that I haven't used yet but can't wait to try a pork shoulder on it 🐗

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My wife bought a 4 burner char-broil ,,,, it wouldnt even heat up hot dogs,,, I changed out the valve ass and regulator and still a POS,, so I wouldnt say to buy one of them

and while I dont like the grill I do enjoy the grillin music

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You couldn't give me a propane grill. Don't want one. Propane is for heating and cooking on a stove, not for BBQ'ing.

That stink that is in propane (odorant) gets in your food too. Pizz on that.

I only cook my meat (and everything else) and smoke it on Chunk charcoal and have for years.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I vote Napoleon. The one I have is a 48,000 BTU Prestige 500. Seems like I paid around $1,000 for it. It is very well built and what I really like about it is the burners and grill inserts are both made out of stainless. We recently bought the commercial rotisserie for it, just haven't had the chance to use it. Another consideration is that replacement parts are readily available. The grill performs as advertised. I can cook a 2" filet mignon in 20 minutes (from starting the grill to serving).

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just the thought of a propane cooked steak makes me gag.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well you would go pretty hungry around here ,,, just sayin

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well you would go pretty hungry around here ,,, just sayin
Why I'm here and not there... just say'in.

You have no clue what a good cut of meat really tastes like until you prepare it properly on a real charcoal fire (and I don't mean those pre pressed turd bricks either).

Real BBQ demands real hardwood charcoal. Sure it takes some prep (you don't turn on the gas valve), but it's worth it.

I've actually left gatherings where they were fake BBQ'ing on propane. That ain't BBQ, thats gas B que. Not eating the crap, total waste of good meat.

If I want Gas-B-Q, I can go to Burger King and get a gas cooked whopper.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You couldn't give me a propane grill. Don't want one. Propane is for heating and cooking on a stove, not for BBQ'ing.

That stink that is in propane (odorant) gets in your food too. Pizz on that.

I only cook my meat (and everything else) and smoke it on Chunk charcoal and have for years.
I tend to alternate between lump charcoal and wood depending on what I'm doing since I have a dual purpose grill and smoker.

Although I use the lump charcoal to start the wood.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
And here the man just asking about a grill 🤣😂🤣 Sorry RCW, no grill for you 🤣😂🤣.
The jury has spoken 🤣🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I tend to alternate between lump charcoal and wood depending on what I'm doing since I have a dual purpose grill and smoker.

Although I use the lump charcoal to start the wood.

I don't Darren. I use one of those chimney starters you put a couple pieces of wadded up newspaper in (the bottom) with the chunk charcoal on top and light it and in 10 minutes, the chunk charcoal is ready to go.

I have a 20 year old Brinkman grill, one of the ones that was made from a length of 1/8" wall pipe. It weighs at least 250 pounds. Think I've replaced the cooking grills and charcoal grates at least 5 times but the grill itself is just fine.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I don't Darren. I use one of those chimney starters you put a couple pieces of wadded up newspaper in (the bottom) with the chunk charcoal on top and light it and in 10 minutes, the chunk charcoal is ready to go.

I have a 20 year old Brinkman grill, one of the ones that was made from a length of 1/8" wall pipe. It weighs at least 250 pounds. Think I've replaced the cooking grills and charcoal grates at least 5 times but the grill itself is just fine.
I start my charcoal the same way.

Then if i'm smoking. I'll dump the charcoal from the chimney starter into the side box and load it with maple, oak, hickory, or apple fire wood depending on what flavor I'm going for.

I found that using firwood to smoke gives me a more consistent heat for a longer period of time which equals less baby sitting the dampers.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
To me, using propane to cook (BBQ) on is a travesty and cooking meat directly on a propane flame imparts the (yuk) odorant into the meat. Not ever for me. Cooking and smoking on chunk charcoal with say applewood added imparts a real flavor, not the stink stuff in propane.

I guess people don't appreciate the taste of real charcoal cooked food. and prefer the convenience of an instant stinky propane flame not that it takes all that long to get chunk charcoal going.. Never happen here, propane that is.