Prices for tractors going up due to steel costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I stopped by my dealer this weekend to discuss buying a few things and he informed me that Kubota is soon going to increase prices of new tractors by as much as 11% due to the rising cost of steel -- mostly on account of tariffs.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Not surprised. Us little guys are going to get beat up bad financially buy all these tariffs.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Trumps big mouth and attitude is killing the small business. I manufacture a certain product and every piece of metal and valve has gone up since the tariff thing. I voted for him. What a mistake.

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
No tariffs on american steel.

Uh, true...but since tariffs were put in place American steel is a rare commodity, the mills can’t keep up with demand. This drives the price up. Way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLTRAC

Feb 20, 2018
FL
Bring back cheap chinese crap, it’s not like that ever hurt American business. If only these businesses would have got a tax break to offset tariffs.. oh wait they did.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You must break some eggs to make an omelet.

Stay tuned.

SDT

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I saw this coming....bought beforehand

Our country's leadership has allowed us to get to a point where someone with the guts to say enough is enough finally is elected to do so.

It might get tough for a while, but the other end of this ride will be sweet!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I feel for the little guy I always have and have spent my money, where I could find what I needed to the little guy. Local farms local businesses, and these guys have hit hard times before, and they will again, and they will find a way to make a buck and stay working. Though there are the few that will rape the public as much as they can and make as much as they can through fear and blaming it on someone else.
Is it fun, easy, or cheap, no it aint, and we are all going to take a hit. I do however believe it is past time to put America first again, and when you look to see where something is made, and see Made in America smile because you know we are back. Just MHO you understand

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I saw this coming....bought beforehand

Our country's leadership has allowed us to get to a point where someone with the guts to say enough is enough finally is elected to do so.

It might get tough for a while, but the other end of this ride will be sweet!
Don***8217;t be fooled, the leadership is only looking to line their own pockets, not help the average men and women. All this tariffs is doing is taking money away from the average working class which already has too little to begin with. I suspect tractor and implement sales will start slowing down as people start to worry if increasing costs on all every day goods will take up the extra money that they might have had to spend on tractor related items. I am not saying that past leaders haven***8217;t slowly let our manufacturing industry go to pot, but this is not helping anything.

stutrac

Mar 30, 2016
Bethany ct
if it was made in the USA I would pay more, its not like the tractor is cheap to buy, my fuel pump went on my BX with 20 hrs and guess what fuel pump is made in china figured $30.00 for a new one but it was under warranty more junk as we consumers have to deal with,I would pay more if it was made in the USA and the issues we all deal with as buyers of kubota products also my steering boots split at 15 hrs and I bet they were made in China too more junk ,I would support an American worker who would build them and sell them theses tractors are not throw away tractors like the junk the big box stores sell and my dealer told me they are made over seas and the parts are too no wonder why it takes so long to get parts and now I know why they are so expensive replace with out any tariffs

cash

Oct 1, 2018
Pittsburgh
Uh, true...but since tariffs were put in place American steel is a rare commodity, the mills can’t keep up with demand. This drives the price up. Way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will be bad now, but manufacturing has to come back to America and Trump is trying to do that! Best thing that happened was him getting elected! If we get fair trade then it will be better for all.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Cash, welcome to the forum, but you should know that the forum has a policy of avoiding any hot button political issues to avoid the nasty discussions and comments that seem unfortunately to ensue. This thread is drifting in that direction.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
There is no reason for the thread to drift in a political direction. Most people know who they are and what they want.
Those who want a better America understand the tariffs are necessary to obtain that. Those who just want things better for themselves are never happy unless it affects them personally. That's also the biggest difference between conservatism and liberalism although it's never explained that way.
JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". But then we didn't have the political divide we do now.
And Kennedy was a conservative AND a democrat.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This is not me speaking, I copied it today.

"My brother in law is mid level exec at a large company. They made computer equipment for cars and their goods were subject to a 25% tariff if not made in China. A few years ago he was tasked with opening up a factory in China and manage it for a few years. At the last minute (after they sold their house) it fell through. This is what he told me. For the company to open a factory it had to be jointly owned with a Chinese company. The Chinese company would own more than 50% of the plant. All trade secrets needed to make the plant run would have to be given to the Chinese company.

When the company started to dig deeper into it they found out that what often happens is once the Chinese partner has access to your patents and trade secrets within a short period of time other Chinese companies start making the same goods the same way you make them for less. If you try to go to court to stop them the Chinese government pretty much says "no infringement" and dismisses the case no matter how blatant it is. Once that happens the other all Chinese companies suddenly get financial help from the government and in a matter of years you can't compete with them forcing the company to just buy from an all China owned plant. The conclusion was that it was a long term looser so they backed out of it.

China has over a billion people and it's government is going to do everything it can to keep them working. If that means a 25% tariff on US made cars then that's what they will do unless forced to stop. The fact that we only have a 2.5% tariff on Chinese made cars is our fault. Either we feel the short term pain and force China (and other countries) to play by the same rules as we make them play by to do business here or we will find ourselves selling raw goods to other countries while others produce the final product. It'll be hard to have a middle class if we don't stop this now. As it is automation is not far off and will change the landscape once again in some areas."

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I work many many hours and 7 days a week November through March , but I'd reather work 6 hrs a day 4 days a week and make the same as I make working 7 days a week. That for me would be the best business year EVER !!!

And Missouri is right. No need for the thread to be nasty. We all love this country.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
This is not me speaking, I copied it today.

"My brother in law is mid level exec at a large company. They made computer equipment for cars and their goods were subject to a 25% tariff if not made in China. A few years ago he was tasked with opening up a factory in China and manage it for a few years. At the last minute (after they sold their house) it fell through. This is what he told me. For the company to open a factory it had to be jointly owned with a Chinese company. The Chinese company would own more than 50% of the plant. All trade secrets needed to make the plant run would have to be given to the Chinese company.

When the company started to dig deeper into it they found out that what often happens is once the Chinese partner has access to your patents and trade secrets within a short period of time other Chinese companies start making the same goods the same way you make them for less. If you try to go to court to stop them the Chinese government pretty much says "no infringement" and dismisses the case no matter how blatant it is. Once that happens the other all Chinese companies suddenly get financial help from the government and in a matter of years you can't compete with them forcing the company to just buy from an all China owned plant. The conclusion was that it was a long term looser so they backed out of it.

China has over a billion people and it's government is going to do everything it can to keep them working. If that means a 25% tariff on US made cars then that's what they will do unless forced to stop. The fact that we only have a 2.5% tariff on Chinese made cars is our fault. Either we feel the short term pain and force China (and other countries) to play by the same rules as we make them play by to do business here or we will find ourselves selling raw goods to other countries while others produce the final product. It'll be hard to have a middle class if we don't stop this now. As it is automation is not far off and will change the landscape once again in some areas."
Excellent post.

No one wants to pay more but China is very much not our friend. They're screwing us left and right and it's great that we finally have a president who will at least try to do something about it.

They steal our intellectual property and recreate our products at a fraction of the price because they didn't have to do any real R&D. And in recent years it sure seems like it was getting worse. More and more I see guides posted online on how to differentiate between genuine American products and Chinese copies that are made to look like them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.